advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TDAC will be a development from this board :) so this would be the first step :)

The Toy / Fusion units are really VERY VERY good - the MDAC MK2 will be EVEN better... for lessthen half the price of TDAC - its worth a try :)

I'm in! Put me down for the MDAC + Toy rather than Fusion - I'll save the cash difference for when the TDAC eventually shows up.

The Toy / Fusion units are really VERY VERY good - the MDAC MK2 will be EVEN better... for lessthen half the price of TDAC - its worth a try :)

Indeed, the price of the TDAC may be a bit too steep for some. I think it is even more fun to 'see' how the MK2 is developed and be able to participate in this communal project. What is the fun of just going to the shop and spend a lot of money if the heart is not in it? ;-)

I'm down for the Fusion update, with resistors already ordered from Hifi collective, and you have my MDAC at the moment, so I presume it's still OK to Fusion my machine. After that, assuming I like what I get back, I am almost certain to go for the dual chip upgrade at a later date.

Yes - for those who's MDAC I have here still to waiting to be upgraded (and I've upgraded already) - will be upgraded as promised, and can be upgraded to MDAC MK2 Spec once the PCB are available for the cost price of the replacement board... (and I also transplant the expensive Toy / Fusion resistors to the new MK2 board).

John, Speaking against myself and my own MDAC, maybe it's time for you to take the extra step and design the first Lakewest line of DACs.

To be honest, jumping into another queue that will only produce results in 2014 assuming everything goes well with the new PCB, it isn't bad, but it isn't good either, mainly considering we will have to order parts from one supplier and also need some DIY work for board swapping.

It we have to wait for 2014, maybe we should wait for the first Lakewest DAC.

If a trade in program for the MDAC could be arranged, then that would be perfect, if not, that would be very unfortunate but understandable.
Maybe you could also sell current upgrade options to audiolab, who knows...

Michael

John, Speaking against myself and my own MDAC, maybe it's time for you to take the extra step and design the first Lakewest line of DACs.

To be honest, jumping into another queue that will only produce results in 2014 assuming everything goes well with the new PCB, it isn't bad, but it isn't good either, mainly considering we will have to order parts from one supplier and also need some DIY work for board swapping.

It we have to wait for 2014, maybe we should wait for the first Lakewest DAC.

If a trade in program for the MDAC could be arranged, then that would be perfect, if not, that would be very unfortunate but understandable.
Maybe you could also sell current upgrade options to audiolab, who knows...

Michael

Its a good first step - I'm happier upgrading existing products as I've more control by manufacturing the PCB here in Europe.... its Soooo much easier for me to just design and test PCB's then having to worry about a whole unit - mechanical design, packaging, shipping from Asia etc....

This way I get to personally test each board, with non of this crap I see inside customers units!

Heres a Wiki Dominik created for the NextGen MDAC...

http://wikkii.org/wiki/M-DAC_Next

I've added those who have shown interest - Thank you very much!

Your welcome to edit the Wiki to add yourself to the interest list.

Its relieves so much pressure as I've struggled with the upgraded units to insure that they pass the listening tests - I'm now upgrading so much of the unit that its no longer practical in time-scales to offer this as an upgrade package. Its also hugely motivating to have a clearer picture how we will release a practical the successor to the MDAC :)

I am going to take one thing at a time on this MDAC MK2 thing. First i need my Fusioned MDAC back. Then i need to listen to it. Then i need to make decision if i want and need more.

In any case, I am more interested in the end result (finished MDAC MK2 upgrade board) than the process of waiting it to happen. I am done waiting for a while after this one. I've kinda burned my hifi budget for a while too.

Still, the totally new MDAC MK2 pcb makes more sense than JohnW working on the individual MDAC upgrades indefinitely :).

Its a good first step - I'm happier upgrading existing products as I've more control by manufacturing the PCB here in Europe.... its Soooo much easier for me to just design and test PCB's then having to worry about a whole unit - mechanical design, packaging, shipping from Asia etc....

This way I get to personally test each board, with non of this crap I see inside customers units!

Ok, please count me in.
:)

Michael

I'm interested in principle in the new project in the longer term, but I'd like to have some time with my fusion upgrade, which is in the queue, before going further. So I guess I might not be in the first 50. Maybe next year I'd think about it.

It sounds like a good way for you to go, given the amount of work these upgrades currently involve.

- Richard.

Yes its sensible - easier and results in an even better unit - the Next Gen MDAC :)

So I guess I remove you from the MDAC MK2 list?

Let me ponder this... I think the answer is no, keep me on it.. I have a use for two dacs anyway....

If it helps/is an option I can do installation.. So fully fusioned v2 pcb shipped to me, I do the fitting.

If you have ordered the Toy / Fusion resistors and have yet to send your DAC for upgrade then I'll still upgrade your unit- but suggest you wait for the MK2 MDAC PCB... you will be first on the list :)

I see John, thank you and have my full support for your endeavor, I'm going for the monthly payment for the upgrade.

Sorry to bother you like this, but you haven't included information of av bypass mickey mouse or balanced xlr headphone output.
But bringing it up now will prevent changing plans later on.

Will they still be options for the new PCB, or even incorporated into the new design as standard.
I don't want to make things more complicated, but its better to ask now!

This seems to be a sensible way forward John. I just wonder how many people whose Mdacs you already have will be prepared to wait rather than take the upgrade Ty/Fusion upgrade they have already ordered. I guess it's an extra 40 days+ onto the bottom line if they all want upgrades now.

If there was a timescale that wasn't too long, and if the extra cost was clearer, I'd think about doing this - after all it doesn't make a lot of sense to swap in the fusion resistors and then swap them out again.

But even after only 4 weeks I'm missing my MDAC :) I was originally hoping to get it back in time for my birthday (1 Aug) :D

- Richard.

If I'm not mistaken, the "first 20" are not included in the list. Can you order replacement pcbs for our units with the first production batch?

Yes - as these PCB's will be produced separately as I'll be selling the upgrade boards at our cost, thus this does not directly help finance the development. I'll ask for the funds once we get closer to PCB production to simple pay the cost of components etc (once I've issued the PCB design files). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back