advertisement

MDAC first listen thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The steps don't sound tiny in my system. I'm using a SAC KT88 Glowmaster power amp and some Revolver RW45 speakers. The front end is a Cyrus CDXTSE transport going into a Tact RCS2.0S set to it's unity gain level before the M-DAC. The Tact has steps of 0.1dB so it could be just what I'm used to... but I'm only able to use about 5 steps on the M-DAC (around -20 to -15).

I'm planning on making a switch box to take inputs from the M-DAC an my phono stage, maybe I could buy a 3 or 4 way switch and add some attenuation???

Hi Mannish,

I'm struggling to understand the problem.

It's not that your system is too sensitive, you’re listening at around -15dB to -20dB, which is about ideal (not too much Digital attenuation) - this would suggest you have fairly normal gain in your system.

As sq225917 commented 1dB steps are small, you would struggle to accurately set a 1dB change on a normal analogue volume control.

Adding attenuators will only "reduce the volume level" - but not change the dB step size.

Are you really saying that 1dB step is Massive - it’s generally considered that 1dB is about the smallest recognisable volume change you can hear.

Does anyone else find the step size to large?

If we where to reduce the step size, we would have 2 issues.

1. It would take forever to change to volume level (and we would get panned by reviewers for "needless" volume control accuracy).

2. We would have to re-arrange the display to accommodate the extra digits the "point" and the last "digit".

If it’s a consensus that the step size is too large we will change - but I think it would cause more upset then solve... but I'm eagre and happy for comments :)

I’ll talk with Dominik (he’s the one that’s going to give me grief about the display formatting change), maybe we can add a “Normal” and “Fine” Volume control option in the Menu to keep all parties happy – but we would need to look into the display formatting first.

Its not that I mind to add the option for you, it’s just a problem if we have to rearrange the Display to make space available for the extra digits - this might end-up compressing the screen area, and then we would also need to redo all the screen shoots for the user manual.

But - maybe we can do a special software version just for you (and anyone else who needs 0.1dB step change) :)

John

Are you really saying that 1dB step is Massive - it’s generally considered that 1dB is about the smallest recognisable volume change you can hear.

Does anyone else find the step size to large?

John

No. it's a smaller step than on my old pre-amp (AudioLab 8000s). Volume control is pretty much perfect as far as I am concerned.

Derek

It may be the output from the Tact that's too high as I have noticed that the M-DAC's peak meter is constantly bouncing at the max level with some CDs...

No, with most modern "Pop" recordings these days the level meters are pegged to 0dB most of the time...

I don't think your issue is with the "level" but just the step size, which would be the same for any recording level... that’s why attenuators would not help -they would just reduce by a fixed level - but not change the step size.

Hi John,

I must have super sensative hearing then!

No it's not massive. I'm just used to the fiddly buttons on the Tact, which if anything takes too long to change the volume.

Any chages to the M-DAC would be up to you I can live with it as it is. But if you did do it maybe you could have it as an option and you wouldn't need to add anything to the display just have say a couple of button pushes between each volume setting...

I've been trying the different output frequencies of the Tact (44, 48, 88, 96 & 192) and I have been getting that same glitch as before with the M-DAC not locking on to the 192 signal. Not sure if this is the Tact or the M-DAC though. I think the internal processing of the Tact is all 24/96, what would be the best input for the M-DAC?

Step size is fine here.

if the TACT is as you claim at unity gain then it isn't that either, noit unless they have seriously f-ed up.

Are you using the TACT to provide digital room correction? Id you are then those filters could be seriously jigging the output level across the frequency band. Try bypassing the TACT, just Cyrus to mdac and let us know the result.

Hi John,

I must have super sensative hearing then!

No it's not massive. I'm just used to the fiddly buttons on the Tact, which if anything takes too long to change the volume.

Any changes to the M-DAC would be up to you I can live with it as it is. But if you did do it maybe you could have it as an option and you wouldn't need to add anything to the display just have say a couple of button pushes between each volume setting...

I've been trying the different output frequencies of the Tact (44, 48, 88, 96 & 192) and I have been getting that same glitch as before with the M-DAC not locking on to the 192 signal. Not sure if this is the Tact or the M-DAC though. I think the internal processing of the Tact is all 24/96, what would be the best input for the M-DAC?

