advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the ESS internal volume control be bypassed completely with FPGA?

If yes, would it be possible to have volume control applied to MDAC2 digital output, as an option?

The FPGA Digital volume will be processed with very high bit depth (over 64 bits)... SPDIF only handles 24bit words... so ATM I'm not sure how we would handle this.

Just a note on the MDAC2 Headphone outputs - due to PCB space restrictions, the front headphone Jack will also enable the rear 4W Balanced XLR output.

We can also enable a Long press on say the Remote control Mute button to select the Headphone output (as the rear panel Balanced XLR headphone output is not easily accessible).

I hope this will be OK for Everyone?
Fine by me, .. though it would be nice to have all these hidden controls (like holding the big knob to get balance controls) documented somewhere ...
Somewhere else than a footnote in the MDAC1 manual. :)

Otherwise, we risk having to repeat a lot of things in these long threads.

john...I really would like to try the mdac without a pre and without getting poor...what about coupling it with PRO Amp like yamaha p2500 or any other suggestions please?
Thx

The newer "Silver" Yamaha p2500 Looks like someone's stuck a fancy front panel on a Chinese manufactured amplifier design... I've seen others do the same...

The older Black units look like a real Yamaha designed unit... No proof, only a suspicion.

JW, Ian, Tony, Phil - just wanted to say many thanks for your advice on power amps, very much appreciated. Also Thanks JW for offering to upgrade a Quad for me. It really is a very kind offer but I can't use your valuable time whilst we're eagerly awaiting the Lakewest products, it wouldn't be fair.

I've been in contact with the guy selling the Parasound Halo A21. Sounds very promising plus he only lives 30 miles away so I can actually test it. According to a review I read it has gain controls on the back. Does this mean I have a better chance of matching to the sweet spot on the mdac without using attenuators, or just another process in the signal path to detract from the sq?

Also, the 3 pin XLRs for the balanced outs are the same connectors on microphone leads right? I have bog standard mic leads in my loft, can I use these? Are higher quality XLRs of the same importance as higher quality RCAs, or less or more important?

I have some spare Mark Grant xlr,s if you need ?? drop me a pm :)

Hi John, your inbox is full. I got a pm need to send to you. please clear some space for me or pm your email address. thanks

Two questions, if I may?

1) If a UK friend of mine bought a salvaged DAC off the MDAC2 LakeWest site, when would they get it?

2) When do I make the next couple of installments?

Two questions, if I may?

1) If a UK friend of mine bought a salvaged DAC off the MDAC2 LakeWest site, when would they get it?

2) When do I make the next couple of installments?

1 - I believe the salvaged unit will stay with John until it gets the new MDAC2 board.
I suppose most salvaged units will not be in a proper condition to be used until the board ugprade. That's why they're salvaged.

2 - The next installment will open when stage one is complete. Check this post from JohnW himself. :)

JohnW said:
Our project plan is to ask for the next stage instalment once I've completed the PCB layout of the newly developed Analogue stage. I'm finally "happy" with the computer simulations of the design so can start the PCB design once I've completed a few MDAC upgrades - I'm expecting to have the PCB completed towards the end on November at this stage we open the 2nd instalment order books.

The computer simulations look VERY promising indeed - we are very keen to hear if it "sounds" as good as the numerical results.... I don't hold much faith in measurements as a sonic yard stick.... but the ethos and "struggle" behind the design is for the optimal solution from a sonic perspective sans using tubes... so lets "Listen"

Michael

I will be very interested to hear how you get on and how well the gain adjustment works with the MDAC! (it's a bargain price - must be the n-core affect on the second hand market..)

Yeah if all goes well, I should have a couple of hours on Sunday night to have a listen at home and report back. Thanks again for helping me find this amp!:D

In the spirit of the season: Bah, Humbug...

Have you heard it, Johan?

I haven't, but it sounds at least like an interesting thing to try. Something to do for the FPGA in MDAC2. Plus, of course, the analog decoding of the M/S signal.

Have you heard it, Johan?

I haven't, but it sounds at least like an interesting thing to try. Something to do for the FPGA in MDAC2. Plus, of course, the analog decoding of the M/S signal.

Seeing how much effort has been put into into designing the analog stage of the MDAC and into minimizing parts in the signals path and seeing how much influence parts choice has on sq, I am sure that whatever benefits the principle might bring it will be negated by the addition of the circuit and the parts chosen for its execution.
(and no, haven't heard it nor would I want to)

Hey, that's a nice idea! Take a piece of audiophile-forbidden fruit, like "EQ", embed it in a nice small box and never mention "EQ" or "VST", just that it somehow improves the sound based on "decoding" and "encoding". And people will buy it! :D

For once, this is not foo - equalization brings real improvements when done right, professional sound engineers know this. It just doesn't need to be obfuscated.

I'm sure JohnW (and Dominik) will look into various ways to further improve the sound reproduction using the FPGA array, whether it means trying various new filters or anything else. :)

For once, this is not foo - equalization brings real improvements when done right, professional sound engineers know this. It just doesn't need to be obfuscated.

That applies to EQ you have control over ;)

EQ you don't have control over falls into the "black box" category.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back