advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, its a good idea to buy a second hand MDAC if you can find one, then sometime around Christmas to Feb 2014 we will be shipping the MDAC2 PCB's :)

Hi, John, what is the estimated period before TDAC is designed and MTRN, MAMP (not MIAMP) is released ? Considering to get the MDAC2, but don't want to upgrade again after less than 1 year. Currently, still using 8200CDQ. Thank you.

ps: I am in the TDAC list - that is if the list is still valid. :confused:

Hi, John, what is the estimated period before TDAC is designed and MTRN, MAMP (not MIAMP) is released ? Considering to get the MDAC2, but don't want to upgrade again after less than 1 year. Currently, still using 8200CDQ. Thank you.

ps: I am in the TDAC list - that is if the list is still valid. :confused:

Once the MDAC2 is released I'll work on the MIMP then back to the TDAC - so we are looking at a year from MDAC2 is rolling down the production line before we will work on the TDAC.

There will be a lot to learn from the MDAC2 - these results will have an impact on the TDAC design - I'm still very keen for the TDAC...

Once the MDAC2 is released I'll work on the MIMP then back to the TDAC - so we are looking at a year from MDAC2 is rolling down the production line before we will work on the TDAC.

There will be a lot to learn from the MDAC2 - these results will have an impact on the TDAC design - I'm still very keen for the TDAC...

Thank you for your quick and direct response :):):)

Sorry to be one of those people but just wondering where mine might be in the pile, getting a little excited now to say the least. :)

Cheers

Steve,

More information is here in the MDAC2 Wiki:-

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

MDAC2 Fusion will be the highest performance build with all tweaks :)

I have a special "development" version of a Silver MDAC Fusion here I might consider letting go... if a decent offer came my way...

Hello John and all,

I've been following this thread each week for a year and a half since getting my MDAC via Canada. This is my first post on pfm. Unfortunately, for MDAC upgrade purposes, I live in Southern California, USA.

John, is there anyway yet to have either a European "sponsor" or to get on the list for a silver fusion MDAC2 from the USA? I tried the wiki site above but it says "access denied" when I tried to add my name. I'd be quite interested a "development" one or open to any option available to getting an MDAC2 stateside.

Perhaps following the thread daily with all your regular posters, you may not realize that there are many, many people that love the work you do all over this planet. A 20 year old port for the taste, a dim LAKE WEST on the panel of the MDAC and 16 glowing tubes for the eyes, producing sublime music for the ears. I can't imagine it getting any better than right at this minute, but I am excited for the day I find out what the next level is like. Thank you for all your tireless work.

jim

Hi John
Please add me to the list for the black salvaged MDAC2 with Toy
Are you close to finish with upgrades?
tomis

Hello John and all,

I've been following this thread each week for a year and a half since getting my MDAC via Canada. This is my first post on pfm. Unfortunately, for MDAC upgrade purposes, I live in Southern California, USA.

John, is there anyway yet to have either a European "sponsor" or to get on the list for a silver fusion MDAC2 from the USA? I tried the wiki site above but it says "access denied" when I tried to add my name. I'd be quite interested a "development" one or open to any option available to getting an MDAC2 stateside.

Perhaps following the thread daily with all your regular posters, you may not realize that there are many, many people that love the work you do all over this planet. A 20 year old port for the taste, a dim LAKE WEST on the panel of the MDAC and 16 glowing tubes for the eyes, producing sublime music for the ears. I can't imagine it getting any better than right at this minute, but I am excited for the day I find out what the next level is like. Thank you for all your tireless work.

jim

Jim,

Thank you for your support :) The rehosted Wiki site is:-

http://mdac2.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

The MDAC2 consists of a Mainboard upgraded - a relatively simply job of swapping the Mainboard - A DIY job.

We plan to post a video tutorial to help guide one though the process... I expect most owners feeling brave will have little problem... if anything goes wrong, the unit can always be sent back to us to be corrected at no charge.

