advertisement

Motorbikes wtf ?

Are electric cars that much quieter? Most noise seems to come from tyres these days.

Yes - very much so - a real safety concern for people with poor or no sight.
There are actually conversations happening within the industry about a standard way to address the problem

Interesting thread.
From someone who has a long history on bikes, i get it, i really do! First time I ever rode a pokey sportsbike i couldnt believe it.... it still is the most visceral and exciting experience. I also did many track days. There's little I haven't done on bikes, so as the OP and someone seasoned with the good and bad of motorbikes, i can see all sides of all arguments here. For record, I've had the broken bones, hospital stays myself and attended funerals. So I really do have a full spectrum of experience.
I object to what i see outside my home every flippin sunny weekend. Often in packs of 10-20, convoys of sportsbikes going (anyone remember Spaceballs!) "ludicrous speed", crazy overtakes, massive risks. We are on a bend, with public footpaths either side. It is horrendous trying to cross the road on foot, let alone pull out of our drive. The Police do have units around the area, but nothing changes.
It is what it is, massive illegal acts.
PS - agree with many in my own personal dislike of electric anything and even more so, Harleys.

Taken in the round I think e-scooters are not a threat to society compared to motor vehicles.

Agreed. I think they're a brilliant way to get around a city and obviously far more eco-friendly than driving.

My point was that if you spend your days weaving in and out of bus lanes at 30mph during rush hour wearing headphones, with no helmet and no lights those days may be numbered.

I object to what i see outside my home every flippin sunny weekend.

Sounds like your objection is to it happening outside your house.

I would be staggered if you haven't done exactly the same thing outside someone else's house.

Sounds like your objection is to it happening outside your house.

I would be staggered if you haven't done exactly the same thing outside someone else's house.
I saved my hooning for the track. As i also do in cars now I've stopped bikes.

The French seem to be world leaders at wheelying, loads of them do it and in fact wheely-prone bikes are quite popular here too. Eg the KTM 690 SMC

Also loads of kids on push bikes seem to be able to ride to school on their back wheel for the entire journey. Even round corners. Kudos

The continentals have got monowheeling form going back a looong way ..

8CjWYwQh.jpg

Interesting thread.
From someone who has a long history on bikes, i get it, i really do! First time I ever rode a pokey sportsbike i couldnt believe it.... it still is the most visceral and exciting experience. I also did many track days. There's little I haven't done on bikes, so as the OP and someone seasoned with the good and bad of motorbikes, i can see all sides of all arguments here. For record, I've had the broken bones, hospital stays myself and attended funerals. So I really do have a full spectrum of experience.
I object to what i see outside my home every flippin sunny weekend. Often in packs of 10-20, convoys of sportsbikes going (anyone remember Spaceballs!) "ludicrous speed", crazy overtakes, massive risks. We are on a bend, with public footpaths either side. It is horrendous trying to cross the road on foot, let alone pull out of our drive. The Police do have units around the area, but nothing changes.
It is what it is, massive illegal acts.
PS - agree with many in my own personal dislike of electric anything and even more so, Harleys.

I'm with you on all that (barring the electric bit: I've ridden a few electric Moto-crossers, and I'm pretty sure they'd help change your mind:) )

I must confess to occasionally letting rip on the bike, and not perhaps fully complying with blanket national speed-restrictions - but if you're doing it through built-up areas or with no margins and are putting others in danger - or p1ssing off the locals - that's just plain stupid and daft. It just brings us ever closer to the inevitable state-enforced GPS monitored clampdown on everybody, everywhere, all the time.

At the risk of bringing down all sorts of unmerciful flaming - fast bikes are the last little bastion of motoring freedom, and if we as bikers don't take care with that, we'll lose it to the compliance brigade.

Agreed. I think they're a brilliant way to get around a city and obviously far more eco-friendly than driving.

My point was that if you spend your days weaving in and out of bus lanes at 30mph during rush hour wearing headphones, with no helmet and no lights those days may be numbered.
Yes, quite possibly. I really do dislike it when people ride with earphones in, I suppose I am contradicting myself but from personal experience sound is a great indicator of hazard when on a cycle.

I'm with you on all that (barring the electric bit: I've ridden a few electric Moto-crossers, and I'm pretty sure they'd help change your mind:) )

I must confess to occasionally letting rip on the bike, and not perhaps fully complying with blanket national speed-restrictions - but if you're doing it through built-up areas or with no margins and are putting others in danger - or p1ssing off the locals - that's just plain stupid and daft. It just brings us ever closer to the inevitable state-enforced GPS monitored clampdown on everybody, everywhere, all the time.

At the risk of bringing down all sorts of unmerciful flaming - fast bikes are the last little bastion of motoring freedom, and if we as bikers don't take care with that, we'll lose it to the compliance brigade.
Does freedom only start at 70mph?

I get the liberty people will feel on a bike, two wheels can weave through traffic but I object to the silly speeds & risk taking.

Does freedom only start at 70mph?

I get the liberty people will feel on a bike, two wheels can weave through traffic but I object to the silly speeds & risk taking.

.... and all that long hair and popular music that these young people seem to be so into will be the end of civilisation... I'd have 3 people with red flags walking in front of every moped....

advertisement

Back