advertisement

Metal

Been meaning to check Clouds out for a while, so now I will, when the mood next takes me for some DOOM.

Nice list Yomanze, if you haven't already check out Eye of Solitude and Clouds. "Canto III" is a classic but all EoS/Clouds are quality (Clouds are members from both EoS and SofDespair).

Stuff that sounds like the music being discussed, but which has clean vocals? I'd suggest Control Denied - it's basically a slightly dialled back latter-day Death with a melodic singer. As in it literally is the same band, just with someone other than Chuck singing.

Some of my favourites outside of the classics:

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Can't agree with that - it's THE classic of its kind! I even moaned to EW's manager because someone had had the gall to remaster it, haha!

You have a point Dave, and yeah, remasters suck. Control Denied are a good call, Nevermore a definite shout if you like them.

I meant classics like Black Sabbath, Priest etc., don’t think they need to be mentioned in this thread. :)

While I'm thinking of it, it'll be a bit much for some, but I just heard about these guys and downloaded their last album (not their most recent, but the most recent that it appears one can buy via bandcamp, as opposed to just listening to it online). Mental Japanese grind/power violence. Kind of reminds me of Narcosis from way back when.

Self Deconstruction (click).

Bethlehem are more in the personal feeling category than the recognised classic category. But you should definitely at least hear a bit of Dictius Te Necare (I'll try to link a video, but if it doesn't work, you can always youtube it or something) even if only to hear the extraordinary vocals.

I just clicked this and my dog almost shat himself, barking like mad! (Or singing along)

I must be barking mad Dave, I thought it was the dogs b*****ks!
Do I pick this one up first or "Dark Metal"? I also see the band have had their problems with censorship...

Couldn't say which, as the one I linked is the only one I've listened to myself. That singer (Rainer Landfermann) isn't on Dark Metal though, if that makes a difference to you. Glad you liked it, either way.

While I'm posting links (this is ok by the forum rules, isn't it?), I can't resist adding one more, just because it's one of my favourite songs, and I'm listening to it at the moment:

Thanks for the many "clean vocals" suggestions.
I'll be working my way through along with the usual tangents such sessions tend to go on.

Couldn't say which, as the one I linked is the only one I've listened to myself. That singer (Rainer Landfermann) isn't on Dark Metal though, if that makes a difference to you. Glad you liked it, either way.

While I'm posting links (this is ok by the forum rules, isn't it?), I can't resist adding one more, just because it's one of my favourite songs, and I'm listening to it at the moment:

Thanks for the Skitsystem Dave, I will certainly check them out. This forum has been brilliant for finding new and old stuff...
Been picking old releases from Ancestors Blood. I really liked their recent release and delved into the back catalogue. They don't get great reviews on MA but they seem to click with me...

Bit of Funeral doom for you guys:

Skepticism - Lead and Aether
Evoken - Shades of Night Descending
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Esoteric - The Pernicious Enigma
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Talking of Esoteric they are playing a gig in London this weekend apparently and I was told Greg has left Lychgate a couple of months ago...just as they are releasing a highly anticipated LP. Maybe Esoteric have some new material in the pipeline...

Man, I've not listened to that since it came out. I love a good side project and I was always a Sep and Fudge Tunnel fan. I'll have to dig out my CD rip.

At the moment I'm working my way through EVERYTHING (on bandcamp) that Deathspell Omega have done. Thanks for tip, whoever it was. Things are just getting interesting around "Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum".
How the DSO feeding frenzy going Deek?

How the DSO feeding frenzy going Deek?

Paracletus is up next but I probably won't get round to it until Monday as I listen to digital through headphones at work (I don't really have a proper setup at home, just TT).

I normally go through an unfamiliar band's discography in chronological order to get an idea where they came from and how they've progressed. I don't listen to a lot of black metal to have many reference points but was enjoying the variation in "Fas ite milidicti...".

Guys, I don't often get into the punk crust scene but the new Marrow release is well worth the NYP purchase....
https://morrowpunx.bandcamp.com/album/fallow
Lovin' the addition of the violin and cello into their sound structures...

Crust is a wierd one... Once you get past the excellent Amebix, Discharge, Doom, Electro Hippies etc it starts getting a bit samey in my mind. Although I really got into the Japanese stuff, Disclose and Framtid are pretty decent.

Hmmmm.... I think a large gap has suddenly appeared in my punk/metal awareness! I didn't even think I was that old !!!!!

Apparently Marrow are in the "d-beat" genre... I am loosing track of these different styles of metal! I still bought it though and gave them a little more for grabbing my attention....

D-beat is the drum beat that Discharge use. Not sure if they were technically the first but they certainly made it popular. There're a ton of DISclones out there. If you've not heard Discharge then you should checkout their 'Why' EP AND "hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing" album. It's the blue print for hardcore crust punk whatever you wanna call it. And it rips!

D-beat is the drum beat that Discharge use. Not sure if they were technically the first but they certainly made it popular. There're a ton of DISclones out there. If you've not heard Discharge then you should checkout their 'Why' EP AND "hear nothing, see nothing, say nothing" album. It's the blue print for hardcore crust punk whatever you wanna call it. And it rips!
Will do, thanks.

advertisement

Back