Sending the replacement MDAC2 Mainboard to the US should be simple with little problem :)

Hi John
Please add me to the list for the black salvaged MDAC2 with Toy
Are you close to finish with upgrades?
tomis

tomis,

I've added you to the list your #100 :)

I'll finish 5 more upgrades then start the MDAC2 project while upgrading say 3 MDAC's a week until they are finally cleared out...

so in about 10 days you begin to working on the MDAC2 ?
#100 :D
but doesn't this also mean I'll get my MDAC2 not before Feb2014 ?

so in about 10 days you begin to working on the MDAC2 ?
#100 :D
but doesn't this also mean I'll get my MDAC2 not before Feb2014 ?

It will take about 6 months from when we start the MDAC2 project for the first units to start shipping, I'd like to think that we could "Gift ourselves" the MDAC2 as a Christmas gift - but more likely sometime between Christmas and Feb 2014.

The one thing to be absolutely certain off is that I'm not to be trusted with time-scales, I'm a perfectionist by nature - which is more often then not a big failing... But I can guarantee that you will get the very VERY best DAC money can buy anywhere near the total cost of the MDAC2.

Thanks John - where do I send the monthly installments too? I can start this week.

Cheers

Seb

Seb,

As soon as I've completed the next 5 MDAC upgrades I'll 'Open" the pledge book and start the MDAC2 design... I just need to push myself to get these units out!

I hear you! Re-doing the motherboard definitely makes sense for Lakewest enterprises instead of individually.

Hi,

Is it worth thinking about a mac for the mdac2 design.
Considering that ASIO drivers will be needed for Windows for certain files.
Or maybe a Linux.
Then there is the software that will be used to stream via usb.

Windows-Jriver, Jplay with WASAPI out currently.
Linux- Don't know of any. I don't think foobar compares to jriver considering the configuration options and user interface.
Mac- Audirvana, bit perfect, and considering the fact that drivers wont be needed, possibly the best option.

Ideally controllable via android/ios app.

Just something else to consider is what www.itemaudio.com offer in custome built transport and players.
Lots of specifically picked components to optimise the output with lots of options for configurability.
They currently advise solutions depending on operating systems, playback software etc...
High end pc parts that may compete with high end streamers without the high costs.
Something like this would be good to consider NOW, before the mdac2 production process.

Hi,

Is it worth thinking about a mac for the mdac2 design.
Considering that ASIO drivers will be needed for Windows for certain files.
Or maybe a Linux.
Then there is the software that will be used to stream via usb.

Windows-Jriver, Jplay with WASAPI out currently.
Linux- Don't know of any. I don't think foobar compares to jriver considering the configuration options and user interface.
Mac- Audirvana, bit perfect, and considering the fact that drivers wont be needed, possibly the best option.

Ideally controllable via android/ios app.

Just something else to consider is what www.itemaudio.com offer in custome built transport and players.
Lots of specifically picked components to optimise the output with lots of options for configurability.
They currently advise solutions depending on operating systems, playback software etc...
High end pc parts that may compete with high end streamers without the high costs.
Something like this would be good to consider NOW, before the mdac2 production process.
I don't think that's something for this thread or even MDAC2-specific. :)

Summary:
  • Windows will work at 24/96 (UAC1) natively (as far as I know), up to 24/192 (UAC2) and beyond using a custom ASIO driver
  • Linux will work natively up to at least 24/192 (UAC2), probably beyond that (untested)
  • Mac will work natively up to at least 24/192 (UAC2), probably beyond that (untested)

No need to restrict ourselves to specific players, use whatever suits you the best. The interfaces / drivers will be universal with respect to (bitperfect-able) players.

I personally plan to support MDAC2 on Linux (all variants / distros), the amount of support might be however limited by Dominik's / John's time. :)

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has the firmware upgrade page for the MDAC, the wiki seems to be down. Cheers

We have still not added the links to the new wiki - what version do you need?
I will rewrite / reformat the old wiki to the new one later today (GMT).

I was kind of wondering - why you keep using these rather small wiki hosting providers instead of ie. Wikia, which is very reliable and pretty much the biggest free wiki hosting site by far?

I've also noticed some downtime on the new wiki hosting, not as bad as on the old one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back