advertisement

Munich show 9th to 12th May 2024

I agree streaming has been/is often problematic, though I’m at a loss to explain why, and not all sources or solutions are bad IME (i.e. the issue appears to be one of implementation, not concept). That said it doesn’t excuse the rooms using vinyl or CDs. I’m pretty much at the point now where if I see a big heavy MDF floorstander I know it is going to sound like crap from my priorities. The larger, heavier and more drivers a speaker has the more crap the end result IME. There is just something so dead about that kind of construction, it just sucks the music out to my ears. I find it depressing that this is where speaker design has ended up.

PS I need to caveat this in that nearly everything I’m describing has an underlying MDF construction even if it has fancy wood stuck on the sides. I’ve not heard enough machined alloy, carbon fibre etc speakers to form an opinion there. It may just be the MDF I hear.
I suspect your suspicions are correct. It may well be the MDF you hear. Metal cabinets aren't so dead, IME, though have their own problems, and I've never got on with Magico, though the Stenheim stuff is more my cup of tea. And the more expensive end is using better materials than MDF, or better and more suitable grades of something not unlike MDF. But I agree, speaker cabinet materials tend to sound how they behave - heavy and inert cabs (acrylics, various mass-loaded composites) can sound heavy, and inert; metal cabs can be susceptible to subtle ringing, and so-on. And don't get me started on glass cabinets...

Those active Yg acoustics speakers looked really cool. Dac‘s and (ganfet?)amps inside the speakers connected to the preamp with a fiber optic cable. Stupid price of 250k of course but seems more innovative at least.

I dealt with the size by concentrating on the +1 and +2 levels.
The ground floor has most of the static displays and generally awful sound.
I did pretty much the same....but even the upper levels were huge. I tried to give most rooms at least 10 mins or a couple of tracks at least. In some rooms the volume was so low, I found it difficult to judge whether the system was any good or not. I found the french offering, Davis Acoustic speakers with Jadis amplification a really enjoyable listen. They were rather different looking too.

https://www.tedpublications.com/fr/en/high-end-munich-2023-show-report-part-three/

I did pretty much the same....but even the upper levels were huge. I tried to give most rooms at least 10 mins or a couple of tracks at least. In some rooms the volume was so low, I found it difficult to judge whether the system was any good or not. I found the french offering, Davis Acoustic speakers with Jadis amplification a really enjoyable listen. They were rather different looking too.

https://www.tedpublications.com/fr/en/high-end-munich-2023-show-report-part-three/
Yes agree on the Davis speakers. I thought they sounded really coherent. The smaller ones looked like the might work well in ' normal' listening rooms. They were not too deep. I don't know the pricing on those ones.

Lots of fantastic sounding rooms but they were unfortunately all incredibly expensive.

@nostromo
I'm not that keen on Jadis, I feel they are a bit "soft".

My favorite French room was the Totaldac one - company based near Rennes.

It should have been Apertura but their choice of partnering amps (Wattson, I think) could not do justice to the Enigma speakers which I've heard at length in someone else's home with my Aesthetix Calypso Eclipse pre amp and his Airtight ATM3 mono power amps (I'd loaned my pre to my dealer for a demo and gone along for the ride).

Another disappointing room was the main dCS one - when you've gone through Bartok, Rossini; Rossini Apex and clock, the Lina DAC and clock just don't cut the mustard...

I really enjoyed the Davis/Jadis and TotalDAC rooms at the Paris show. Sadly I didn't have time to visit them in Munich. I had never heard of them before Paris but they're on my radar now. Shows work. My French room partner in Paris used Davis drivers in his speakers. Those big 1970s-style diagonal baffle ones look and sound great, if you can just get the idea of a singing trouser-press out of mind.

The Zensati room was amazing, Incredible SQ from the Brodmann speakers but how could that fit in any house.
The big ugly tall Raidho's also sounded great. Nagra room as usual sounds great but hey for a million it would want to.
I liked the Weiner stand mounts. Huge soundstage and solid organic mid-range from this set up in a big room. A snip at 18K euro and 2K for the stands. All solid timber construction. Generally all the Wilson rooms sounded good enough to live with forever but again big ticket prices for all this kit. Boenicke, Stenheim etc etc who couldn't but be impressed.

