advertisement

MDAC first listen thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
John,

I just wanted to mention that I had the same problem with ALL THREE CDQ samples I had at home...

Pawel

Same problem - different reasons, on the CD / CDQ the chassis twists diagonally during shipping... you need to place it on a flat solid surface and just "force it" back into shape...

On the MDAC, the Chassis is SOLID!! no way its going to twist anywhere!

Hi Edward,

Thank you for the valued feedback:

Your the second person to pass comment about the feet not being level - the Chassis going to be flat, so the issue can only be the height of the rubber feet. I'm in China next week, so I'll take a closer look and file a QC report. I'll also grab a handfull of "rubber feet" and can post these out when I return to Europe to replace any "wonky" feet.

We will add a "Display-Off / Auto Dimming option" on the next software build. The hardware does have an ambient light sensor fitted (below the IR sensor on the front panel) - but enabling the feature has been put on a back burner while we concentrate our efforts on other software features.

I'll ask Dominik to see if we can improve the Bit perfect testing routine - and investigate 96kHz testing on the MAC.

We will try to enable control of the CD/CDQ via the MDAC RC handset and IR Bus link (will need an extra cable).
Thanks for the prompt feedback, John. The MDAC/CDQ link would be a useful option for me as I love the wand remote and it would curt down on handsets - display off also would be good, though, as I said, the MDAC is a lot more informative and attractive than many displays so it's no biggie.

Seriously, I'm struggling to find negatives right now. I'm playing 'Tried and True' (Suzanne Vega compilation) and the retrieval of detail is outstanding with little obvious downside in terms of stereo imaging or depth of sound field. I'm a vinyl-freak, at bottom, so I think I maybe I have a different attitude towards DACs in the sense that the build quality, functionality and reliability are almost as important as the out and out SQ. In response to those who find the sound detailed, but thin, it might be that those of lucky enough to have some valves in the chain - or warm sounding speaker - get the best deal with the MDAC. Just a hunch.

As I said above, very impressed so far, which is use as well as by quirk I ended up with two units! Cheers / Edward

So I am very happy with my MDAC,

I really like the look of it with its small footprint and large screen, the build quality is excellent, and I have been enjoying music I haven't listened to in a long time all over again on it over the past few days.

I did wonder why it seemed to make a beeping noise every time I pressed a button on the remote though as it became a little bothersome when cycling though option screens, or adjusting the volume, and was going to ask if this 'feature' could be turned off. I then noticed that not only did my speakers make this beeping noise when using the MDAC remote but also every other remote I have, so my hifi beeps when I browsing through my TV's programme guide.

It is definitely emanating from the MDAC, as it stops as soon as I cover its infra-red sensor window next to its screen. Do I have a faulty unit, is it system related, or is this really a 'feature' to alert me every time someone sends an infra-red command in the MDAC vicinity?

Cheers!

There seem to be a reasonably difference between the filters, I'm using Optimal Transient DD (no doubt good for listening to Dolly Parton) and D3E full suppression.
Its got still got a bit of time before its run in.

Hi John,

I collected my MDAC today. Wasn't sure what to expect, as all the demos I've heard of digital sources to date have revealed only subtle differences, in contrast to speakers for example. I've had the MDAC on for 6 hours plus 2 hours listening and to my ears there's no subtlety about this - it sounds superb! Loads of detail, voices sound 'in the room'. Brilliant piece of work John& Dominik!

Positives: the SQ is outstanding; value for money, inputs, processing options are all excellent; digital diagnostics unique in a DAC to my knowledge.
Negatives: the transformer is quite substantial, but the PSU connection has very fine pins so there could be a danger of these getting bent or broken. My unit also was sitting unevenly, however it seems fine now - not sure why as they seem to be solid rubber, unless they weren't pressed against the chassis. Also the USB connector doesn't seat all the way in. This doesn't seem to cause a problem with the signal connection, just feels a bit loose.

