Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Motorbikes wtf ?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by badger748, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Yes - very much so - a real safety concern for people with poor or no sight.
    There are actually conversations happening within the industry about a standard way to address the problem

2. badger748

badger748 Like en eel. But in reverse.

Interesting thread.
    From someone who has a long history on bikes, i get it, i really do! First time I ever rode a pokey sportsbike i couldnt believe it.... it still is the most visceral and exciting experience. I also did many track days. There's little I haven't done on bikes, so as the OP and someone seasoned with the good and bad of motorbikes, i can see all sides of all arguments here. For record, I've had the broken bones, hospital stays myself and attended funerals. So I really do have a full spectrum of experience.
    I object to what i see outside my home every flippin sunny weekend. Often in packs of 10-20, convoys of sportsbikes going (anyone remember Spaceballs!) "ludicrous speed", crazy overtakes, massive risks. We are on a bend, with public footpaths either side. It is horrendous trying to cross the road on foot, let alone pull out of our drive. The Police do have units around the area, but nothing changes.
    It is what it is, massive illegal acts.
    PS - agree with many in my own personal dislike of electric anything and even more so, Harleys.

3. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Range will be battery size if they stick with batteries, and batteries are not going to get majorly smaller and/or more energy-dense.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Agreed. I think they're a brilliant way to get around a city and obviously far more eco-friendly than driving.

My point was that if you spend your days weaving in and out of bus lanes at 30mph during rush hour wearing headphones, with no helmet and no lights those days may be numbered.

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Excellent! I wish I lived in a wonderful place like that.

6. bor

bor queue jumper

Sounds like your objection is to it happening outside your house.

I would be staggered if you haven't done exactly the same thing outside someone else's house.

7. badger748

badger748 Like en eel. But in reverse.

I saved my hooning for the track. As i also do in cars now I've stopped bikes.

8. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

The continentals have got monowheeling form going back a looong way ..

[​IMG]

9. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I'm with you on all that (barring the electric bit: I've ridden a few electric Moto-crossers, and I'm pretty sure they'd help change your mind:) )

I must confess to occasionally letting rip on the bike, and not perhaps fully complying with blanket national speed-restrictions - but if you're doing it through built-up areas or with no margins and are putting others in danger - or p1ssing off the locals - that's just plain stupid and daft. It just brings us ever closer to the inevitable state-enforced GPS monitored clampdown on everybody, everywhere, all the time.

At the risk of bringing down all sorts of unmerciful flaming - fast bikes are the last little bastion of motoring freedom, and if we as bikers don't take care with that, we'll lose it to the compliance brigade.

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Yes, quite possibly. I really do dislike it when people ride with earphones in, I suppose I am contradicting myself but from personal experience sound is a great indicator of hazard when on a cycle.

cctaylor, paulfromcamden and H20GNA like this.
  11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Does freedom only start at 70mph?

I get the liberty people will feel on a bike, two wheels can weave through traffic but I object to the silly speeds & risk taking.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Cars are, yes, and especially at low speed. Buses, less so. I saw an E-bus in town yesterday, and it was audible enough.

13. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

get some brembo m50s on that with some top drawer sintered pads.

14. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Finally something we don’t agree on :p

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  15. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Some comment I found on the web:

Harley Davidson: The most effective way to turn gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower.

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  16. unclefz

unclefz Member

Not sure if this will work but....

Not really about speeding past peoples homes on loud bikes but..

17. Arkless Electronics

.... and all that long hair and popular music that these young people seem to be so into will be the end of civilisation... I'd have 3 people with red flags walking in front of every moped....

H20GNA likes this.
  18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

As ever you talk complete nonsense whenever you stray from soldering;)

19. Arkless Electronics

You must wonder what it's like to have an adrenal gland:p

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Ever descended the Galibier on a push bike?