advertisement

Muslim women are not allowed to wear Burka at the shore in France

Here in the topics non-muslims wear these suits as tans are seen as low class and everyone worries about skin cancer and wrinkles. Even men often cover their arms and legs swimming. They also protect against jellyfish.

It's not a simple issue, there's an inherent conflict here between the freedom of an individual who wants to wear a burkini out of their own choice and a woman who is forced to wear a burkini due to the enforcement of medieval practice against their will.

Not an easy issue to adjudicate.

i wish we could ban mankinis at my local beach. how any sane man in his 50s (it always seem to be guys in their 50s) can think it looks anything short of ridiculous simply boggles my mind.

vuk.

What the heck is a mankini? (please don't post any images to explain!)

Okay. Not sure what you mean by mixed people, but here goes. What are your views on topless beaches? Offensive? Offensive if children present?

What can be offensive about the human body? Isn't it just religious terrorism that has shamed us into that view? Our cats don't seem to care if they see us naked or clothed!

What can be offensive about the human body? Isn't it just religious terrorism that has shamed us into that view? Our cats don't seem to care if they see us naked or clothed!

Well, we've already established by now that some people find naked people on a beach offensive. Some of the people who object to total nudity find topless women OK, others not. We've established that many people have an opinion on what's right and wrong and that some want to impose it on others, and that these preferences evolve over time.

On the left in the red shorts, the mayors of a very small number of French towns who want to be seen striking a blow for laïcité and against religious fundamentalists, even though there it is statistically not an issue. On the right in the dark full length jellabah, the fellows who feel entitled to dictate that their sisters and daughters shall not show a square centimetre of flesh anywhere outside the home (on the basis of a Wahabite interpretation of a 7th century holy book) so they can then shame/intimidate other believers into doing the same. The red corner has the early advantage, the dark jellabah corner is playing the long game.

Seems completely ridiculous and likely to encourage more hatred against the kaffir.

And in local news, a UKipper has just been attacked as being anti-Muslim by the BBC on Radio 4 for suggesting that faces should not be covered in banks and airports. She may well be anti-muslim but this is a fair point, right?

This is a new rule in several cities in France.

How can a free society in a democratic state force women how to be dressed in a public area like the sea?

Do you think this is justified?

I heard someone explaining in broadcasting that not like England that is running with multi-cultural perception, the secularity in France is a very strong perception even on the behalf of freedom.

To me this story is odd.

Arye
I was told the Burka was banned in France, full stop, i was misinformed by the looks of things.

Why do they want to ban it, surely not down to terrorism fear, i cannot see any other reason behind it,what a silly decision to make, like this is going to make people feel safe, ludicrous.

Yet more predjudice.

The burka covers everything. Most Muslim women do not cover the face and hands and see the burka as a tribal extreme. The full body swimsuit is worn by all races and religions in many tropical countries. Only crazy Europeans think it's sensible to get burnt skin

Last time I checked France was not a tropical country. You need a certain amount of sun on your skin to synthethize vitamin D, especially in temperate climates, which is why Northerners have pale skin and burka wearers need to take vitamin D supplements or face health problems. Sun cream was invented to take care of sunburn, enabling tropical countries like Brazil to avoid the burkini.

David

I can assure you all Euro's don't think it's a good idea to get sunburn.
Clearly this is an illiberal move by the authorities.

John

Think 'Borat'.

actually, that's not what we have on the beach here (toronto - lake ontario). it's like the bottom of a female thong bikini and usually, for a reason i can't fathom, made of a semi-glittery gold cloth. judging by hair, beach bag and general demeanor, these appear to be corporate executive types, not some riff raff. they also tend to look european (like those german chaps who used to carry little man bags in the 1980s).

vuk.

p.s. before i forget yet again, i want to note how touched i am by arie's concern for the rights of oppressed muslims.

it became offensive as soon as the cognitive capacity for language acquisition evolved and we sublimated sexual urges into various aspects of civilization.

vuk.

actually, that's not what we have on the beach here (toronto - lake ontario). it's like the bottom of a female thong bikini and usually, for a reason i can't fathom, made of a semi-glittery gold cloth. judging by hair, beach bag and general demeanor, these appear to be corporate executive types, not some riff raff. they also tend to look european (like those german chaps who used to carry little man bags in the 1980s).

You appear to have spent much time studying in the field.

Sun cream was invented to take care of sunburn, enabling tropical countries like Brazil to avoid the burkini.
Asian women spend a fortune on skin whitening products. Sun block tends to wash off when swimming.
Jellyfish are a real problem in the sea these days and the box jellies seem to be spreading North from Australia - these can easily kill you

vuk.

p.s. before i forget yet again, i want to note how touched i am by arie's concern for the rights of oppressed muslims.

Do you think they may be members of a subset of the LGBT community?

Asian women spend a fortune on skin whitening products. Sun block tends to wash off when swimming.
Jellyfish are a real problem in the sea these days and the box jellies seem to be spreading North from Australia - these can easily kill you

The good people at Copacabana must be made of sterner stuff, or the junk they have in the water doesn't include killer jellyfish. Either way, sounds like a superior destination to me.

advertisement

Back