advertisement

Multi-function football thread 2019/20 season II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frank Lampard wants to get deals sorted out for a striker and goalkeeper in January, reports the Metro. https://metro.co.uk

Kepa Arrizabalaga might be the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, but he needs competition at Chelsea. He sometimes does stupid things and fails to save shots he should. Burnley's Nick Pope is being considered.

Chelsea have submitted a loan offer of at least £5 Million to get Cavani from PSG for the rest of the season. This would add up to £350,000 a week for the Uruguayan. It remains to be seen if this will happen. The striker wants to go to Atletico during the summer. https://Cavani

Jack

It is not down to money. It is always difficult to replace a successful manager, AF was involved right across the club & it was a big hole to fill. United have always had money but sooner or later the competition catches up with you.

Sir Alex is a member of the Board, so he still has power to steer the club in the best direction he sees fit. Some of the decisions by the Board have been woeful. For instance, to loan out Sanchez to Inter Milan and subsidise his huge wages with no recall clause (at the very least a January recall clause) is abysmal management (or desperation to relieve the club financially) at Board level.

Fickle? … I gave up my season ticket the season after the Glazers took over, before Fergie left, and before we won our last league title, after beginning my pilgrimage in the late 80's. It was well documented at the time what their business model was about, and I wasn't going to line their pockets as a matter of choice. The scale of money made by United papers over the cracks, something that Liverpool couldn't generate, and the short comings under Hicks and Gillett arose much sooner. Moyes was a disaster of Souness proportions, clearing out a winning backroom staff, against Fergies advice, and then clearing out the senior players that he couldn't manage and would bring in players subservient to him, so any chance of a smooth transition to a younger successful team was lost. Remember the acquisition of Fellaini by Moyes? .. could have got him on a release clause, cocked up a load of other transfers, then panic buy him prior to the close of the window. At the time money wasn't invested when required, only when we would fall short of Champions League, and begin to threaten the contracts with the sponsors. Remember the Fergie mantra.. ''no value in the market!'', that only started when the Glazers arrived. Ed Woodward, a great financial mind, but a clown when it comes to footballing decisions, and an extension of the Glazers, so long as the money is rolling in, they don't care. The 'big' signings that United have made smack of his ego, and stupidity in the way he agreed to ludicrous wages. The Glazers saddled United with debt when they bought the club, which they could easily have cleared by now, but instead took the money out of the club. The stadium is falling into disrepair with many fans complaining of the roof leaking. United spend money on a spin doctor to deal with the press, yet refuse to spend 60 million on Bruno Fernandez who has stated that he wants to come to United, then start looking at 30 million for a 16 year old kid at Birmingham, you couldn't make it up. United have gotten rid of a lot of players off of the wage bill, but haven't replaced them, and now the squad is looking thread bare. When a club is run well, the aim, the structure, and the focus starts at the top. If the people at the top don't give a toss in any company, that attitude filters down through the company. Moyes aside, who was a joke, in his ability, his qualifications and his approach, have all had players that have downed tools. The attitude stinks throughout the club, why do you think Mourinho publicly held up his list of 6 defenders?.. because he knew we would get none of them, and we didn't. The Glazers are every bit the problem at United, and if you look beyond the money spent, which is the tip of the iceberg compared to money made, since their arrival, you wouldn't even begin to say that they are not the problem here.. look up the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and their blue print for business, it was there for all to see, along with their failing shopping malls.

Frank Lampard wants to get deals sorted out for a striker and goalkeeper in January, reports the Metro. https://metro.co.uk

Kepa Arrizabalaga might be the most expensive goalkeeper in the world, but he needs competition at Chelsea. He sometimes does stupid things and fails to save shots he should. Burnley's Nick Pope is being considered.

Chelsea have submitted a loan offer of at least £5 Million to get Cavani from PSG for the rest of the season. This would add up to £350,000 a week for the Uruguayan. It remains to be seen if this will happen. The striker wants to go to Atletico during the summer. https://Cavani

Jack

What is wrong with using Olivier Giroud? He can score goals in the Premiership, I just don't think he has been given a fair crack at it. He is reportedly bound for Inter.

