advertisement

MX5 purchasing

Olaup

pfm Member
I am now on the lookout for an MX5, something I have always fancied but never got round to it. I'd be grateful if anyone who has, or has had one, could offer some advice on what maybe to look out for apart from the usual service history, MOT history, etc.

My aim point is going to be up to £6000, roadster, hardtop or canvass roof. I'd also be looking at a 6 speed manual, 2.0 litre engine, plus any add ons that is adviseable.

If you have one to sell please get in touch, missed one last week here, if you know of a nice one please link me in, happy to travel for a good one.

Now to start the search.

I had a Mk2, these are now a lot cheaper than your budget. Mine was bought too cheap and was a bit ratty, the sills rotted and I wasn't sufficiently interested to repair it so I got rid. They do suffer from corrosion. At your budget you can get a decent example. You have the skills to be able to pick out a good one.

Should say looking at Mk3 ones but the Mk2 can also be considered if a nice example.

I am also happy to look at other makes within budget, just fancy a convertible & that has been MX5 territory for me for a while without thinking of other cars.

Happy to hear your thoughts on matters, please speak up.

Have had 4 Mk2.5s on my 4th now in midnight blue debadged front splitter and number plate alts make it look very modern and chic IMHO certainly get alot of good comments about it. Bought last year for 2k with 56k miles kept in a garge all its life and didnt see the rain. Cloth seats replaced with leather from my old one. Great cars. I like some Mk3s depending on colour the 20th aniversary looks nice.

I've had a MK1 1.6 BBR Factory turbo and would have kept it if it had a 6th gear and AC. The problem I recall even looking for a 6 speed MK1 is that the ratio on 6th is the same as the ratio on 5th on the 5 speed ones.

I've also had a MK3 2.0 Sport, this comes with Bilstein shocks. For me at your budget this is the one to look out for. The word Sport is key.

The only one I think is a poor proposition is the MK2. Heavier than. 1.8 MK1 due to bigger body, looks boring and yet everything else is the same as a MK1. I'm on my own here. Loads of people slate the MK3. But it still darts, still corners and has a great interior. You can also get a 200bhp kit from BBR fitted for about 2500 quid if that's your thing

I've driven a MK4 180bhp car. Amazing development. Defo the best one. But the second best for me is the MK3 2.0 Sport (soft top - the hard top adds about 100kg in the wrong place IMHO).

Hope I got all.my facts right here, been a while since I owned!

Oh buying guide for 2.5. check its original few mods oil mot history will tell you lots but generally its just corrosion to wory about the engines are bulet proof check it goes intop gear to save on a new clutch check i has oil coolent etc and lastly wheel bearings sometimes go and coils also so check for squaeks or rattles at corners or when braking

No advice. I bought a '95 used in '97. It's still going strong. No major repairs. About 200k miles.

Brother bought one new in I think around 07 and had it for maybe seven years. Only three faults in that time which were a water leak on the rear passenger side due to clogged drainage tubes (which were not cleared in the scheduled servicing!), a leak on the passenger footwell which I found out about as a neighbour of a mate had the same car and I asked him what it’d likely be ( easy fix with sealant) and finally towards the end of its time with him an 02 sensor which his local mechanic replaced prior to an mot ( and would only fit a Mazda original as he’d seen issues with copies).
Nippy little thing and great fun:)

It was replaced with a new 14 plate Golf GTI Cabriolet due to easier access in his old age which so far has been faultless, like only fluid changes, discs and pads faultless which in eight years is pretty good.

Been doing some reading on various posts on the MX5 owners club site. Have copy and pasted into a word doc some useful info for future ref. Happy to email you a copy if you pm me your email address.

Been doing some reading on various posts on the MX5 owners club site. Have copy and pasted into a word doc some useful info for future ref. Happy to email you a copy if you pm me your email address.

Yes please, email PM incoming.

There are 5 main things to look for with an MX5: rust, rust, rust, rust and corrosion.

I had a MK2 bought for £500 went to Spain, France and Italy then sold for £500. Fun almost free motoring.

Bought an S2000 so now my fun motoring makes money.

I have set myself a month to find one, the little Peugeot 206 will more than likely be gone in the next 48 hrs, no hurry.

The good thing about MX5s is there’s plenty of them so wait for a clean one you really want.

advertisement

Back