advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

The McPherson report found the Met to be institutionally racist 23 years ago. Almost a quarter of a century later the Daniel Morgan report described the force as institutionally corrupt.

Almost every week there's a story of a Met officer behaving inappropriately.

I'm fully supportive of the police. I have no beef with individual officers who do a extremely difficult job and often find themselves in dangerous situations - as we very sadly saw this morning.

But there's no avoiding the fact that the organisational culture of the Met is decades overdue a top down overhaul. I'm sure there are plenty of serving officers who would agree.

They need to be kept at the point of the sword - it took the a while to begin with, it was only after the press became involved that anything happened, initially the suspect was interviewed as a witness!

Utter rubbish. Death by police is a mandatory IOPC referral. It didn't take any external pressure.

B*llocks - they beat the confessions out of them as they have always done.

More rubbish.

The McPherson report found the Met to be institutionally racist 23 years ago. Almost a quarter of a century later the Daniel Morgan report described the force as institutionally corrupt.

I'm fully supportive of the police. I have no beef with individual officers who do a extremely difficult job and often find themselves in dangerous situations - as we very sadly saw this morning.

But there's no avoiding the fact that the organisational culture of the Met is decades overdue a top down overhaul. I'm sure there are plenty of serving officers who would agree.

I do have to wonder why the Home Sec has appointed another ex-copper. If the culture is broken, how does someone who came up through it, fix it? Time for an external appointment?

I understand that he's yet to be interviewed!

Well that criticism should be aimed at the IOPC. Clue's in the 'I'. Doesn't mean that the Met failed to refer the matter, or that it only happened due to external pressures, as you suggested earlier.

The NPCC agree
https://news.npcc.police.uk/release...-black-people-and-change-a-legacy-of-distrust

Wise up...

No, Gavin. Amongst some that post here, you are better than this. I say that with all due deference to the info in particular you have updated us all on in the Covid era.

It may feed the vitriol that permeates thru such threads as this, but the fact it this was immediately alerted to the IOPC. The fact this wasn’t publicised as such is a different issue.

Mods - moderate or delete as applicable.

No, Gavin. Amongst some that post here, you are better than this. I say that with all due deference to the info in particular you have updated us all on in the Covid era.

It may feed the vitriol that permeates thru such threads as this, but the fact it this was immediately alerted to the IOPC. The fact this wasn’t publicised as such is a different issue.

Why would mods moderate or delete this post?

Yes many coppers do a wonderful job. They are nothing more than a reflection of the society from which they are recruited. Some are great, some are average, some are lazy, some have a shocking attitude. They are carrying out a difficult job often in difficult circumstances.

Just for background: in my day job I meet many police officers in a professional capacity. I also teach a number of police officers in my gym. A couple are armed response officers, one a sergeant who leads a team in a large city.

Meaningless platitudes aside, there are many officers I would not trust with a can of pepper spray never mind a gun.

The training armed officers go through is beyond thorough. The firearms licensing officer I deal with is ex met SFO. Super chap, says it’s nice to see people who are pleased to see him rather than run away from him. You’d think running away from a SFO was about the most stupid thing any human being could possibly do.

If an unarmed member of your family had been shot by police I'm not sure you would be so sanguine about it.As it is the family are being told the investigation could take 6-9 months.
In initial reports in the press it said an officer had been suspended for gross misconduct,this wasn't repeated.
In a previous fatal shooting firearms experts questioned police tactics saying they inevitably led to confrontation.
The family just want the truth of what happened to their son.

If an unarmed member of your family had been shot by police I'm not sure you would be so sanguine about it.As it is the family are being told the investigation could take 6-9 months.
In initial reports in the press it said an officer had been suspended for gross misconduct,this wasn't repeated.
In a previous fatal shooting firearms experts questioned police tactics saying they inevitably led to confrontation.
The family just want the truth of what happened to their son.
I suspect that Andrew C knows a bloody sight more than you or I do about carrying a weapon and police work, but crack on.

The training armed officers go through is beyond thorough. The firearms licensing officer I deal with is ex met SFO. Super chap, says it’s nice to see people who are pleased to see him rather than run away from him. You’d think running away from a SFO was about the most stupid thing any human being could possibly do.
Priceless! You parody yourself...

I suspect that Andrew C knows a bloody sight more than you or I do about carrying a weapon and police work, but crack on.
I suspect that the families of Chris Kaba, or Oladeji Omishore or Jermaine Baker or Azelle Rodney or Mark Duggan or Jean Charles De Menezes, or many others know a bloody sight more about having a loved one shot dead by the police, but crack on.

Last edited:
I suspect that the families of Chris Kaaba, or Oladeji Omishore or Jermaine Baker or Azelle Rodney or Mark Duggan or Jean Charles De Menezes, or many others know a bloody sight more about having a loved one shot dead by the police, but crack on.
They do, but none of them are you or me. Fortunately. Which brings me back to what I said.

Why would mods moderate or delete this post?
Because this forum comes over as very binary to some of us, e.g. all Tories are fascists, all police officers are racist bullies etc. The truth with anything in life is there are always extremes and always middle ground but in all my years on the planet I am yet to be convinced anything like this has a simple explanation or answer.

Without doubt the Met police have a huge problem in several regards, but I refuse to believe that every serving officer is intrinsically bad and I also won’t accept that nothing needs to be done differently as they have had these problems for decades so clearly change is needed.

However, while I welcome the calls for change I am yet to see many on this thread or others on pfm criticising the police offer any answers. It’s not surprising as any solution is going to be extremely complex and will take a very long time as culture change always does, and I, for one, will be honest and say I don’t know how it can be achieved (realistically).

I am yet to be convinced anything like this has a simple explanation or answer…

However, while I welcome the calls for change I am yet to see many on this thread or others on pfm criticising the police offer any answers.
How about the police stop shooting dead unarmed black men? That would be a start.

advertisement

Back