advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headphone users are the biggest growth area in Hifi. If this balanced option is made available, then it will really put the icing on the cake IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not just sq, but balanced output will allow, longer cable runs and improved output to drive difficult loads.

Lo Phil.

Still think HP people are a tiny subset of MDac users. Though I may be quite wrong.

Actually I use HP's just about every day as my neighbours go to bed about 21:30. Pain in the arse.

Lo Phil.

Still think HP people are a tiny subset of MDac users. Though I may be quite wrong.

Actually I use HP's just about every day as my neighbours go to bed about 21:30. Pain in the arse.

They probably go to bed that early (or say they do) just to piss you off.

Nah. I can hear them shagging then snoring...hence the HP's.

Only if I'm watching a film though. Otherwise I use room number two.

I guess it depends on how longer they last.... but if they're busy banging each other they'll be too busy to bang on the wall.

Lo Phil.

I have three young children who have been brought up on my av and music played loud, so sleep through,but the partners a pain in the arse:D
Plus while she has the montage of Corrie, Enders and Dale, I can listen to my music .
Or can I ? Av bypass kicks in while Mdac is off so no headphone output..bugger anyway, until I can afford the Mamp it will be fed into av receiver for now.:p

At least I add one to the hp users which is the only way in a work place, even to the extend that I use a close back when a lot others around, and change to a semi-open(better sq) when work over-time after normal office hour, and speakers are simply out of question for any boss I think. :)

Actually none, even close-back leaks in quiet environs.

You are right, I meant that perhaps one can find a compromise where the leakage is non-aggressive for other around you.

Many reviews claim that the AKG K550 "sound like" open cans...but again, who can trust those evil profit-driven magazines ¬¬

Many reviews claim that the AKG K550 "sound like" open cans...but again, who can trust those evil profit-driven magazines ¬¬

I have a pair for work, and using with portable gear, very impressive for the money, good sound isolation and a surprisingly large sound-stage for closed HPs.

They're only 32 ohms so are easily driven, and sound much better with my rPAC than my K702s do, however via the MDAC the K702s win out...but the leakage from the K702s is like having a loud AM radio on...;)

I have a pair for work, and using with portable gear, very impressive for the money, good sound isolation and a surprisingly large sound-stage for closed HPs.

They're only 32 ohms so are easily driven, and sound much better with my rPAC than my K702s do, however via the MDAC the K702s win out...but the leakage from the K702s is like having a loud AM radio on...;)

I think I will wait and get my upgraded unit before I jump on anything. Any idea on what is the maximum recommended load that can be used with the MDAC? ~100 ohm?

Hi John, just wondering if my 'Toy' upgrade resistors have shown up yet...:)

They were ordered on Friday, and I believe shipped air mail, so shouldn't be too long now...

Cheers,

Will

Will, Simon, Joke721

Your "Toy" resistors kits arrived today, so I'll get your units out for Monday,

I think I will wait and get my upgraded unit before I jump on anything. Any idea on what is the maximum recommended load that can be used with the MDAC? ~100 ohm?

With the Toy / Fusion upgrade I test with 50ohm load at full signal level - MDAC drives this with no problem.

Thank you, it's encouraging.

Can you tell me more about this ? Are actives (Adams) significantly better by low volume and microdynamic than common passive loudspeakers ?

And what about subwoofer - is it difficult to join it together ? Is it enough to have one SW or its better to have two for proper stereo image ?

Probably one cannot generalise about active vs. passive. I think the actives remove some of the complexity from the setup (pre-power amp/speaker combination, cabling ...). And actually for the sound I get, I probably would have certainly invested as much in speakers alone. The Adams are also famous for their tweeters & overall great resolution and "analytical" sound.

The sub can be hooked up either to the RCA (that's what I do; was discussed before somewhere in one of this thread's ancestors), or you can go in with XLR/out XLR (they allow to either set a transition frequency or to forward the unmodified signal).

Theoretically you don't need 2 subs, but with enough "shelf space" I probably would consider it, just for the heck of it. And the connect a pair of Artist 3 to the subs ;-) Joking here; 1 sub is as complex as I want to get (and feeling good with it). Needed some days "burn in" - the difference was remarkable.

Thank you, it's encouraging.

I have old Marantz PM44 with Dynaudio Audience 10 nowadays and it's on edge to say diference between old Denon CD player and M-DAC. And sound becomes more tiring/annoying last years (I feel some sound distortion, probably amp is not in good shape after years). I heard few new amps (NAD, Hegel) and passive loudspeakers but despite quite high price I never had a "wow feeling". And I have felt that such solution is not ideal for near/mid-field conditions and low-level listening.

Can you tell me more about this ? Are actives (Adams) significantly better by low volume and microdynamic than common passive loudspeakers ?

And what about subwoofer - is it difficult to join it together ? Is it enough to have one SW or its better to have two for proper stereo image ?

I'd feel compelled to say that the Adams I have heard would wipe out any separates at the same price.

It's difficult to get a good listen to them before buying. Though item ( formerly a poster here) did offer loans for plenty of actives.

I very much doubt if you would be disappointed with say a set of Adam F5's or F7's with or without a sub. Or perhaps the Artist 6 if you fancy a floor stander.

But if you chose to adda sub later, then you'd have a very fine full range set up for very little outlay.

Take a bite. I think you'll like the taste.

If I ever get rid of my Trios ill be going for a pair of Artist 6 to replace them.

I'm not concerned by their relatively ' small' published power output as they are active and don't have to feed a hungry X-over.

Ps.

Forgot to add that the excellent tweeteris super detailed without the tiniest bit harshness.

My baroque collection is played superbly, layered, detailed and smooth. Can't get enough of the stuff.

I'd feel compelled to say that the Adams I have heard would wipe out any separates at the same price.

Forgot to add that the excellent tweeteris super detailed without the tiniest bit harshness.

My baroque collection is played superbly, layered, detailed and smooth. Can't get enough of the stuff.

Hey arthur, maybe Adam should make us "brand promotors" and sponsor some days in Berlin?

Of note: Your actives are price wise in a different league to the Artists, though I think that the current tweeter doesn't differ (?).

Regarding Artist 6 + Sub combination: I can imagine that this would be superb; but for testing, I would have to carry the sub into a different room. And actually, I am perfectly happy with the 6s as they are; very "light", well defined, pleasurable. And, as said, unobtrusive.

Also, the sub can be run on a very low level (mine is set to ~ -20db with the 5s at 0 db). It definitely adds some "filling" (try some cello!), but no "boom" - but some increase will make it very movie/Hip-Hop friendly.

Back to the thread: Ideal M-DAC speakers ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back