advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will rewrite / reformat the old wiki to the new one later today (GMT).

I was kind of wondering - why you keep using these rather small wiki hosting providers instead of ie. Wikia, which is very reliable and pretty much the biggest free wiki hosting site by far?

I've also noticed some downtime on the new wiki hosting, not as bad as on the old one, though.

Dominik sets them up - not sure what the restrictions are with other sites (if any)...

Problem is I'm not sure where the Firmware files are hosted (I have copy's of Windows versions but not the Mac versions)...

Wikia has advertisement banners left right center on every page.

I've copy & pasted the cached version of wikkii.org M-DAC page over to Referata.com, but only did the most basic formatting.

http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

In the first paragraph you are pointed to the cached version of the old wiki and of course all the firmware links will work just fine from there.

I'd appreciate everybody's help in fixing the formatting of the new wiki!

I don't think that's something for this thread or even MDAC2-specific. :)

Summary:
  • Windows will work at 24/96 (UAC1) natively (as far as I know), up to 24/192 (UAC2) and beyond using a custom ASIO driver
  • Linux will work natively up to at least 24/192 (UAC2), probably beyond that (untested)
  • Mac will work natively up to at least 24/192 (UAC2), probably beyond that (untested)

No need to restrict ourselves to specific players, use whatever suits you the best. The interfaces / drivers will be universal with respect to (bitperfect-able) players.

I personally plan to support MDAC2 on Linux (all variants / distros), the amount of support might be however limited by Dominik's / John's time. :)
So you have clarified the os usage.
How about audio players available:
Jriver, Jplay, ITunes, Audirvana, A host of lesser known custom programs such as audiogate, stealth etc...

Someone using these may find it important to know NOW how the mdac2 will react to these configurations, as well as deciding what quality audio files should be collected.
Regards.

Wikia has advertisement banners left right center on every page.

I've copy & pasted the cached version of wikkii.org M-DAC page over to Referata.com, but only did the most basic formatting.

http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

In the first paragraph you are pointed to the cached version of the old wiki and of course all the firmware links will work just fine from there.

I'd appreciate everybody's help in fixing the formatting of the new wiki!
I use an AD blocker for a long time, so I haven't really noticed, sorry.

I fixed some headers, links and tables (semi automatically) and the site timeouted / sent a conn reset on every of my attempts to save the page. Perhaps somebody is deliberately DDoSing the sites we put content on?

I'd say better wikia with its advertisements would do a better job, as long as it has a powerful backing infrastructure.

If you get the chance to submit it (tables + headers + links below that), http://paste2.org/11nGJ27y . I've been waiting here 30 minutes for the wiki page to save and have to leave now.

So you have clarified the os usage.
How about audio players available:
Jriver, Jplay, ITunes, Audirvana, A host of lesser known custom programs such as audiogate, stealth etc...

Someone using these may find it important to know NOW how the mdac2 will react to these configurations, as well as deciding what quality audio files should be collected.
Regards.

I agree that this is a bit off-topic, and don't you think you are asking for the impossible anyway? Unless John has something up his sleeve, I don't think anybody knows what an MDAC-2 sounds like, though he and the lucky ones with Toy and Fusion upgrades have probably got a pretty good idea of what it might do.
The whole computer music game is complicated enough even if you just stick to PC, or to Mac (as I do). I can only report for an unmodded MDAC. If it has a particular reaction to being fed from a Mac it hasn't told me, although my system is very fussy about a) which power supply feeds the Mac (wonderful with Paul Hynes, acceptable with a cheapo linear supply, miserable with the Apple supply) or b) which version of Audirvana+ (all pretty good, but no doubt that I prefer the last beta 7). There are significant differences with removing bits from the Mac (see Item Audio, or my long report on the Paul Hynes site) and with MDAC firmware (I still prefer the original) as well as with the filter settings. Once you have a dac, you have to sort all this out for yourself (and some of it is even fun!)

Hi John,

What is your plan for the MPAX?

I know that it is on hold, but would there be any estimated time frame for when you would start working on it again?

Also, if one would go with the MDAC2 + Fusion upgrade, how much do you think would be noticable in the improvement of the SQ with the MPAX?

Or would it be wise to buy the MCRU Regulated PSU Ultimate Version for the moment?

Thank you.

Adaptivemotion,

The MPAX is (was) projected to sell for £400 - within the same price league as the MDAC2 upgrade (£400 to £500) - While an external PSU can only add "icing to the cake" a Mainboard upgrade can bring a real leap in performance + features.

After 20 years I'm tired of fight the daily troubles with China - it makes my stomach turn just thinking about having to deal with the incompetence, dishonesty and fundamental lack of basic understanding faced on a day by day basis in China – MDAC2 PCB can be manufactured here in Europe to a much higher and consistent quality, while I can live a life of humane creature comforts… as you can see I’m not in the correct frame of mind to work in Asia anymore!

The MDAC2 will be a massive leap ahead of the existing MDAC – I’ve got many refinements on the Lab bench that will be combined on the new design to make us proud :)

The most requested feature of the MPAX is the AV bypass – this will be added to the MDAC2…

Personally, I’m inclined to suggest saving your funds until MDAC2…

After the MDAC2, IMO what is really required is a small decent matching Power Amplifier - the MIMP... I have a design, but what I really need is someone who can help with the PCB design - if anyone knows of a person who wants and job in HiFi and can design PCB's and does not mind to escape to Czech Rep. land of cheap beer, beautiful weather and lady's then let us know!...

