advertisement

Metal

Reactions: Jlc

I like this. I do have some punk/hardcore in my collection but it’s not a genre I’ve explored much, this has rekindled my interest.

Yeah, cool band RoyalBlue, always appreciated them, this genre isn't represented enough here so contribute more!

Also check out ItPoW:
http://inthepresenceofwolves.bandcamp.com/album/of-two-minds-stages-1-2-the-ape-and-the-cage

And maybe these guys as well that caught my attention...
http://vamacara.bandcamp.com/album/mantras-for-the-manifold
http://riftwalker.bandcamp.com/album/green-black

I couldn’t help but think Fall Out Boy and Coheed and Cambria when listening to ItPoW!:D
The other two links were pretty good, especially Vamacara, but it’s a little short for €7.

Punk and hardcore has been influencing death and black for a while now with some great results, a recent purchase was Hot Graves.

I know BMB but actually I really enjoyed the ItPow, its not the kind of metal I usually listen to but its the only band in this genre I identified with and really got into to, the album is quite dear to me for some reason and I absolutely love the album cover. Another band I always had a soft spot for is Persefone, who I guess is more symphonic technical, good band.

This brings back memories, there was an English band (now disbanded) in this area of metal I really liked but can't put my finger on it...it began with "X" I think...thats going to drive me nuts all day now.:confused::)

Anyone get into grindcore, especially Extreme Noise Terror? They hold a special place in my heart, as my brother was the lead singer (?).

I do like my punk and grindcore, most of the stuff I listen to is 80's 90's. ENT get played every now and then :)

I like this. I do have some punk/hardcore in my collection but it’s not a genre I’ve explored much, this has rekindled my interest.

Is this punk/hardcore? I thought it sounded like black/death metal :) What I like about this track is that it has melody, rhythm and the raw energy of the performance.

Is this punk/hardcore? I thought it sounded like black/death metal :) What I like about this track is that it has melody, rhythm and the raw energy of the performance.

If it makes you want to jump around it’s punk, if it has songs <2 minutes it’s grindcore.:D

I’ve only listened to a couple of tracks from the album so far but there are various genre influences. There are so many overlapping genres in metal these days it’s sometimes hard to pigeonhole bands. The album is NYP on bandcamp so I’ll be buying it soon, it’s something I wouldn’t have discovered normally, so thanks for posting it.

If it makes you want to jump around it’s punk, if it has songs <2 minutes it’s grindcore.:D

I’ve only listened to a couple of tracks from the album so far but there are various genre influences. There are so many overlapping genres in metal these days it’s sometimes hard to pigeonhole bands. The album is NYP on bandcamp so I’ll be buying it soon, it’s something I wouldn’t have discovered normally, so thanks for posting it.

@Blackmetalboon summed it up perfectly, I couldn't have worded it any better myself.
Ps J, the Hot Graves LP is so cool, thanks again.

Anyone get into grindcore, especially Extreme Noise Terror? They hold a special place in my heart, as my brother was the lead singer (?).

ENT are ace, not far behind Discharge for genre defining, IMO. Murder is a classic.

When you say was, you don’t mean Phil Vane, do you? My condolences if so. But either way, your brother was part of a minor legend to lots of people.

There are so many genres, D-beat and crust punk also fit a band like Halshugd. It was easier before all those labels appeared. I've listened to Discharge and ENT and found bands like Driller Killer, Skitsystem and Deviated Instinct after a little round on Youtube.

Last edited:
Yep, brother is Phil who left us 9 years ago. For reasons I don’t need to discuss we didn’t talk for many years, but when I saw the Brit Awards in 92 I had one of those proud big brother moments. We were brought together by our father passing in 2000 and all was good after that.

...but when I saw the Brit Awards in 92 I had one of those proud big brother moments.

I bet you did! I was a bit young to get it at the time, but remember watching it happen on telly. In retrospect it was a great moment. I only saw ENT with Phil briefly (a few songs at a fest in Holland years ago), but remember being so enthused by the gig that afterwards I declared to my mates that all bands should henceforth only sound like Napalm or ENT :)

There are so many genres, D-beat and crust punk also fit a band like Halshugd. It was easier before all those labels appeared. I've listened to Discharge and ENT and found bands like Driller Killer, Skitsystem and Deviated Instinct after a little round on Youtube.

Skitsystem’s Stigmata album is brilliant, IMO, especially the title track. Their stuff with Tompa is fine, of course, but that album’s their zenith for me. It was fantastic to see them play that track in Czech a while back, never thought I’d get to see them. Even bought a shirt IIRC, though I’ve since lost it!

As an aside, if you like that stuff, you may enjoy Fukpig and/or Thicko if you’ve not heard them, and care to check them out.

advertisement

Back