advertisement

MX5 purchasing

Paul, regarding the tinny sounding stereo.

I did 2 things on my Mk1 MX5, but I'm sure you can do it to yours.

Firstly, I took the door cards off and applied some thick, self adhesive bitumen tape to dead the sound. It worked, up to a point. Beware that this stuff is messy to use but cleans up with white spirit.

Then I replaced the speakers, finding a pioneer 3 way set, that fitted without mods, but had the lowest frequency response to get some nice bass.

Job done.

I will give that a go Anil, the stereo was set at default so no bass was dialled in at all, no treble either, not that it was needed. This car is a 1.8 with option pack according to the handbook which I have here, not quite sure what that involves but I think the list was leather wheel, leather seats, leather gearknob & handbrake, upgraded stereo from 4 to 6 speakers, sill plates, maybe more but more than enough for me.

I also downloaded the MyMazda app, dialled in the VIN, voila, service history online from new.

Yesterday was a return journey of 137 miles, £25 worth of fuel at £1.80 Litre, 44.6 mpg, speed was across country up to 60mph, M6 was the same speed, no need to go any faster, I cruised home.

Last job for today just finished, I have cleaned & conditioned the leather seats with Gliptone, I love the smell of leather once done.

Time for some beers & a chill at last.

Gearbox and engine oil change at the weekend weather permitting.

Any recommendations for these Rust Kure type of paint applications or are they all the same ?

I have been going over suspension & body components today with a drill type rotary wire brush, removal of surface type rust is all that it was, I want to apply a durable finish eventually but was just wondering whether rust conversion paint is required before main finishing paint or underseal.

I will spend a few hours over the next few weeks just tidying it up for winter, I will be driving this weekend.

Prior to cleaning up.

Last edited:
Had a short drive out before to collect my daughter from work, glorious here today. Even though I was giving it some beans across country the other day this is the first time on a few backroads down to the beach area at Crosby. On acceleration the exhaust was rip snorting away with the hood down, I thought it too loud when first collected, now though it is becoming intoxicatingly good.

Once home I had a quick clean of the engine bay in preparation for the oil, spark plugs, air filter, gearbox & diff oil this Sunday, I prefer working in a clean engine bay but won't be getting obsessive.

Had a short drive out before to collect my daughter from work, glorious here today. Even though I was giving it some beans across country the other day this is the first time on a few backroads down to the beach area at Crosby. On acceleration the exhaust was rip snorting away with the hood down, I thought it too loud when first collected, now though it is becoming intoxicatingly good.

Once home I had a quick clean of the engine bay in preparation for the oil, spark plugs, air filter, gearbox & diff oil this Sunday, I prefer working in a clean engine bay but won't be getting obsessive.

Looks great. You remind me of a friend of mine who keeps older BMWs in immaculate condition. I've always thought he'd be a great person to buy a car from :) but I couldn't face the running costs of his V8 BMWs.

Looks great. You remind me of a friend of mine who keeps older BMWs in immaculate condition. I've always thought he'd be a great person to buy a car from :) but I couldn't face the running costs of his V8 BMWs.

There is a lot of life in a lot of older cars, out there are loads of well cared for cars that deserve to be driven.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for these Rust Kure type of paint applications or are they all the same ?

I have been going over suspension & body components today with a drill type rotary wire brush, removal of surface type rust is all that it was, I want to apply a durable finish eventually but was just wondering whether rust conversion paint is required before main finishing paint or underseal.

I will spend a few hours over the next few weeks just tidying it up for winter, I will be driving this weekend.

Prior to cleaning up.

One of my great mates sadly now gone absolutely swore by POR15 for the underside metalwork and suspension parts on cars he refurbished. He did go to great lengths removing even the old factory coating before application though and I can confirm the undersides remained flawless in the years he had the cars.
Forget any rubberised underseal though as if moisture gets behind it it just rots without you knowing!

advertisement

Back