I don't understand the 2 reports of SQ good in parts but 'dry sound' - my unit produces music that sounds 'real'. Favourite albums so far are Ray La Montagne God Willing & the Creek Don't Rise, Ben Harper Fight for your Mind.

Overall I'd strongly recommend anyone swithering to give the MDAC a listen.

Finally a question for John/Dominik. The manual says to expect the input buffer to average around 50% full however mine jumps between 25 and 60%. So I played with the buffer setting in Foobar: initially 1000 ms, I found >2000 ms or <250 music stops altogether, around 400 ms the MDAC buffer indicator improves a little, maybe 35% - 60%. Any recommendations? BTW putting a few ticks on the bar display would be helpful.

Thanks for a brilliant piece of engineering!

JohnW - what does the D3E front panel indicator actually mean? It's mostly on, but sometimes goes off, entirely consistently with certain material?

D3E is set to "full suppression".

Thanks.

The manual says to expect the input buffer to average around 50% full however mine jumps between 25 and 60%. So I played with the buffer setting in Foobar
What "grade" of PC power are you using (i.e. netbook or supercomputer)?

Which OS?

Which audio interface (i.e. WASAPI, ASIO etc.)?

So I am very happy with my MDAC,

I really like the look of it with its small footprint and large screen, the build quality is excellent, and I have been enjoying music I haven't listened to in a long time all over again on it over the past few days.

I did wonder why it seemed to make a beeping noise every time I pressed a button on the remote though as it became a little bothersome when cycling though option screens, or adjusting the volume, and was going to ask if this 'feature' could be turned off. I then noticed that not only did my speakers make this beeping noise when using the MDAC remote but also every other remote I have, so my hifi beeps when I browsing through my TV's programme guide.

It is definitely emanating from the MDAC, as it stops as soon as I cover its infra-red sensor window next to its screen. Do I have a faulty unit, is it system related, or is this really a 'feature' to alert me every time someone sends an infra-red command in the MDAC vicinity?

Cheers!

Now this is one for the books - I cannot understand how your unit is "Bleeping" its sure not by design!!!

I cannot even think of a mechanism that could make a bleeping sound from the MDAC. If your unit is bleeping, then its for sure faulty - but I just cannot understand HOW!!! - I'm VERY sorry for this issue - I truly have no idea what it can be...

You don't have anything connected to the rear panel IR loop connectors?

JohnW - what does the D3E front panel indicator actually mean? It's mostly on, but sometimes goes off, entirely consistently with certain material?

D3E is set to "full suppression".

Thanks.

D3E is only active with source material lessthen 24bits - it will not be inactive with 24Bit data.

The manual says to expect the input buffer to average around 50% full however mine jumps between 25 and 60%. So I played with the buffer setting in Foobar: initially 1000 ms, I found >2000 ms or <250 music stops altogether, around 400 ms the MDAC buffer indicator improves a little, maybe 35% - 60%. Any recommendations? BTW putting a few ticks on the bar display would be helpful.

Hi jamjar,

You don't say what operating system your using, but really the buffer should only "wiggle" about the 50% mark - which tends to suggest your computer having a hard time keeping up with streaming to the DAC.

I've a Sony laptop from 2001 using XP and its a happy bunny at 50%... maybe 45% to 55% max...

What machine are you using - what processor? if its an ATOM laptop then...

Did you check your PC's "power settings", Windows power management tries to ramp the processor speed down all the time to preserve Battery life - if you try setting for Max performance (Desk Top)

John

Picked up the MDAC on thursday evening but not been able to listen till this evening. Have been rediscovering some old stuff and just generally enjoying myself. Favourite 'oldie' so far (listening again now) A secret wish - Propaganda.

Pro
Sound
Using USB from an old iMac. Detailed presentation with lots of space around the different instruments in a mix. Particularly enjoying headphone listening.
Also enjoyed amp/speakers too, only used at around - 40 db so far. Not sure about taking it up to -15 to 20db as John recommended - think our neighbours would be round pd quickly!
Bass seems fine - tight and well defined - think my room is simply too small for it to be anything better than that.
Bit of sibilance at times but since it seems less prominent on my phones then i'm putting it down to the amp/speakers.