I guess your using Coax inputs, as the Optical and USB inputs are only rated to 96kHz.

If the Tact processes at 24/96 then that's the best option to output to the MDAC – as this will be the least processed Digital signal.

What is the Tact - is it there Room EQ system?

Hi Mark,

The MDAC will sound exactly the same in DAC and DAC-Pre mode (the Circuit remains the same, just Gain control is performed in the Digital domain).

The advantage of using the MDAC in DAC-Pre mode is that you can remove an extra component in your signal path, the extra Pre-amplifier.

I'm not sure what "Home theatre bypass" does on the Krell it might just function as a "normal" but with its Volume Control (Gain) fixed to 0dB, the signal still goes though the preamplifier as before, but with fixed volume level - Or it could really be a "bypass" and the input signal is routed directly to the output, which would be great, as this would remove the Krell from the signal path.

I suspect the first option; the Krell's Volume level is just "Fixed".

I suggest just to remove the Krell temporally, and listen to the MDAC connected directly to your power amplifiers - then you can judge which options the best.

The HQ PSU with AV switch box will allow you to bypass the Krell.

I strongly recommend you try connecting the MDAC directly to your power amps (and remove the Krell from the signal path)!

John

Hi John.

They call the theatre mode a throughput mode and a unity gain mode. Does not mention the pre is bypassed though so I think you are probably right.
The amp is integrated and has no power amp input (has a pre out) so I can't feed it direct.

I suppose the question now is will digital gain sound better than analogue. I seem to remember from digital recording ( I have my own home studio) that taking the digital volume down caused quantise distortion. Is that right or am I off track :confused:

Cheers

Thanks for all your valuable contributions here and in the DIY forums. I have some questions about the MDAC, hope you don't mind.

1) Besides the all new CROSS i/v (is this the current dumping circuit you briefly mentioned somewhere?), are there any other differences in the DAC section of the 8200 CD and MDAC, or is it exactly the same? Because i seem to get this feeling like the MDAC is the DAC section of the 8200, just with a new i/v stage. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The CROSS output stage is not a current dumping stage - Current Dumping is reserved for power amplifiers.

Current Regulated Output Stage Solution is a circuit solution I designed to regulated the Bias current in an A/B output stage - But as our output stage operates in full Class A - there's is no need for Current regulation in the MDAC OPS, however a secondary effect of CROSS is to reduced the output stage impedance and greater open loop linearity - which is beneficial.

MDAC has a very different Digital signal path - optimised for external "DAC" operation - so its more "DAC" then CD.

This includes dual cascaded DPLL's to attenuate the input Jitter before the final ESS ASRC attenuation stage. There's also a small Micro based DSP used to analyse the Data stream for bit depth analysis, XP LSB correction, Bit Perfect test and the D3E.

2) Regarding CROSS, full discrete = no op amps used for i/v stage at all?

CROSS is just an "Output stage solution" it can be used with an OPAMP input stage or a fully discrete input stage - MDAC uses a fully discrete JFET based input stage, fed to CROSS. There are no OPAMP’s in the Analogue output stage – it’s a fully discrete design.

Heavily degenerated, Bootstrapped Cascoded JFETS are used in the input DIFF pair to minimise RF rectification / demodulation of the DAC’s RF products.

We don’t use the ESS DAC in current output mode (I/V), but rather in Voltage mode as this allows us to use passive LPF before the RF sensitive analogue stage.

With current mode (I/V) you cannot pre-filter the DAC’s RF energy – this results in a “Hardness” and “Brightness” to the SQ.

The only positions OPAMP’s are used are for the “discrete” Low noise regulator stages.

3) I understand the sabre is very sensitive to the quality of the PSU and clocks used. How well do the regulators and clocks measure? According to the specs, the MDAC has less filtering and regulation than the 8200. Is this strictly due to the smaller chassis or was it not necessary to have as much regulation in the MDAC? During your testing, was the use of a wall wart really detrimental to measurements?

