advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manchester City completed 93.7% of their passes against Newcastle (787/840(!)), the highest recorded figure in a Premier League game since full passing data is available (2003-04).
Newcastle United - making up the numbers since 2007.

Manchester City completed 93.7% of their passes against Newcastle (787/840(!)), the highest recorded figure in a Premier League game since full passing data is available (2003-04).

on a downer pal, tis only a kick about.

I suppose while we are on statistics, whilst not wanting to embarrass any Newcastle fans ( 13 games lost ) , City have lost 9 games this season which is 1 more than their local rivals Man. U, Wolves and Arsenal.

Salah was quite the energizer bunny today! Great performance, but am sure he feels like he should have had at least a hat-trick.

Nico Williams started off really well, but became flustered by half. Replacing him was a smart move, but I still think he has a good, long future at LFC.

Well, they aren’t making up the numbers with full backs. Bruce started with 4 last night and brought another on with ~30 mins left, that isn’t tactical genius. Add to that a left sided forward ( careful not to say striker there ) on his own once again as a centre forward because he’s a big lad, and it was never going to be pretty. I’m surprised it was only 5, I predicted 8 when I saw the team.

The parasite who owns the club needs to be allowed to finally sell, for the good of the city the club needs to be taken over but it looks like everyone outside of Newcastle is scared shitless of the club being run with some ambition.

Agree. Bruce is...not good. He's tactically inept. He persisted with players after the restart resulting in muscle injuries. He's been lucky this season with the players inherited and the poor quality of the league. Signing of the big lad appears to be a mystery.
Wish the new owner was...
...Sting?...

Thought Brighton were good in chasing the game after falling two behind, they've some real talent and I like their manager

Agree. Their system made Liverpool look a little flat footed at times but they currently don't have the players to pull it off.

Rumour is the delay is more about piracy and money than any concerns about sportswashing.
From the match report in the i https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-man-city-steve-bruce-pep-guardiola-499304
ETIHAD STADIUM — Before this mismatch began, both managers stood by the touchline engaged in a long conversation. It was unlikely Steve Bruce was asking: “What’s it like to be owned by an absolutist monarchy with a questionable human rights record then, Pep?”

Steve Bruce has done a very good job since coming in and picking up the pieces. He was brave enough to come, lot's of others probably declined beforehand. He didn't have much of a pre-season and probably had none to very little say in the coming and goings of the squad he has worked with. For me, he deserves much credit for getting on with the job. 8 Points from a possible 15 since lock-down football resumed is not bad, most would have taken that when offered. Those points are enough to keep us in the Premier League for another season. We also had a good run in the FA Cup. All of this while working under the Ashley constraints of which we have now had 13 not so glorious years.

Hopefully, the Saudi takeover will be approved and we can rebuild the club to compete again and be a top 6 team and play in Europe. It won't be easy, but for me Bruce deserves to continue in the job, takeover or no takeover.

Steve Bruce has done a very good job since coming in and picking up the pieces. He was brave enough to come, lot's of others probably declined beforehand. He didn't have much of a pre-season and probably had none to very little say in the coming and goings of the squad he has worked with. For me, he deserves much credit for getting on with the job. 8 Points from a possible 15 since lock-down football resumed is not bad, most would have taken that when offered. Those points are enough to keep us in the Premier League for another season. We also had a good run in the FA Cup. All of this while working under the Ashley constraints of which we have now had 13 not so glorious years.

Hopefully, the Saudi takeover will be approved and we can rebuild the club to compete again and be a top 6 team and play in Europe. It won't be easy, but for me Bruce deserves to continue in the job, takeover or no takeover.
TLDR - I will never be persuaded.
Anyone can be "brave".
He was 11th (eleventh) choice.
He is personable and I'll give him that as it does mean the players respond to him.
He has no tactical nous - "I don't believe in tactics."
ASM has saved his bacon + Dubravka.
Yay we're in the PL for another season. :rolleyes:;)
Our Cup run consisted of these results...some truly awful football matches, no disrespect...taken to replays by Rochdale and Oxford and then getting an unholy fright from WBA.
Third round Rochdale 1–1 Newcastle United
14 January 2020 Third round replay Newcastle United 4–1 Rochdale
25 January 2020 Fourth round Newcastle United 0–0 Oxford United
4 February 2020 Fourth round replay Oxford United 2–3 (a.e.t.) Newcastle United
3 March 2020 West Bromwich Albion
2–3 Newcastle United
Newcastle United
0–2 Manchester City

He will be found out if he stays.

TLDR - I will never be persuaded.
Anyone can be "brave".
He was 11th (eleventh) choice.
He is personable and I'll give him that as it does mean the players respond to him.
He has no tactical nous - "I don't believe in tactics."
ASM has saved his bacon + Dubravka.
Yay we're in the PL for another season. :rolleyes:;)
Our Cup run consisted of these results...some truly awful football matches, no disrespect...taken to replays by Rochdale and Oxford and then getting an unholy fright from WBA.
Third round Rochdale 1–1 Newcastle United
14 January 2020 Third round replay Newcastle United 4–1 Rochdale
25 January 2020 Fourth round Newcastle United 0–0 Oxford United
4 February 2020 Fourth round replay Oxford United 2–3 (a.e.t.) Newcastle United
3 March 2020 West Bromwich Albion
2–3 Newcastle United
Newcastle United
0–2 Manchester City

He will be found out if he stays.

- TLDR - ?????
- It doesn't matter if he was 1000000000000000011th choice, he was brave enough to take it and didn't do it for the "money".
- ASM has been excellent, but Bruce has also had to work with Joelinton standard players to get these results and points. He has done well with that.
- Man U struggled to beat Norwich, does that make them not worthy of their Semi-Final place?
- Most managers are generally found out and sacked when things turn against them. It's mostly a sack race this management meri-go-round.....

- TLDR - ?????
- It doesn't matter if he was 1000000000000000011th choice, he was brave enough to take it and didn't do it for the "money".
- ASM has been excellent, but Bruce has also had to work with Joelinton standard players to get these results and points. He has done well with that.
- Man U struggled to beat Norwich, does that make them not worthy of their Semi-Final place?
- Most managers are generally found out and sacked when things turn against them. It's mostly a sack race this management meri-go-round.....
I'm not buying the bravery angle.
To begin with he stuck with Rafa's tactics and got lucky with results.
Man U's cup run has been significantly more convincing than ours.
I agree they mostly get found out..."However, of the 33 managers to have managed 200 or more Premier League games, Bruce's win percentage of 28.1% (110 in 392 games) is the second lowest, ahead only of his former Manchester United team-mate Bryan Robson (26.8%)." https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49004679

I'm not buying the bravery angle.
To begin with he stuck with Rafa's tactics and got lucky with results.
Man U's cup run has been significantly more convincing than ours.
I agree they mostly get found out..."However, of the 33 managers to have managed 200 or more Premier League games, Bruce's win percentage of 28.1% (110 in 392 games) is the second lowest, ahead only of his former Manchester United team-mate Bryan Robson (26.8%)."

- Bruce stuck with Rafa's tactics as he had a limited pre-season and that was the system the players knew how to play with. He didn't want to play that way, but accepted it was the best way for the players, so he and his backroom staff adapted to that system. IMO that was the right thing to do and results have shown that was a good approach.
- Bruce has generally managed at the bottom end of the Premier League, so that would affect even top-rated managers statistics. It's not all about statistics - you need to put in into context of what he has to work with - players, budgets etc. He's better than the statistics show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back