advertisement

Music you should like but don't

Anything by Oasis...never got it.....ever!
Most of Dylans output though I could listen to the man speak for a lifetime.
Most of Van Morrisons output.....hatefull talentless twat! As a surprise my mate took me to one of his gigs....pure torture and she knew I hated him lol.

I don't get them either, they just sound like a Stones covers band to me.

Tony.

You are being serious? The whole attitude thing they had and the euphoric energy they showed on the first album is way above anything the Stones achieved. They, the NYDs, along with Iggy and the MC5 did more than anyone to kick start punk rock.

You are being serious? The whole attitude thing they had and the euphoric energy they showed on the first album is way above anything the Stones achieved. They, the NYDs, along with Iggy and the MC5 did more than anyone to kick start punk rock.

Indeed. Not to mention them being the inspiration for Morrissey to get into music.

Yeah and I love Morrissey and The Smiths but could never see his Dolls infatuation...or Jobriath...and Sparks were good but patchy. He was right about T Rex though.

Most of Van Morrisons output.....hatefull talentless twat! As a surprise my mate took me to one of his gigs....pure torture and she knew I hated him lol.

Van maybe a gigantic pain to deal with on a personal level, but he has one of the truly great voices in pop music. He has written and performed the greatest pop album ever made, Astral Weeks and made several other classic albums. Talentless my arse. A true giant of popular music.

Err I don't think we are supposed to be actively disagreeing on this thread though are we? More celebrating the fact that we have strangely differing opinions about the allegedly great. And that I'm right.

I certainly like the MC5, Stooges etc. MC5 were full-tilt psych-rock coupled with revolutionary politics and Kick Out The Jams is a candidate for the best live album ever made. The Stooges stripped rock music back to the most basic of basics, their first two albums are just amazing, everything non-essential removed and a blueprint for all future rock music. The NYD are just the Stones with more make-up and higher heels.

Tony.

PS Kraftwerk and Husker Dü are ace.

PPS The Clash were just a tedious rock band.

Kraftwerk. I once bought Autobahn because another PFMer raved about it. I think I barely managed to listen to it till the end, maybe thanks to the fact that I was hoovering at the same time. Music For Hoovering, that would be a crass title wouldn't it.

I do have the album 'The Sound of the Hoover', both on vinyl and CD is it.

Cracking album to do the housework to there! But on vinyl you have to stop every 20mins to flip the record though.

DS

Most Abba.
Most Dob Dylan.
A lot of Beatles.
The Clash only needed to make one LP.
Most New Order
The Killers
Radiohead except the Bends and 2/3 track from OK
The Strokes.
Most Lou Reed except Transformer, Coney Island Baby and Berlin.
Robbie williams (oh, am I meant to hate him?)
Paul Simon Graceland -yeauch.
Tom Jones toneless outputs and belowings
The Who - especially Wont Get fooled Again - I wasn't fooled first time.

I bloody hate the Killers too, the chap's voice irritates the crap out of me. And, I'm sorry, I've given her a chance but Florence and her interminable Machine and her awful braying dirge voice

Sun Ra is some one who I just don't get
Kind of Blue doesn't sound any better to me than say relaxin'

I really don't think people are getting the gist of this thread.

Here is a glowing example from the much revered Stock, Aitken and Waterman catalogue, Rick Astley Never going to give you up which is a hugely and righteously popular piece of music preceded by the irritatingly catchy as parodied by Robert Plant I should be so luck sung by that poison dwarf Kylie Minogue, now re marketed as just PLAIN old Kylie.

Where's me coat?

Talking of Robert Plant, I like much of Led Zep but hate with a vengeance that pseudo knoberry what crops up in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, however others of greater standing than I adore it.

Having grown up appreciating Yes, I couldn't guess how many times I heard people say "if you like Yes then you must like Genesis". I thought not then and still do.

Now, Gabriel solo is a different kettle of tea.

Talking of Robert Plant, I like much of Led Zep but hate with a vengeance that pseudo knoberry what crops up in the middle of Whole Lotta Love, however others of greater standing than I adore it.

But it makes the arrival of the middle eight all the more great when it does kick back in:)

advertisement

Back