Yes, the ESS DAC is very sensitive to its PSU arrangements. The MDAC does not have less regulation around the DAC section – the only reason on the whole it has less regulators compared to the CD / CDQ is because the extra regulators are used within the CD / Servo sections (circuits which obviously the MDAC does not contain).

The MDAC does have less PSU filtering due to space limitations within the smaller chassis, however the reduced capacitance is associated with the Bulk Capacitors after the AC rectification stage. When the MDAC is used with an external PSU (we will be releasing a HQ low noise DC PSU compatible with the MDAC) – the missing Bulk capacitance will be restored / and increased upon.

The measurements where restricted LF noise on the LAB bench in China – there’s a huge amount of LF noise on the China AC mains supply (my Lab was based in the factory complex at the time). This LF noise causes all sorts or Ground currents to flow around the test bench and even magnetically induced. AC related artefact’s are below -135dB – so very low. I don’t recall much difference between using the MDAC’s AC supply or the bench supply, I don’t really pay attention as the levels are so inherently low, there was nothing to be concerned about.

The MDAC PSU is not a “Wall Wart” but an inline transformer with separated AC supply connections to Digital and Analogue sections.

Sonically, I believe that the MDAC can be improved with an external low Noise, low Impedance DC supply :)

Our Clock circuit is a discrete low noise 5th overtone oscillator – optimised for best short-term phase noise over longer term accuracy (Drift).

The High Q of a 5th Overtone oscillator and higher current’s within the Discrete circuit achieve good short term phase noise. We measured at the DAC Xout pin 1.6pS Random noise integrated over 10kHz to 40MHz and a single spurie at 800fS (0.8pS) somewhere around 30MHz… so extremely good jitter performance – remember this is measured at the DAC’s Xout – so includes atleast some of the DAC’s substrate noise.

4) Are there any coupling caps in the i/v ?

DC coupled throughout!!! – across my dead body will there be any AC coupling capacitors!!! DC Offset is trimmed on the production line.

Asking all these questions because i had a diy sabre project but i scrapped it and am considering the mdac.

Given the plethora of sabre dacs that are on the market right now, what would you say is the main difference, technically-speaking and in the implementation, that sets the mdac apart from the rest? From your numerous posts in diyhifi and DiyAudio, it's clear you really know what you're doing, so an in-depth technical reply would be nice. Thanks :)

Everything about our design – from the cascaded Digital Jitter attenuation stages, our own Digital filters, D3E decorrelator, isolated time domains, high performance clock, multiple ultra low noise PSU's, CROSS analogue stages and Async USB etc...

Hi John.

They call the theatre mode a throughput mode and a unity gain mode. Does not mention the pre is bypassed though so I think you are probably right.
The amp is integrated and has no power amp input (has a pre out) so I can't feed it direct.

I suppose the question now is will digital gain sound better than analogue. I seem to remember from digital recording ( I have my own home studio) that taking the digital volume down caused quantise distortion. Is that right or am I off track :confused:

Cheers

That's the question, which is going to be better - Digital or Analogue Gain control - and I leave that to you to decide as every system will be different.

I guess I would say that the Digital Gain control will be better then a cheaper analogue pre-amplifier.

In our Lab system, we find that the Digital Pre mode works better then a passive pre-amplifier (Alps Blue Pot on a lead).

Your valve pre-amp may be holding transparency back, but if you're enjoying the sound then there's no need to change things!

Actually its amazingly transparent, didn't realise quite how much until i had the Opals, bit it does add a bit of its own er... something though! and works good with the DM.

Early days for the MDAC yet, on Optimal Spectrum (calling Captain Scarlett!) setting at the moment running strait to the poweramps (no pre in the loop).
What filter settings are people using?

Optimal Transient XD - but them I'm the guy who drove 80,000km before I tried sport's mode in my car...

Insure D3E is set to Full suppression

Picked my MDAC up earlier in the week. Been experimenting with it today. Impressed with the SQ so far - e.g. makes you want to listen to albums all the way through rather than jump tracks obsessively. I suppose you could call it a very clean, detailed, cohesive, sort of sound. But too early to make a full report or final judgement except to say that putting the SQ and features together it's already obvious the MDAC represents excellent VFM. Obviously, it's only one part of an entire system so I wouldn't want to overdo the impact of the MDAC out of context of the other links in the chain.

