advertisement

Music you should like but don't

I really like much of the early music of the Rolling Stones but after, say,' Goats Head Soup' the quality of their output seemed to deteriorate rapidly. I've tried to like their later stuff but it just doesn't work for me. I don't know why but the live recording, 'Get yer Ya-Yas Out' is one of my, all time, favourite albums.

Same here. 'Tried to like' is exactly my experience with post-GHS Stones.

I have a problem with CSNY and eagles west coast type stuff. I do like Y on his own, joni mitchell and some beach boys.

I really do not get on with country but there is some good stuff like bluegrass.

Yep - I think CSN(Y)'s harmonies are fantastic; really good.
Not one lead singer plus harmonies, but each individual contributing.
That's quite what my brother told me yesterday about them, indeed they played at a local festival and according to him they are still ace.

Husker Du for me- the core of my music taste is Minutemen/Pixies era stuff so this should be part of my 'specials' yes? erm no.. rarely have i heard music that leaves me as cold, its souless music devoid of any depth to me.. truly awful. Nirvana to a far lesser extent as Bleach was a fresh, superb slab of noise (and still plays well) ,but onwards from there.. very mediocre/middle-of-the-road quality really and it flumoxes me how the yoofs took them/him on as a 'supergroup'.

And I guess I should like Throbbing Gristle as its 'arty', leftfield and a 'cult' sort of thing.. erm no. this is as cold as ice- and its thoughrally pretentious too.

And less of the '..can't sing' as a reason for not liking stuff already! consider The Pogues.. so you don't like them either?

Porcupine Tree.

As a fan of prog (ie stuff from the 70s), electronic music, krautrock, Pink Floyd and No-Man, I should like PT but they leave me cold. They're so far up themselves and dull.

Seeker, agree on PT, listened to them after recs on here is it, never again - really dull and hairy ****.

DS

I've just listened to a couple of early Pink Floyd albums (Saucerful Of Secrets and Obscured By Clouds), and they are ridiculously stupid.

I've just listened to a couple of early Pink Floyd albums (Saucerful Of Secrets and Obscured By Clouds), and they are ridiculously stupid.
100% agree with this statement, which is just as bold as saying that Beatles For Sale is krap (and no, I'm not going to 'listen to it differently').

I really like a lot of Radiohead's output, and yes, I am predictable enough to think that OK Computer is probably their best work. However, "Electioneering" from precisely that album leaves me absolutely cold. Every time.

Anything I like is great music,anything I don't like is shite. Now if you can all sign your name after this statement.......

Kraftwerk. I once bought Autobahn because another PFMer raved about it. I think I barely managed to listen to it till the end, maybe thanks to the fact that I was hoovering at the same time. Music For Hoovering, that would be a crass title wouldn't it.

advertisement

Back