What is wrong with using Olivier Giroud? He can score goals in the Premiership, I just don't think he has been given a fair crack at it. He is reportedly bound for Inter.

Giroud definitely hasn't had much of a chance this season. When he played in the past he didn't score that often. Neither did he during The World Cup. I like Giroud, but as you say he is on his way to Inter.

Jack

As for Ole, he wouldn't have gotten the job had he not been a club legend, combine him with Carrick, and the other lad learning on the job, it's never going to end well, is it?

I would like to see Olivier Giroud come up to Newcastle, he would be good "competition" for Joelinton who has been pretty ineffective thus far at £40m. Who knows where that valuation came from?

Last edited:
Fickle? … I gave up my season ticket the season after the Glazers took over, before Fergie left, and before we won our last league title, after beginning my pilgrimage in the late 80's. It was well documented at the time what their business model was about, and I wasn't going to line their pockets as a matter of choice. The scale of money made by United papers over the cracks, something that Liverpool couldn't generate, and the short comings under Hicks and Gillett arose much sooner. Moyes was a disaster of Souness proportions, clearing out a winning backroom staff, against Fergies advice, and then clearing out the senior players that he couldn't manage and would bring in players subservient to him, so any chance of a smooth transition to a younger successful team was lost. Remember the acquisition of Fellaini by Moyes? .. could have got him on a release clause, cocked up a load of other transfers, then panic buy him prior to the close of the window. At the time money wasn't invested when required, only when we would fall short of Champions League, and begin to threaten the contracts with the sponsors. Remember the Fergie mantra.. ''no value in the market!'', that only started when the Glazers arrived. Ed Woodward, a great financial mind, but a clown when it comes to footballing decisions, and an extension of the Glazers, so long as the money is rolling in, they don't care. The 'big' signings that United have made smack of his ego, and stupidity in the way he agreed to ludicrous wages. The Glazers saddled United with debt when they bought the club, which they could easily have cleared by now, but instead took the money out of the club. The stadium is falling into disrepair with many fans complaining of the roof leaking. United spend money on a spin doctor to deal with the press, yet refuse to spend 60 million on Bruno Fernandez who has stated that he wants to come to United, then start looking at 30 million for a 16 year old kid at Birmingham, you couldn't make it up. United have gotten rid of a lot of players off of the wage bill, but haven't replaced them, and now the squad is looking thread bare. When a club is run well, the aim, the structure, and the focus starts at the top. If the people at the top don't give a toss in any company, that attitude filters down through the company. Moyes aside, who was a joke, in his ability, his qualifications and his approach, have all had players that have downed tools. The attitude stinks throughout the club, why do you think Mourinho publicly held up his list of 6 defenders?.. because he knew we would get none of them, and we didn't. The Glazers are every bit the problem at United, and if you look beyond the money spent, which is the tip of the iceberg compared to money made, since their arrival, you wouldn't even begin to say that they are not the problem here.. look up the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and their blue print for business, it was there for all to see, along with their failing shopping malls.

Maybe failure to get top 4 this season and the riches that brings might focus minds... internet forum's I've seen were suggesting a Saudi buyout?

Maybe failure to get top 4 this season and the riches that brings might focus minds... internet forum's I've seen were suggesting a Saudi buyout?

That is the hope.. fingers crossed Kevin Glazer (from memory) begun the process, when he begun selling his stock last year in United, which will hopefully be the beginning of the end of their ownership. I do believe that their mismanagement is beginning to impact the future profit opportunities, without major investment, so the juice is fast becoming not worth the squeeze. The big gamble that still hasn't come to fruition, is the individual club tv rights, that would make billions for the club, but that isn't looking like a prospect anytime soon. So, milk the club for every last penny, before selling out seems to be the order of the day.
The empty seats last night halfway through the second half, and less so at the beginning of the match, proves that even season ticket holders are voting with their feet. There are thousands of old skool reds waiting to return to Old Trafford, but that won't happen until the Glazers go, but they are still there, waiting.

Sir Alex is a member of the Board, so he still has power to steer the club in the best direction he sees fit. Some of the decisions by the Board have been woeful. For instance, to loan out Sanchez to Inter Milan and subsidise his huge wages with no recall clause (at the very least a January recall clause) is abysmal management (or desperation to relieve the club financially) at Board level.
I think SA has very little really say in MUFC.