Hello everybody, especially JohnW and Dominik. I've been a pfm forum reader all this while. I'm a happy listener of the mdac since last November : ) KEF Q300 <-> Naim Nait 5i-2 <-> vdh D102 mkIII Hybrid interconnect <-> M-DAC <-> Squeezebox Touch

I've put my (forum)name on the pledge list
http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page#Pledges_to_support_with_monthly_installments

rundll32,

Welcome to PFM - thank you for your pledged support of the MDAC2 project :)

"rundll32" is that not some component of the Windows OS? :)

Adaptivemotion,

The most requested feature of the MPAX is the AV bypass – this will be added to the MDAC2…

Will this go via the volume control...need to have that function for analogue input from the Turntable phono amp.

Jo

Will AV bypass go via the volume control...need to have that function for analogue input from the Turntable phono amp.
Jo
no, the bypass only works if the mdac is off.

but a few week ago we discuss an optional analogue board for m2dac.
that would be include volume control.
my understanding was John was interested but a decision was not made.

--------
regards
f.s.

Fred, my understanding is that the bypass in the current batch of MDAC upgrades is also activated when a headphone is plugged in.

On the upcoming M2DAC board, the bypass will be selectable via remote control. Volume control would require an additional board though.

Adaptivemotion,

The MPAX is (was) projected to sell for £400 - within the same price league as the MDAC2 upgrade (£400 to £500) - While an external PSU can only add "icing to the cake" a Mainboard upgrade can bring a real leap in performance + features.

After 20 years I'm tired of fight the daily troubles with China - it makes my stomach turn just thinking about having to deal with the incompetence, dishonesty and fundamental lack of basic understanding faced on a day by day basis in China – MDAC2 PCB can be manufactured here in Europe to a much higher and consistent quality, while I can live a life of humane creature comforts… as you can see I’m not in the correct frame of mind to work in Asia anymore!

The MDAC2 will be a massive leap ahead of the existing MDAC – I’ve got many refinements on the Lab bench that will be combined on the new design to make us proud :)

Personally, I’m inclined to suggest saving your funds until MDAC2…

After the MDAC2, IMO what is really required is a small decent matching Power Amplifier - the MIMP... I have a design, but what I really need is someone who can help with the PCB design - if anyone knows of a person who wants and job in HiFi and can design PCB's and does not mind to escape to Czech Rep. land of cheap beer, beautiful weather and lady's then let us know!...

John, I don't think anybody would disagree that the MIMP should be the next item on the list. However, it does look as if the MTRN is slipping back a bit. Should those of us who still like CD, and have reasonable CD players/ transports, be thinking about trying to sort out clock-locking for ourselves? I have a Meridian 500, and live close to a Meridian engineer. Any comments/ advice/optical receiver circuits?

I believe you have at least had thoughts about the Rega Apollo, but I'm not asking that you do anything directly; I would not want you to spend time which would be better spent on the MDAC-2!

I can't rise both my hands, can I? The girl part particularly attractive!

too bad I am in Singapore and never did pcb design before. The only thing close to that is I did chip layout design before.

I am still looking for a good power amp to match my dali ms5, it got to have enough damping factor for the bass texture I after. Karan is in my shortlisted but who know if Mimp might just do it.

Mav

If the M-DAC 2 has an AV bypass where it can connect between my AV Amp pre out L&R and then feed a power amp, while also having a pre amp so I could use it via USB from my PC then this could solve a lot of problems for me. I could either use my Krell integrated as just a power amp or buy different power amp.

Would sure be a very useful feature to have. To listen to music I put the DAC on and feed it USB from my PC, even as a pre amp too, then when I watch a film I turn the DAC off and it passes through the signal to the stereo amp and allows volume control from the AV amp.

If this will be possible then sign me up!

If the M-DAC 2 has an AV bypass where it can connect between my AV Amp pre out L&R and then feed a power amp, while also having a pre amp so I could use it via USB from my PC then this could solve a lot of problems for me. I could either use my Krell integrated as just a power amp or buy different power amp.

Would sure be a very useful feature to have. To listen to music I put the DAC on and feed it USB from my PC, even as a pre amp too, then when I watch a film I turn the DAC off and it passes through the signal to the stereo amp and allows volume control from the AV amp.

If this will be possible then sign me up!

Nick,

Yes, that's the idea behind the AV bypass, you can connect your MDAC directly to the power-amps & connect an external pre-amplifier (or AV system) via the AV bypass inputs.

With MDAC2 you will be able to select the AV bypass mode via front panel / RC.

Even with modified MDAC's you 'could' select AV bypass via the Front Panel / RC but we would need to release a new software version...

John, I don't think anybody would disagree that the MIMP should be the next item on the list. However, it does look as if the MTRN is slipping back a bit. Should those of us who still like CD, and have reasonable CD players/ transports, be thinking about trying to sort out clock-locking for ourselves? I have a Meridian 500, and live close to a Meridian engineer. Any comments/ advice/optical receiver circuits?

I believe you have at least had thoughts about the Rega Apollo, but I'm not asking that you do anything directly; I would not want you to spend time which would be better spent on the MDAC-2!

Bob,

Don't worry, I'm also keen for the MTRN as I'd like a matching mini-transport tot he MDAC / MDAC2 so the project is still active - for both the Amplifiers and MTRAN I have the designs for both but need a PCB designer - I'm going to be backlogged working on the MDAC2...

Will this go via the volume control...need to have that function for analogue input from the Turntable phono amp.

Jo

Jo,

I'd like to include a Analogue input with volume control - again time will be the limiting factor - so I'm thinking along the lines of adding connectors and mounting holes on the MDAC2 PCB to support the option later (user installable)...

I'll see if its possible once I start the PCB design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back