Other
Display is as good as I hoped - crystal clear & good enough to read from across the room. If there was some way to read the tag info from the Mac across the USB interface that would just be the icing on the cake!
Remote - simple and elegant with access to the key functions. Enjoy the ability to control the player (VLC), skipping back and forwards in a playlist and have even used the balance control to good effect - was sitting off to the side at the desk earlier!
Filters - dont really know how much of a pro to be fair, as I haven't done any real evaluation - but will have a proper play later.

Con
Sound
Nothing really - only the sibilance, but as I mentioned an amp/speaker upgrade some time in the new year will hopefully address this one.

Other
Had assumed the remote would be silver to match the silver unit - I have a black one - can other silver owners confirm?

The only thing that is actually bothering me, in what is definitely a keeper, is to do with the balanced output for the right channel. The connector isn't seated flushly in the chassis - the top is 'pushed in' to the chassis by a few mm. Suspect it might prevent some cables engaging properly. I know it will niggle at me so i'd like to get it addressed, but thing is - knowing how few there are in the country and not wanting to be without for a few more months, i'm not sure the best path to take. Think I'll contact Bartletts and assuming they haven't got stock to spare, see if we can agree on me holding onto this unit and then sorting a replacement once stock stabilises. I'd appreciate peoples views on this point tho pls.

I think you'd benefit from some attenuators there. -40dB is low enough to lose some information I think.

ah ok - I've actually had it as low as -60db which is by no means whisper quiet btw.

MDAC is connected to my old A400 for now. Was advised to turn volume up full as this was as close as I could get to taking the pre amp section out of the equation.

Picked up the MDAC on thursday evening but not been able to listen till this evening. Have been rediscovering some old stuff and just generally enjoying myself. Favourite 'oldie' so far (listening again now) A secret wish - Propaganda.

Pro
Sound
Using USB from an old iMac. Detailed presentation with lots of space around the different instruments in a mix. Particularly enjoying headphone listening.
Also enjoyed amp/speakers too, only used at around - 40 db so far. Not sure about taking it up to -15 to 20db as John recommended - think our neighbours would be round pd quickly!
Bass seems fine - tight and well defined - think my room is simply too small for it to be anything better than that.
Bit of sibilance at times but since it seems less prominent on my phones then i'm putting it down to the amp/speakers.

Other
Display is as good as I hoped - crystal clear & good enough to read from across the room. If there was some way to read the tag info from the Mac across the USB interface that would just be the icing on the cake!
Remote - simple and elegant with access to the key functions. Enjoy the ability to control the player (VLC), skipping back and forwards in a playlist and have even used the balance control to good effect - was sitting off to the side at the desk earlier!
Filters - dont really know how much of a pro to be fair, as I haven't done any real evaluation - but will have a proper play later.

Con
Sound
Nothing really - only the sibilance, but as I mentioned an amp/speaker upgrade some time in the new year will hopefully address this one.

Other
Had assumed the remote would be silver to match the silver unit - I have a black one - can other silver owners confirm?

The only thing that is actually bothering me, in what is definitely a keeper, is to do with the balanced output for the right channel. The connector isn't seated flushly in the chassis - the top is 'pushed in' to the chassis by a few mm. Suspect it might prevent some cables engaging properly. I know it will niggle at me so i'd like to get it addressed, but thing is - knowing how few there are in the country and not wanting to be without for a few more months, i'm not sure the best path to take. Think I'll contact Bartletts and assuming they haven't got stock to spare, see if we can agree on me holding onto this unit and then sorting a replacement once stock stabilises. I'd appreciate peoples views on this point tho pls.
I have a silver unit and it has a black remote - the unit I heard at an open day also had the same remote. I just checked the XLR sockets at the back of my MDAC. They are identical on mine and a secure connection results for both channels - with the usual slight play on vertical and horizontal axes. The connection is better than average I'd say. I guess you have checked with two sets of leads? I'm using el cheapo Farnell-CPC cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back