advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part XXVI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John,

Great news about the MDAC2!!!!

Since I'm working more often in my home office I've decided to get a second DAC. What are my options regarding the MDAC2?

1. Keep my FUSION MDAC as it is and get a salvaged unit modified 'at cost' instead.
2. Get my FUSION MDAC modified 'at cost' and join the regular list (with monthly installments) for a salvaged unit.
3. ?
4. Convince you to sell your spare silver one :D

Michael

First installment sent :)

BTW JohnW, how do we send the money for the new condition salvaged unit? It was 350 GBP, right?

To add:

This would free up funds to have my Copper amp upgraded to Vishay Bulk Film resistors in the driver stages and output stages next month during its annual service :)

This should provide an even bigger window for DAC upgrades, especially at Scalford.

Steven surely the resistors in the output stage of your amp are large 'multi'-watt items, not piddly little 500mA rated parts? Anthony would need to parallel loads of the feckers to get a decent rating.

seems like quite a number have people have already sent funds for the first payment. John, can you let us know when we reach the magic '50' as I seem to remember this was the number that had to commit to make this project viable.

If it's the Easter Bunny delivering the goodies rather than Santa ship the MDAC2's with a cadbury's cream egg - that'll be a pleasant surprise for non Brits :)

Steven surely the resistors in the output stage of your amp are large 'multi'-watt items, not piddly little 500mA rated parts? Anthony would need to parallel loads of the feckers to get a decent rating.

There are ten fairly low voltage ones he can change in about three hours. This will bring my Copper amp in line with two others (Marco's and Ian's). The big 'uns won't be changed.

Thanks for that John. I'll bring my MDAC.

Also note my dates have now changed to 25 September to 04 October.

Could you please send me a PM to provide contact details to discuss arrangements outside the forum?

Roger.

PM sent :)

Payment has just been made,

I will handle the mainboard upgrade myself, have already sourced a second hand M-Dac for the upgrade.. Not pulling my Sovereign DC+ M-Dac apart. Going to go full Fusion spec on the M-Dac 2.

One thing to ask, could you give us weekly updates on a Lakewest page.. Give us a bit of an insight into the design process, share anything interesting (or not), challenges or problems faced, pics of anything worth seeing... I really enjoy seeing how these things evolve over time, and it will give people peace of mind that its progressing.
And having it there rather than here means it wont get lost in the background noise of this giant thread!

Thanks again John! :)

Sam

At least to me, on the MDAC2 Wiki, unless the PFM member clearly states "new salvaged MDAC", it is not clear that those who indicated a color (black or silver) wanted a new salvaged MDAC. It could be to indicate the color of their existing MDAC so that the correct colored rear panel will be mailed to them.

Suggest reformatting the two lists on the Wiki into table formats, perhaps with separate columns for "purchase and install in new salvaged MDAC (please indicate color)" and "install in existing MDAC (please indicate color of existing MDAC)" or something like that.

Also, may need to send PM to all those members who pledged, as not everyone follows the thread regularly :p

Leon

One thing to ask, could you give us weekly updates on a Lakewest page.. Give us a bit of an insight into the design process, share anything interesting (or not), challenges or problems faced, pics of anything worth seeing... I really enjoy seeing how these things evolve over time, and it will give people peace of mind that its progressing.

Thanks again John! :)

Sam

+1 to that

Hi John,

I was going to test headphones (first time ever, btw) through my upgraded unit, but no sound comes out of them, even at +3dB. I hear relays clicking when pushing the plug in/out and when plugged in, speakers are mute.

Is this the case of "sticking" relays? Should I give the unit a little strike with hand? Power on or off?

If you look at PFM or ebay, a used mdac has a value of 400.- GBP so, for those who didn't own a upgraded org. MDAC it make sense to order a salvaged MDAC with the new Mdac2 PCB.

That simplify also the upgrade process for the owner?

There will be an ultimate limit to "Salvaged / reclaimed" MDAC's - considering the numbers sold, the MDAC has been very reliable, IAG service is collating units from all corners of the market - numbers are limited.

The offer for a salvaged unit is not intended to be a replacement for sourcing second hand units etc. "Abusing" the opportunity will upset MDAC dealers and the door will be closed to us in the future.

If I understand you correct, you say that it is unlikely that you could reuse the toy and fusion bulk foils within MDAC2?

if we want to upgrade madac2 with bulk folis, did we have to buy them still separately or did you have all the needed parts?

I'd like to design out the sonic degradation of these resistors positions (where it was found beneficial to use the expensive Bulk Foil resistors) - as part of Stage 1 of the MDAC2 development I'm prototyping a circuit topology that if all goes will allow this.

As at this stage we are not certain - I cannot say what combination of Bulk Foil resistors will be required for the equivalent "Toy" and "Fusion" upgrade for MDAC2.

earlier you wrote, that would like to have the old mdac pcb's back for reusing some parts of them. is this still your plan?

If the production unit cost of the MDAC2 PCB is below GBP200 then we would not consider harvesting expensive components from the original MK1 PCB. We can only make this decision once we have the final unit costings.

Hi John,

I was going to test headphones (first time ever, btw) through my upgraded unit, but no sound comes out of them, even at +3dB. I hear relays clicking when pushing the plug in/out and when plugged in, speakers are mute.

Is this the case of "sticking" relays? Should I give the unit a little strike with hand? Power on or off?

Could be - I've not tested your headphone output as I was not aware of any previous issue with it (the upgrade does not effect the relay output circuits).

Yes - give it a bash :)

At least to me, on the MDAC2 Wiki, unless the PFM member clearly states "new salvaged MDAC", it is not clear that those who indicated a color (black or silver) wanted a new salvaged MDAC. It could be to indicate the color of their existing MDAC so that the correct colored rear panel will be mailed to them.

Suggest reformatting the two lists on the Wiki into table formats, perhaps with separate columns for "purchase and install in new salvaged MDAC (please indicate color)" and "install in existing MDAC (please indicate color of existing MDAC)" or something like that.

Also, may need to send PM to all those members who pledged, as not everyone follows the thread regularly :p

Leon

Hi Lean - indeed :)

BTW, your arrived in the UK last week - so hopefully its should be on its way over to you :)

Could be - I've not tested your headphone output as I was not aware of any previous issue with it (the upgrade does not effect the relay output circuits).

Yes - give it a bash :)
A bash from above to the left side does help, but only temporarily: after unplugging the headphones, problem is back again.

I can live with it for now, because I've not been using headphones with MDAC, but would like to have them fixed/changed at some point.

I should have tested it before sending the unit for upgrade :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back