advertisement

Naim and what cap?

Discohund

I have a Naim XS-2 and since everybody says its a great improvement to add a cap I thought I would give it a try.
Im looking at used ones but which one??

Flatcap 2 or Hicap?

:confused:

Flatcap.

With pre amps (which is the part of the Nait powered by a CAP) the regulator quality is paramount and you really only require a tiny transformer and modest reservoir capacity siting behind it. A Hicap is 'overcap' as is the Flatcap but it's smaller and cheaper, so the one to choose.

'Everybody' will tell you the more expensive Hicap sounds better - that's the way with these things.

Personally I'd leave the Nait alone since it's great as a one box integrated.

I don't think a Flatcap would be much of an improvement, I'd be looking at Hi-cap, and their natural alternatives, Teddycap, or something modified from Avondale.

edit

Simultaneous post, and already 2 different opinions, ;-D

I have a Naim XS-2 and since everybody says its a great improvement to add a cap I thought I would give it a try.
Im looking at used ones but which one??

Flatcap 2 or Hicap?

:confused:

A separate PSU will power up the preamp section

Usually this is one hell of a good upgrade in Naim hiearchy BUT some report on integrated its a bit give and take, so try for yourself

A Flatcap has mostly air in the cabinet and doubt it will bring any improvement at all.
The advantage is however a FCII will power up two Naim(not the first gen. flatcap) say a pre & CD maybe a phonostage if this is needed, a hicap power one apparatus only.

A hicap is miles better than a Flatcap, if you can't afford it go for the older Snaps2 a smaller PSU from the chrome bumper era.

Ah well sir obviously that amplifier you bought for £1400 has been designed to sound broken without a hi-cap. A flat cap just makes it sound a little less broken- think of it as a high cap that doesn't work really. Other power supplies (Teddy cap Sonic Bliss etc) spoil the 'Naim sound' so should be avoided etc etc

1000x500px-LL-d0c2f0ba_naim-flatcap.jpg

naim-audio-hicap-inside.jpg

Thanks all! How about Flatcap XS? Forgot that one :)

Sorry to be blunt, but any flatcaps are complete crap. I seriously wonder why such product exist in the first place. Its not as if flatcaps are cheap in the first place.

Seriously, just get a used hicap instead. If not just get a Teddy cap.

Personally, the only ps i will only get is the supercap or the Teddycap. I had not heard the avondale ps yet, but I think they are highly regarded here as well.

I use a teddycap mk 3 with my nait xs and it makes a significant improvement in sound. Get a used teddycap - the best value for money upgrade for a nait

I used a TSC with my Superline and it was great. Sold it to a friend but have now bought another Superline and it will be another TSC. The cheaper Teddys look good as well.

If I get hold of a used Hicap or Teddycap that's probably where my money goes. As long as its no fantasy prices. Thanks all for the input!

Obviously the people who say the Flatcap is crap on an XS have not heard one. I use a Flatcap 2X on my Nait XS and it is a major improvement on an already very good amp. The Flatcap suits the balance of the Nait and keeps the general character... a Hicap does some things better but does alter the balance a little more which may not suit. Try it before you decide... a Flatcap2X for £300 used may be money well spent!

The photo above shows what is inside the flatcap (post number 9). What is the cost of making that ps? What is so unique about the old ancient technology used?

If the "flatcap ps" is put inside the nait xs in the first place, it would have maybe cost Naim way less than Gbp50 to do so. Naim get their customerised transformer from Nuvotem. If I am not wrong, it just require an extra secondary output from the existing customised transformer. Then link this output to a circuitry identical to the flatcap (which can be integrated to the existing pcb) and you have another "flatcap ps" inside the nait xs.

Of course manufacturer can charge whatever they want and consumer can buy it at any price they are willing to pay. That is perfectly fair.

Yes we know all that! but have you heard what it does to a Nait? You can critisise all you want, and there's a reason it's not put inside the amp. It does a lot for the amp, and worth the money on performance terms alone. Personally i could not give a rats arse whats inside as long as it sounds good.

its a clever game they play with the external psu's but unfortunately the amps do sound good. Have a look for a secondhand teddycap instead.

Flatcap.

With pre amps (which is the part of the Nait powered by a CAP) the regulator quality is paramount and you really only require a tiny transformer and modest reservoir capacity siting behind it. A Hicap is 'overcap' as is the Flatcap but it's smaller and cheaper, so the one to choose.

'Everybody' will tell you the more expensive Hicap sounds better - that's the way with these things.

Personally I'd leave the Nait alone since it's great as a one box integrated.

Totally seconded.
M.

(...) go for the older Snaps2 a smaller PSU from the chrome bumper era.

I agree with this: I have found an old Snaps, I have recapped and dual-railed it and am using it on my very late Supernait with excellent results, in fact I think that it is preferable to a HiCap regarding timbre correctness. It must be the H&F transformer.

M.

advertisement

Back