Correct.. if he had any sway, it would have been as a manager initially, but his 'mantra' shows he had none there, and any chance he had at board level, disappeared with the Moyes recommendation. Sadly, as amazing as Fergies legacy as a manager at United is, it is equally tarnished by the Glazer ownership. It was a result of Fergie and the Magners horse spunk dispute, and Fergie's greed for stud rights, that prompted the Magners to sell-up, and opened the door for the aggressive Glazer takeover.. his greed undid all of his hard work, ultimately.

It seems I was incorrect about the Board of Directors - Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby Charlton do not sit on that:

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
  • Avram Glazer – Executive Co-Chairman and Director

• Joel Glazer – Executive Co-Chairman and Director

• Edward Woodward – Executive Vice Chairman and Director

• Richard Arnold – Group Managing Director and Director

• Cliff Baty – Chief Financial Officer

• Kevin Glazer – Director

• Bryan Glazer – Director

• Darcie Glazer Kassewitz – Director

• Edward Glazer – Director

• Robert Leitão – Independent Director

• Manu Sawhney – Independent Director

• John Hooks – Independent Director
Other than the Glazer family members, the others mean nothing. Is there anyone on that Board with any Football Background and Experience?

Moyes was a disaster of Souness proportions, clearing out a winning backroom staff, against Fergies advice, and then clearing out the senior players that he couldn't manage and would bring in players subservient to him, so any chance of a smooth transition to a younger successful team was lost.

Souness was a disaster at Newcastle too. He broke up and ruined a good Sir Bobby Robson side.

What I cannot believe is that MUFC/SAF let Moyes come in and mess with what was a Premier League winning team. Would the direction and makeup of the squad and backroom team not form part of an interview process before being let loose with the job? For me it beggars belief that he was allowed to move out much of the SAF backroom and bring in his own. People like Mike Phelan should not have been allowed to go - they should have been part of the transition to support a new manager.

The like button doesn’t do justice to this post. I love it, love it a la Keegan.
Seeing Man U absolutely screwed and LFC flying high is a wonderful thing.

Correct.. if he had any sway, it would have been as a manager initially, but his 'mantra' shows he had none there, and any chance he had at board level, disappeared with the Moyes recommendation. Sadly, as amazing as Fergies legacy as a manager at United is, it is equally tarnished by the Glazer ownership. It was a result of Fergie and the Magners horse spunk dispute, and Fergie's greed for stud rights, that prompted the Magners to sell-up, and opened the door for the aggressive Glazer takeover.. his greed undid all of his hard work, ultimately.
Not really, his managerial achievements & where it took untied are there for ever. Owners change. All clubs go up & down, pretty much every manager gets overtaken by greed at some point.

Relax, it could be worse, you could support Huddersfield Town. Look at our record over the last 20 years & count yourself lucky.

Jack
Kepa has his issues, most prominent is not coming for crosses. That issue is highlighted by the fact that we don’t seem to have aggressive headers of the ball. A whole heap of goals have been conceded from crosses and despite a million corners, we don’t have anyone who can nod the ball in the chuffin’ net!

Kepa’s also shat at delivering the ball, he gave the ball away from a throw/kick out again on Tuesday. Seems to happen most games now.

Last edited:
Kepa has his issues, most prominent is not coming for crosses. That issue is highlighted by the fact that we don’t seem to have aggressive headers of the ball. A whole heap of goals have been conceded from crosses and despite a million corners, we don’t have anyone who can nod the ball in the chuffin’ net!

Kepa’s also shat at delivering the ball, he gave the ball away from a throw kick out again on Tuesday. Seems to happen most games now.

Kepa is rubbish at getting rid of the ball in the area and sometimes passes it to the opposition when they are nearby. He is also iffy at dealing with crosses and corners and punches them out badly. Having said that he does some fantastic saves.

Luiz used to score from headers and Rudiger occasionally does. We sold Luiz to the Arses unfortunately. It's good that he got a red card and was sent off against Chelsea the other day. Well done David. :cool:

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back