advertisement

multi-function 2018/2019 football thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Bridge today for the first time in 30 years (The Shed,Micky Droy, Kerry Dixon era)

Anyway, you need a replacement for Morata - he's totally lost the fans and the body language with his team mates was not too clever.
Mass laughter in the crowd every time he fell over (quite a lot) and more laughter every time he fluffed a scoring chance. Bewildered astonishment greeted him actually scoring.

Sarri is moving in to sign Edinson Cavani from PSG for 50 Million, according to The Express. He's scored 324 goals in 519 games. That sounds alright to me, if we're going to have an instant fix.

The Uruguayan is 31, which is too old for Chelsea's director Marina Granovskaia. No wonder Sarri says he's made his wishes known and it's up to the board.

I'll be surprised if he gets away with it. Plenty of other managers have tried and failed.

Meanwhile Sarri has told Callum Hudson-Odoi to stay on at Chelsea, which is great. Odoi should reject Bayern, who have offered 30 Million for the teenager, and want a loan if they can't buy him. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/07/chelsea-maurizio-sarri-tottenham-carabao-cup

Sarri's alright for a manager. And we are picky. :)

Jack

Sarri is moving in to sign Edinson Cavani from PSG for 50 Million, according to The Express. He's scored 324 goals in 519 games. That sounds alright to me, if we're going to have an instant fix.
:)

Jack

Cavani is a proper goal scorer, but part of that comes from his insistence that he takes every penalty. Look at his bony face and ask yourself would you want to argue with him?

L'Pool didn't wanna play, they positively didn't want to score. Purely a tactical defeat, disrespecting the compo.
Yes, clearly no interest in winning the game. I can't recall them ever putting out anything like a full strength squad for any FAC match since Klopp has been in charge tbh, which I find disappointing as it's a great competition.

Yes, clearly no interest in winning the game.

If that were really the case why bring on Salah & Firmino with 20 mins to go?
I think Klopp was trying to go through with minimum risk to key players and underestimated Wolves/overestimated the quality and commitment of certain fringe players.
If Liverpool land either the PL or CL it will all be forgotten - if they don't it will be his 4th season in charge with no silverware.

If that were really the case why bring on Salah & Firmino with 20 mins to go?
I think Klopp was trying to go through with minimum risk to key players and underestimated Wolves/overestimated the quality and commitment of certain fringe players.
If Liverpool land either the PL or CL it will all be forgotten - if they don't it will be his 4th season in charge with no silverware.

I don't agree, bringing on Salah and Firmino felt like window dressing, a mere nod to the competition. Liverpool were playing a top-half premier league team, hardly a 'minnow'. If they wanted to progress then it should have been a stronger starting 11 or changes made earlier - the shortcomings were huge and obvious from the start, if Wolves had started more confidently they could have won it at a canter.

Maybe Klopp was using it to show that he doesn't have the depth/quality of squad that the money men think he has? The window is a good time for a wake-up call.

I like Klopp, but he would have been out on his ass by now if he managed Chelsea. This is why we have won so many trophies since Abramovich took over.

Jack

He was resting his best players because he has an encounter with the mighty Seagulls this week-end.

OTOH our second team brushed aside Bournemouth's quite easily.

To keep them "match warm", Spurs did the same with Harry Kane.
With respect I think the demands on Kane entering the fray in the 75th minute with his side leading 6-0 is not quite the same.
Liverpool were losing and Klopp clearly thought that by introducing those two the result could be salvaged.

To keep them "match warm", Spurs did the same with Harry Kane.

Will it do the trick though? We'll find out tonight.

On the plus side, Hazard and Callum Hudson-Odoi will play for Chelsea. The latter has much more long term potential than Kane, given he's only 18. Morata might even score another goal, although I wouldn't put money on it.

The downer is we have a lot of injuries: Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Willian won't play. Olivier Giroud, Pedro and Mateo Kovačić are all doubtful.

Hopefully we'll have a new striker by the second leg on January 24th, at football heaven Stamford Bridge. Plus Son isn't playing one the Carabao Cup matches. I like him, he'd fit in well at Chelsea.

Jack

I think it merely reflects Klopp's concerns for his main squad picking up injuries in the pub football atmosphere of the FA Cup.
I think Wolves are a great team, love their playing style-they embarrassed Liverpool last night but I am using the word Liverpool very loosely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back