advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klopp is a great coach if you like his brand of long ball football ;)

I think though he underestimated the importance of a winning culture. He’d be wise to try and win a trophy to get the players used to the idea of winning, this is how all great winning dynasties start. Even lowly Chelsea managed a trophy last season. Klopp hasn’t even won a raffle in his time at Liverpool. I expect them to crumble as per usual.

There's a bit of bad news about Odoi in the Metro today, if it's true.

"Bayern have already had three bids rejected for Hudson-Odoi this winter but, according to Sky Germany, their latest offer of £31.4m has been accepted by the Blues." https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/08/chel...dson-odoi-already-knows-shirt-number-8322244/

Chelsea were dumb when they sold Salah. He was starting to show real potential during very limited appearances.

Odoi though is already blossoming. Chelsea would be idiots to get rid of him.

Jack

hey Jack Brexit will fail regardless of who wins....we're gonna be left with a mess

Mmm, true ...

Chelsea played well tonight, even though they lost 1 - 0. The Blues had over 65% possession and hit the woodwork twice. Kane was brought down by Kepa at one point and was onside receiving the ball, so a penalty was fair enough.

Winger Callum Hudson Odoi was excellent on the attack. His interplay with Hazard was cool. It will be shame if he goes to Bayern. He has 18 months left on his contract and Sarri should tell him he'll have a starting place in the first team.

Giroud came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes. Unfortunately the Frenchman was ineffective due to inaccurate crosses.

A commentator said the game illustrated what people have known for a long time - Chelsea badly need to get a great striker. Earlier his studio partner said if Chelsea had somebody like Kane, they would be pretty unstoppable.

If Sarri gets us a goalscorer who clicks with the team, he might manage Chelsea for more than one or two years.

I reckon we'll win the second leg at Stamford Bridge and get through to the Final.

Jack

Chelsea need a goalscorer desperately. Spurs easily kept them at bay. Spurs will win the away leg, our away form I'd better than our home.

We will lose the final against the cheque book northerners

Sarri said in a press conference that Kane was offside and has video to prove it, so Spurs shouldn't have had a penalty. https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/08/chel...le-proves-harry-kane-offside-penalty-8324210/

"A few minutes ago I watched the video from our camera. It was offside. Our camera was in line with Harry Kane," Sarri said.

"Offside with the head, the knee."

Typical really. Spurs are not a first class team and certainly won't win the PL this year.

Below is a Sky interview with Sarri about the penalty.

Jack

Typical really. Spurs are not a first class team and certainly won't win the PL this year.

Chelsea were the better side for about 70 minutes of the match last night and particularly dominated in the 2nd half. A combination of poor finishing and bad luck (woodwork) gifted Spurs an undeserved victory.
The penalty was an incredibly close call and the fact that the images VAR used to make the decision were not even in line with play is unforgivable.
All still to play for in the 2nd leg and of course our failure to score an away goal is unimportant as they don't count double.

Sarri said in a press conference that Kane was offside and has video to prove it, so Spurs shouldn't have had a penalty. https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/08/chel...le-proves-harry-kane-offside-penalty-8324210/

"A few minutes ago I watched the video from our camera. It was offside. Our camera was in line with Harry Kane," Sarri said.

"Offside with the head, the knee."

Below is a Sky interview with Sarri about the penalty.

Jack

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Unless we have camera angles exactly along the line, decisions will always be subjective, due to parallax errors. Sarri cannot say with 100% certainty that it was offside due to the angle.

The penalty was an incredibly close call and the fact that the images VAR used to make the decision were not even in line with play is unforgivable.

All still to play for in the 2nd leg and of course our failure to score an away goal is unimportant as they don't count double.

Exactly. That was appalling about the VAR. I look forward to the next game on January 24th.

Apparently Higuain has accepted terms and is due to sign. Hopefully he'll play, although I'm surprised Marina Granovskaia has climbed down from her ruling that no player over 30 will be bought by Chelsea.

Mind you he's only scored 8 goals in 20 appearances at AC Milan this season, where he is on loan. That is a Morata rate. Sarri loves him though. https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/08/chelsea-set-sign-gonzalo-higuain-striker-accepts-offer-8324230/

‘I miss Higuain a great deal. I miss him because he’ll keep scoring goals until the day he dies,’ said the Chelsea manager.

‘He is a goal machine, a systematic and automatic jackpot.’

We'll see.

Jack

I think though he underestimated the importance of a winning culture. He’d be wise to try and win a trophy to get the players used to the idea of winning, this is how all great winning dynasties start. Even lowly Chelsea managed a trophy last season. Klopp hasn’t even won a raffle in his time at Liverpool. I expect them to crumble as per usual.

It's his third full season in charge, season one, with zero spend he got to a European final and has transformed them into an entertaining hgh pressing high scoring team... another European final last year whilst losing a 'star player' demonstrates progress. If the FA Cup is sacrificed and he wins something this year then the fans will soon forgive Monday's decision to field a poor team.... if he ends up potless then he'll be hammered.

undeserved victory

How is this derived? Surely the team that "deserves" to win is the one that scores more goals. Yes Chelsea were "unlucky" or maybe their finishing wasn't good enough

VAR used to make the decision were not even in line with play is unforgivable

This will always be the case, they do not have cameras that look along the line of play, so the images will always be subject to parallax errors

Can't argue with this opinion about Hazard. He's far too good for Chelsea & it's time he moved on to get the trophies his talent deserves: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46811467
and of course everyone hangs on every word that the totally unbiased Jermaine Jenas has to say who was a distinctly average player and is a worse pundit.
Hazard probably will move on but wherever he goes there is no guarantee of trophies although I think the only one he's missing is the CL.
Five trophies in six years at Chelsea doesn't sound too shabby to me;)

and of course everyone hangs on every word that the totally unbiased Jermaine Jenas has to say who was a distinctly average player and is a worse pundit.
Hazard probably will move on but wherever he goes there is no guarantee of trophies although I think the only one he's missing is the CL.
Five trophies in six years at Chelsea doesn't sound too shabby to me;)

I can see Chelsea finishing outside the CL places this year. They're a shadow of the team they once were - only Hazard is keeping them in with a shout of silverware now. Once he's gone Chelsea will quickly go backwards.

Maybe City will make a bid - he'd well under Pep...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back