Downstairs the Mayer round with the cheap, huge Spanish horn speakers (only 100k) was a lovely system in a small compromised room. Imagine what that would sound like in one of the upstairs treated rooms.

Tannoy and Quad were there. The new Tannoy Gold Monitors have a new designed aluminium tweeter. Hard to gauge how good it was or could be in the room it was presented in. The Quad room with large ESLs was poor enough but that was down to the space.

If I had 20K to burn I would be hoping a home demo of the smaller Davis model or the Weiner speakers would confirm my view of them. Anything else is just at a price I couldn't and wouldn't contemplate even if I won the lotto.

The greatest shock was the 400k Vivid M1 , I almost felt sorry for the clever designer Laurence Dickie to feel he had to build a speaker that can reach 120dB and therefore produce such a monstrocity which didn't sound special at all.

The greatest shock was the 400k Vivid M1 , I almost felt sorry for the clever designer Laurence Dickie to feel he had to build a speaker that can reach 120dB and therefore produce such a monstrocity which didn't sound special at all.

An interesting design brief; make it ugly and ensure it causes permanent hearing damage.

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him, apparently he secured 6 sales of the M1 the first day alone and they're not even rolling off the production line yet.

The Zensati room was amazing, Incredible SQ from the Brodmann speakers but how could that fit in any house
Always sounded sh*t to my ears.
Also nervous to fall over the hundreds of cablelifters - its more than crazy.
Fitting nice surround and astronomic price on a cheap Chinese cable makes no millionare.
But its a con to me anyway.

Fitting nice surround and astronomic price on a cheap Chinese cable makes no millionare.
But its a con to me anyway.
yes pics of that set up all over the place .. looked bonkers

The Zensati room was amazing, Incredible SQ from the Brodmann speakers but how could that fit in any house.
The big ugly tall Raidho's also sounded great. Nagra room as usual sounds great but hey for a million it would want to.
I liked the Weiner stand mounts. Huge soundstage and solid organic mid-range from this set up in a big room. A snip at 18K euro and 2K for the stands. All solid timber construction. Generally all the Wilson rooms sounded good enough to live with forever but again big ticket prices for all this kit. Boenicke, Stenheim etc etc who couldn't but be impressed.

Downstairs the Mayer round with the cheap, huge Spanish horn speakers (only 100k) was a lovely system in a small compromised room. Imagine what that would sound like in one of the upstairs treated rooms.

Tannoy and Quad were there. The new Tannoy Gold Monitors have a new designed aluminium tweeter. Hard to gauge how good it was or could be in the room it was presented in. The Quad room with large ESLs was poor enough but that was down to the space.

If I had 20K to burn I would be hoping a home demo of the smaller Davis model or the Weiner speakers would confirm my view of them. Anything else is just at a price I couldn't and wouldn't contemplate even if I won the lotto.

But its a con to me anyway
Cable layout is funny alright but there is no doubt those speakers sounded incredible to my ears but everyone hears things differently.

That's Tannoy now a quick flashy ad moving from photo to photo. The new monitors look like a rehash of the legacy series with a new tweeter and new adjustment plate. The new Arden is taller than the Legacy Arden.
Did you get to hear the Borresens too? Curious how they compare.
Yes I thought they were nice sounding speakers. I think the Boenicke are in a different league particularly the ones I listened to. The Boenickes are mad expensive again.

Hifi+ has rounded up a selection of their contributors' top fives of Munich 2024:

I'm very happy to see that the SUPATRAC Nighthawk was at the top of Steve Dickinson's list.

Monitor tweeter is tulip waveguide 33 mm dia magnesium/aluminium alloy, nitrile rubber surround edge-wound voicecoil. Same as its always been....unless I'm missing something.

Funny, Jay from Stereonet and I were astonished by how such huge speakers simply managed to ‘disappear’ with the right music.

I was really looking forward to these and they didn’t disappoint.

Unlike several other rooms mentioned here… 😉

advertisement

Back