advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

The whole thing of interpreting a criticism of the police as a criticism of *the country* - it’s either coming from a place of extreme nationalism or of racism. I can’t see any other options.
......or he could have a large financial interest in law enforcement PPE.

Seems some useful idiots can't understand it's possible to both recognise we need the Police and condemn their shooting dead of an unarmed black man.

As a religious person once told me, the only way that a justice system ever stands a chance of being fair is if nobody ever breaks the law. And that means everybody, not just you as an individual.

Perhaps city kids need training at school in how to respond to orders from armed police.
All city kids or just some of them? And do you presume this latest dead black person did not respond to orders?

If we are an ethnic minority in the UK, would we feel safe when confronted by UK police. I suspect the answer would be no.

Systemic racism within the UK police force is yet to be proven but i suspect it exists, due to years of systematic racism in society.

The UK is basically a racist country, though growing up through the 70's a kid i can say that things have moved forward somewhat, but there is a long way to go.

Ethnic minorities are more prone to living in areas of poverty where gang crime exists & this plays a part in policing, for obvious reasons, so when faced with a black face, officers most probably go into fight or flight mode & because they are trained to fight, act instinctively when faced with what they believe to be an immediate threat.

Currently no answer to it & when someone is fatally shot systemic racism within the UK police force & society in general rears its ugly head, for good reason.

On the subject of police stats and use of force, the following is interesting, the use of CEDs or tasers in the year 20/21. It appears that 3284 people were tasered, but there were 2432 incidents where a taser was drawn, but is not recorded if it was discharged or not. Surely we should know if these 2432 people were tasered or not?

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...cs-england-and-wales-april-2020-to-march-2021

ced-stats.jpg

On the subject of police stats and use of force, the following is interesting, the use of CEDs or tasers in the year 20/21. It appears that 3284 people were tasered, but there were 2432 incidents where a taser was drawn, but is not recorded if it was discharged or not. Surely we should know if these 2432 people were tasered or not?

Use of taser includes the need to draw it, not just then if it is necessarily 'discharged'. The implied and deliberate threat of use of taser can be enough to de-escalate a situ. Another example is if I drew (but did not use) my Asp friction lock baton to de-escalate a situ with a suspect, that would necessitate submission of paperwork to justify this.

If you read the police use of force policy, the two different uses of taser are covered within the need to record their deployment in this way.

I was never tasar trained, but I was an officer safety trainer for some 20 years. I trained CS, various batons, UDT and use of Speedcuffs. I have been in violent situations where I deployed all of these tactics.

Use of taser includes the need to draw it, not just then if it is necessarily 'discharged'. The implied and deliberate threat of use of taser can be enough to de-escalate a situ. Another example is if I drew (but did not use) my Asp friction lock baton to de-escalate a situ with a suspect, that would necessitate submission of paperwork to justify this.

If you read the police use of force policy, the two different uses of taser are covered within the need to record their deployment in this way.

I was never tasar trained, but I was an officer safety trainer for some 20 years. I trained CS, various batons, UDT and use of Speedcuffs. I have been in violent situations where I deployed all of these tactics.

You must have met a few unsavoury characters
in your day,suspects as well.;)

Yes, and there were 28713 instances of that. My point being that there were 2432 instances where a Taser was deployed, but whether it was discharged or not was not recorded. The recording of the use of these very painful devices seems a tad slipshod.

Yes, and there were 28713 instances of that. My point being that there were 2432 instances where a Taser was deployed, but whether it was discharged or not was not recorded. The recording of the use of these very painful devices seems a tad slipshod.

I disagree. One figure is for drawn and not used. The other is for drawn and used. That’s how the use of them is recorded. You draw it and either use it or don’t, but once you’ve drawn it, that fact is subject of relevant admin and paperwork.

I disagree. One figure is for drawn and not used. The other is for drawn and used. That’s how the use of them is recorded. You draw it and either use it or don’t, but once you’ve drawn it, that fact is subject of relevant admin and paperwork.

I know, but the total comprises 3 figures, not 2.

'CED Discharged', 'CED Not discharged' and 'CED not stated'

'CED not stated' is exactly that - in addition to instances where Tasers were drawn and not used or drawn and discharged there were additional instances where it was drawn but whether it was discharged or not was not recorded by the responsible officer. That's 2413 times in one year where no one knows if someone did or didn't have 50,000 volts put through them by a public servant. And 129 of those instances involved 11-17 year olds. That's insane.

It would not be difficult to pin individual forces down to account for that discrepancy. Why not submit a data subject request?

advertisement

Back