advertisement

Musical genius

Very subjective though
I think we can try and add a dash of objectiveness by looking at whether an Artiste had a revolutionary impact on da musik.
I'd exclude Matt Johnson from that. So would Matt.
Loius Armstrong...more of a claim...at least temporarily...who is a full time genius for Pete's sake?

I think we can try and add a dash of objectiveness by looking at whether an Artiste had a revolutionary impact on da musik.
I'd exclude Matt Johnson from that. So would Matt.
Loius Armstrong...more of a claim...

Again very subjective
Despite what "Matt" might say, I'd still consider him a genius

Very subjective though
I think you have to look at the bigger picture. Artists like Ellington & Armstrong changed music permanently; what we enjoy today wouldn’t exist without them.

As much as I rate Matt Johnson, he hasn’t had a world changing 50 year, epoch spanning career. I suppose it’s a case of where you draw the line.

I think you have to look at the bigger picture. Artists like Ellington & Armstrong changed music permanently; what we enjoy today wouldn’t exist without them.

As much as I rate Matt Johnson, he hasn’t had a world changing 50 year, epoch spanning career. I suppose it’s a case of where you draw the line.

The term genius is always a difficult one and one we'll all define differently

makes for a good discussion though :)

I think we have lost the meaning of genius, many suggestions on here are just very talented.

Id been resisting saying that while following this thread. No one can sit alongside Picasso, Mozart, Bach, Bergman ... - except maybe Miles. The others mentioned made some great records, usually over a very small period of time and didn't sustain it or produce a consistently strong and developed body of work or, like James Joyce, produce a small body of work but one that was unique and unprecedented. Monk and Beefheart might come close here.

I think Bjork is super talented and has sustained creativity over a long period of time but I'm not sure I'd call her a genius.

The Beatles are an interesting case as they produced extraordinary work for 6 years then barely anything better than average in the 50 years since. I'm not sure a group can be a genius. Thoughts?

advertisement

Back