advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ops...No reply...Anyone could help me please?
May I partecipate to this project ordering a mdac2 even if I haven't got one yet?
I mean...can I ask John to include me specifying that I need the old mdac too?
Thank you ;)

Carloica, johns super busy with design and new lab construction, he'll answer eventually, just sit tight.

You missed a zero after the 2 and before the K. I ain't joking.

Although I did manage to replace the tweeter in my CM8s that the cat broke last week, I don't think my electronic skills are up to building my own amp. Really looking for something that sells frequently, is a few years old with balanced inputs, but I think this is quite hard to find.

If that proves too hard I have spied a Creek Destiny 2 Integrated ex demo going for a healthy discount.

Although I did manage to replace the tweeter in my CM8s that the cat broke last week, I don't think my electronic skills are up to building my own amp. Really looking for something that sells frequently, is a few years old with balanced inputs, but I think this is quite hard to find.

If that proves too hard I have spied a Creek Destiny 2 Integrated ex demo going for a healthy discount.

I looked seriously at the Meridian 557 at around £700 to £800 second hand, but decided that a fifteen year old amp could be in danger of a re-cap costing another £300. There's one on eBay now £699. You would still get your money back probably.

Couple of quad 99's at £375 also on eBay.

I know a favorite in here are the quad 606 , I think there is a particular model , but not sure. Some do them can look really tatty IMHO.

***edit These look interesting
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthrea...of-Unison-Research-Unico-DM-hybrid-monoblocks

Also Primare A31.5 power amp. Not familiar with this one build quality should be good, but their designs blow hot and cold and I,m nots ure of this is one of the good ones. seen one at £799

I,ve gambled on a pair of audiolab 8200 mono blocks ( a favorite of JW :p )which I managed to pick up for 1k , so hopefully will not lose when I re sell.

Believe me it really don't require any electronic skills to build your own Hypex ncore amp. It consist of one PSU module and one amp module. It is a matter of connecting the wires and put them in a case. You only need to solder the XLR/RCA inputs. In my system they replaced a set of monos costing £5000 and they are much better. I now have 2xdual mono still for half the price of the old amps.

ops...No reply...Anyone could help me please?
May I partecipate to this project ordering a mdac2 even if I haven't got one yet?
I mean...can I ask John to include me specifying that I need the old mdac too?
Thank you ;)

You need an original MDAC.
MDAC2 is a new DAC, but only the board. It will need the original MDAC case.
Your options:

1 - Buy a new one and use it until the upgrade
2 - Buy a second hand unit and use it until the upgrade
3 - Try to buy a Salvaged unit from John and wait for the upgrade

Salvaged units are new, defective units from audiolab.

In my opinion, option 3 is not so good because:

- You have to pay upfront and you don't get to use the DAC
- It's not that much cheap despite being a salvage unit (around £350 if I'm not mistaken)
- You may, or may not get a salvaged unit (limited number available)

More info here: http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

Michael

Believe me it really don't require any electronic skills to build your own Hypex ncore amp. It consist of one PSU module and one amp module. It is a matter of connecting the wires and put them in a case. You only need to solder the XLR/RCA inputs. In my system they replaced a set of monos costing £5000 and they are much better. I now have 2xdual mono still for half the price of the old amps.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/230945-four-hypex-ncore-nc400-mono-blocks-sell-pairs.html

What do these resell at ?

The nc400 looks like a standard ceiling light fitting lol.

Just a very quick post - don't bother with the creek - you can get a much better Power-amplifier and from previous reports the Creek has High Gain and is thus noisy...

You really want a power amplifier with Balanced inputs.

These look good - you can buy a single unit (Stereo).

This is correct - it barely qualifies as DIY. As regards tha used amps that others have mentioned at sub £1000, it's like comparing a non- league club with a top premier division side.

This is correct - it barely qualifies as DIY. As regards tha used amps that others have mentioned at sub £1000, it's like comparing a non- league club with a top premier division side.

I draw the line at soldering though, sorry I'm just not practical enough and I know it would look bad by the time I will have covered it in solder.

Roksan Caspian Mk1 power amp spotted for £400, no balanced inputs though. Any good?Thought the integrated mk2 was pretty good when I heard it last year. Never heard this one though.

For 2 ncore monos the prices are 325 euros plus vat * 2 plus the power supply's smps600 * 2 at 180 euros each plus shipping

1250 euros so about £1037 and then you,ve got to put them in something so add another £100 .

6 month warranty?

Then there is the resale value to consider if required.

They are getting great reviews with a lot of happy owners , but if JW,s design out performs this class d solution, is there enough of a following that you could easily off load them at no loss?

as a newbie...2 simple questions...where can I download the last firmware ver and the instructions for upload and how to get a mpax supply? (I know everything should be present on the forum but there are really too many pages)
Thank you

For 2 ncore monos the prices are 325 euros plus vat * 2 plus the power supply's smps600 * 2 at 180 euros each plus shipping

1250 euros so about £1037 and then you,ve got to put them in something so add another £100 .

6 month warranty?

They are getting great reviews with a lot of happy owners , but if JW,s design out performs this class d solution, is there enough of a following that you could easily off load them at no loss?

I dont think its 6 months warranty (Hypex are a helpful bunch). As for resale value the last couple of pairs sold for £900 mark which is pretty decent if its not your cup of tea.

6 month warranty?

2 years warranty

available now

Based on the few changing hands at the moment, your 'hifi rental charge' (what you lose when you resell them) seems relatively small. Compare with other second hand prices vs. new

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back