So, as a first contribution to the first listen thread, my comments are:

+ Sound quality, finish, display, iTunes integration (remote can shift tracks up and down e.g.), excellent remote, menus are fun, and bewildering array of options and tweaks, finally the packaging is great also.

- Very minor so far: the feet are a little uneven, DAC mode is a little hard to trigger, (mine refused to go on before I set volume to 0db - not in manual), minor niggles with bit perfect test (display also overwrites the input name with 'passing' or 'failing' which is a bit naff), would have been nice for remote to control basics of Audiolab CDP/CDQ, basic wall wart-esque power supply.

System: Audiolab 8200 CDQ / Coaxial / MDAC / Eastern Electric M88 Integrated / XTZ 99.25 Speakers

Music: Veronica Maggio (CD/Apple Lossless) / Suzanne Vega (CD)

Other comments: (1) I'm finding the CDQ/MDAC/Coaxial combination edges the Macbook Pro/MDAC/USB combination, though the latter is very nice (2) tested two CDPs so far and achieved bit perfect passes with a CD-burned copy of the Audiolab test track - ditto with the test track through iTunes (3) not had any joy with the 24/96 bit perfect test, e.g. through iTunes, MDAC just keeps 'waiting for trigger' (4) others have said they'd like a display off option and I agree - I would add, though, that as the MDAC very usefully gives you track number and timing on its display, you can turn off the slave transport display, which is quite cool.

Picked my MDAC up earlier in the week. Been experimenting with it today. Impressed with the SQ so far - e.g. makes you want to listen to albums all the way through rather than jump tracks obsessively. I suppose you could call it a very clean, detailed, cohesive, sort of sound. But too early to make a full report or final judgement except to say that putting the SQ and features together it's already obvious the MDAC represents excellent VFM. Obviously, it's only one part of an entire system so I wouldn't want to overdo the impact of the MDAC out of context of the other links in the chain.

So, as a first contribution to the first listen thread, my comments are:

+ Sound quality, finish, display, iTunes integration (remote can shift tracks up and down e.g.), excellent remote, menus are fun, and bewildering array of options and tweaks, finally the packaging is great also.

- Very minor so far: the feet are a little uneven, DAC mode is a little hard to trigger, (mine refused to go on before I set volume to 0db - not in manual), minor niggles with bit perfect test (display also overwrites the input name with 'passing' or 'failing' which is a bit naff), would have been nice for remote to control basics of Audiolab CDP/CDQ, basic wall wart-esque power supply.

System: Audiolab 8200 CDQ / Coaxial / MDAC / Eastern Electric M88 Integrated / XTZ 99.25 Speakers

Music: Veronica Maggio (CD/Apple Lossless) / Suzanne Vega (CD)

Other comments: (1) I'm finding the CDQ/MDAC/Coaxial combination edges the Macbook Pro/MDAC/USB combination, though the latter is very nice (2) tested two CDPs so far and achieved bit perfect passes with a CD-burned copy of the Audiolab test track - ditto with the test track through iTunes (3) not had any joy with the 24/96 bit perfect test, e.g. through iTunes, MDAC just keeps 'waiting for trigger' (4) others have said they'd like a display off option and I agree - I would add, though, that as the MDAC very usefully gives you track number and timing on its display, you can turn off the slave transport display, which is quite cool.

Hi Edward,

Thank you for the valued feedback:

Your the second person to pass comment about the feet not being level - the Chassis going to be flat, so the issue can only be the height of the rubber feet. I'm in China next week, so I'll take a closer look and file a QC report. I'll also grab a handfull of "rubber feet" and can post these out when I return to Europe to replace any "wonky" feet.

We will add a "Display-Off / Auto Dimming option" on the next software build. The hardware does have an ambient light sensor fitted (below the IR sensor on the front panel) - but enabling the feature has been put on a back burner while we concentrate our efforts on other software features.

I'll ask Dominik to see if we can improve the Bit perfect testing routine - and investigate 96kHz testing on the MAC, and also look into the DAC / DAC-Pre mode selection.

We will try to enable control of the CD/CDQ via the MDAC RC handset and IR Bus link (will need an extra cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back