advertisement

MX5 purchasing

How an Intercity train can be cancelled within 30 mins of departure is beyond me, a guaranteed driver must have been allocated surely.

How an Intercity train can be cancelled within 30 mins of departure is beyond me, a guaranteed driver must have been allocated surely.

not always. In reality if that driver was travelling in on another inbound service, that was cancelled or late.....

^^This sort of thing happens, a few years back TOCs used to have cover drivers for just that sort of eventuality. They've "modernised" and cut some of these jobs. However the TOC's control should realise that a driver of a delayed train can't be in 2 places at once, they rarely do.

Loads of trains being cancelled at Lime Street today, the atmosphere amongst passengers is somewhat exasperated.

Just been told that l can ask for a refund even though l am getting a later train due to cancellation. Is that right ? Only cost £19, just want to get there.

Just been told that we all might have to pay additional costs as we are not on the correct train for our tickets. You couldn't make it up !!

Just been told that l can ask for a refund even though l am getting a later train due to cancellation. Is that right ? Only cost £19, just want to get there.

Refunds are available, google train refunds they may be part or full iirc. Ticketing rules are generally enforced quite rigidly on board (during the daytime). But a call to the "customer service" dept of the TOC will often yield dividends if a situation has been handled poorly. Good luck and enjoy your MX5.

Got back literally 30 mins ago, I am shattered but a beer & a homemade Goan curry has got me on the straight & narrow again. After the train fiasco this morning I got there about 1:30, spent an hour or so going through paperwork, then set off for home. The place is a veritable treasure trove of MX5 parts, the car is near immaculate, deeper grey than the original photos seem to show but I love it. Here we are at Scotch Corner & A66, will do some more photos later on. The hood did come down when the sun showed up for a short while.

Last edited:
Got back literally 30 mins ago, I am shattered but a beer & a homemade Goan curry has got me on the straight & narrow again. After the train fiasco this morning I got there about 1:30, spent an hour or so going through paperwork, then set off for home. The place is a veritable treasure trove of MX5 parts, the car is near immaculate, deeper grey than the photos, here at Scotch Corner, will do some more later on.

Great news and glad the car checks out, post some more pics when you can.

I was told by others in the know that I would love it, well I'd say once I got out of Darlington & onto the A66 I opened it up, I was hooked after maybe 15 mins, it was the drive of my life across country, big big smile on my face. The steering is superb, just point & go, the gearbox is quite honestly incredible, never driven a car like it, the clutch/throttle took getting used to initially but once I got the hang of it you can balance them to each other, it just goes & this is only the 1.8 engine.

I decided to get across to Kendal & just go down the M6/M58 towards home, I was tired, a motorway car it can be but it was as boring as hell after the A66/Kirby Stephen run.

Initial impressions & score : 9/10

Extremely enjoyeable, great steering, great gearbox, willing engine, easy hood arrangement, good seats, quite refined for a canvas top, fairly economical, more to come but this is only Day 1.

Things not liked :

Stereo is very tinny, no bass, maybe I need to get into the menu to tweak things. I have some replacement Focal speakers that might fit, we shall see.

Last edited:
I drove the same model a few years back. Best fun I've ever had in a car and I'll possible buy another if I return home. Make sure you get some advice from the MX5 petrol heads online. I had my car lowered a little and the toe/camber set .....made all the difference. I believe this model was renowned to sit high with a little too much room between the wheel arches and tyres.

Spent the morning on cleaning duties seeing as how it was sunny today, NOT like yesterday. It is in really good order, there is some slight slight slight rust on one rear arch, well surface rust on the lip, other than that it is fine from what I can see. Underneath it is in fine fettle as well for a 16 year old car, I will probably spend a few days over the next few months before winter giving underneath a thorough de-rust, surface type stuff on components, then paint them up in situ. The boot has some slight corrosion by the number plate lights, no big deal though, a quick clean up there is on the cards next week.

Overall I am extremely happy with the little MX5, a lot of car for so little money.

A few photos :

advertisement

Back