advertisement

Musical genius

Id been resisting saying that while following this thread. No one can sit alongside Picasso, Mozart, Bach, Bergman ...

TBH that's why I picked Aphex Twin - you get the distinct impression the music just pours out of him like it did Mozart.

I just wish he had a better relationship with the music business so more of it got a proper release (not that I don't appreciate him dumping 20 albums worth of tracks on Soundcloud...)

Who is yours? Who was the most important performer, orchestra, composer or band during your time according to you? Awe inspiring, talented, heart rate elevating ... one name only please.
The OP stated “during your time”, I read that as my time actively enjoying, appreciating and seeking out music, from late 70’s for me onwards. Louis Armstrong was dead before I knew what an LP was.

In that window Matt Johnson, Paddy McAloon and Prince stand out, one of the reasons for me is that they did the majority of the heavy lifting and often pretty much created an entire LP themselves. Prince played all 27 instruments on his debut LP.

Maybe they are Legendary rather than Genius, hard to qualify, all 3 stand out and contribute a fair % of my music collection.

Id been resisting saying that while following this thread. No one can sit alongside Picasso, Mozart, Bach, Bergman ... - except maybe Miles. The others mentioned made some great records, usually over a very small period of time and didn't sustain it or produce a consistently strong and developed body of work or, like James Joyce, produce a small body of work but one that was unique and unprecedented. Monk and Beefheart might come close here.

I think Bjork is super talented and has sustained creativity over a long period of time but I'm not sure I'd call her a genius.

The Beatles are an interesting case as they produced extraordinary work for 6 years then barely anything better than average in the 50 years since. I'm not sure a group can be a genius. Thoughts?
The Beatles split up.

Miles Davis is not in the same league as Ellington or Armstrong as much as I rate him. I would put Monk above him also & probably Mingus.

Reactions: RoA
The OP stated “during your time”, I read that as my time actively enjoying, appreciating and seeking out music, from late 70’s for me onwards. Louis Armstrong was dead before I knew what an LP was.

In that window Matt Johnson, Paddy McAloon and Prince stand out, one of the reasons for me is that they did the majority of the heavy lifting and often pretty much created an entire LP themselves. Prince played all 27 instruments on his debut LP.

Maybe they are Legendary rather than Genius, hard to qualify, all 3 stand out and contribute a fair % of my music collection.
It’s a hard one, I took it literally as I was alive at the same time as the artist I put forward. Prince is a standout, he has a greater claim to genius than the others you mentioned.

The Beatles split up.

I know a genius can crack up but can one split up?

The Beatles are an interesting case and very relevant to consideration of genius. I’d say together they were revolutionary but not geniuses as evidenced by the modest output they subsequently produced as individuals.

Can a group be a genius? It seems a very individualist concept and so much of popular music is about collaboration or seeking the right collaborators. I’m not sure The Beatles would have been quite so revolutionary without George Martin, for example.

In my view quite a few ( most? ) of those mentioned above were super talented people who made great records but I’m not sure that in itself - or also being a great performer - makes someone a genius.

I know a genius can crack up but can one split up?

The Beatles are an interesting case and very relevant to consideration of genius. I’d say together they were revolutionary but not geniuses as evidenced by the modest output they subsequently produced as individuals.

Can a group be a genius? It seems a very individualist concept.

In my view quite a few ( most? ) of those mentioned above were talented people who made great record but they don’t sit alongside Picasso. I’d really devalues the concept to apply it so broadly. And I say that as a huge fan of many of them.
We are talking about music, Picasso was a genius but he probably couldn’t play bass or write ‘things we said today’. The Beatles wrote individually but the internal competition drive them to greater heights. Once they split no one could tell Lennon or McCartney to try harder.

Pseuds corner may have a vacancy for you? ;)

Genius is a weird concept anyway, and I doubt that there's much of a consensus about who qualifies as one in any particular sphere.

In a musical context, some people would say Mozart was definitely a genius, others that he's over-rated, and that Bach was the real genius. More recently, some would say that Bob Dylan is a genius, others that he can't sing and that his songs are crap. An ex-poster here regarded the Beatles as 'just another boy band'. And so it goes on.

Which reminds me ....

Genius is a weird concept anyway, and I doubt that there's much of a consensus about who qualifies as one in any particular sphere.

In a musical context, some people would say Mozart was definitely a genius, others that he's over-rated, and that Bach was the real genius. More recently, some would say that Bob Dylan is a genius, others that he can't sing and that his songs are crap. An ex-poster here regarded the Beatles as 'just another boy band'. And so it goes on.

Which reminds me ....

I think it would be very hard to say Mozart wasn’t a genius.

You will always get some who adopt a ridiculous position as they they think it makes them look clever (it always has the opposite effect). Is any group with blokes just a ‘boy band’? It’s a blatantly absurd proposition.

I personally can’t stand Dylan, don’t think he’s a genius at all but appreciate that many others disagree & probably have more knowledge about him to back up their claim. I just cannot get past his horrible voice & busker stylings.

The Mozart thing relates to an ex-boss, who had probably forgotten more about classical music than I'll ever know. He had no time at all for Mozart, who, he said wrote nice tunes but 'you always knew what note was coming next'. Bach, on the other hand, he regarded as a genius whose work would never be surpassed. But, yes, most people would put Mozart at or near the top of the tree.

With Dylan, I think it's the combination of words and music. His lyrics don't stand up as poetry, and his voice is nothing to write home about, but put them together and, for me at least, his work is up there with the best. Plus, he moved music along, for better or worse.

So, undisputed geniuses. In their different fields, maybe Homer, Euclid, Pythagoras, Leonardo da Vinci, Shakespeare, Newton, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Goethe, Einstein. All men, all white, all European.

My knowledge of maths and science is scanty so I'm sure I've missed some obvious candidates, and I'd be wary of classifying philosophers. Is there such a thing as a sporting genius, or a genius in the performing arts, where memory of performances have a relatively short shelf-life?

The Mozart thing relates to an ex-boss, who had probably forgotten more about classical music than I'll ever know. He had no time at all for Mozart, who, he said wrote nice tunes but 'you always knew what note was coming next'. Bach, on the other hand, he regarded as a genius whose work would never be surpassed.

That's something I've heard people say a lot - that Mozart is all just a bit too pretty and ornamented and lacking in substance.

I'm reassured by Anthony Braxton who I recall reading has a great love of Mozart precisely because there is so much crammed into each piece.

I personally can’t stand Dylan, don’t think he’s a genius at all but appreciate that many others disagree & probably have more knowledge about him to back up their claim. I just cannot get past his horrible voice & busker stylings.

I've got to agree re Dylan, he's wrote some fantastic songs but I always prefer to hear other people singing them

advertisement

Back