advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re the 701 and 702. The 701 is leaner and brighter, not by much, but it's noticeable.

graphCompare.php

Is the headphone output circuitry the same as the rca. ?

Yes - its the same, just relay switched between Front and Rear outputs..

If yes can you use headphones on the rca via rca to 3.5mm adapter ?.

Yes if you wish - better to wire your headphones for balanced operation and use the XLR's.

And also my relay problem from previous post, just info on whether firmware is inducing a hardware fault ?.

You asked this in the past, same answer - there's NOTHING in software that can effect the relay drive current - not even the time the relays switch has been changed (in case it was somehow related to PSU voltage level).

The software just enables a "Bit" on an external shift register to enable the relays - this shift register is simply On or Off.... (High or Low) so you see the software cannot effect the Relay Drive current.

I'm sure that if you just kept reloading 0.90 software you would encounter the Relay issue.

Sorry for plunging in here,
I'm no Linux expert but have a question.
I'm using the MDac with a Network player (SPDIF) and an antique Pentium M-based notebook (Win XP) without problems.
Now I'm considering buying a small netbook with Atom oder AMD processor because the notebook is a bit too big and sometimes noisy on the HIFI shelf :eek: and XP will be running out soon.
Did I get that right that there are issues with Linux and MDac over USB, or was that only the NAS you wrote about? Because small netbooks are often offered with Ubuntu now (12.04 seems to be the one often mentioned).

Any experiences someone with a good quiet netbook? I thought about an Asus EePC R051 or R11, Acer Aspire One 725 or something like that.

I like to use Foobar2000 with the Waveform seekbar plugin, and that is about what the Pentium M 765 is able, but with too much fanning for my liking.

Asphaltradler

Jirij's been promoted to our resident Linux expert!!! - I know he will be looking into the Linux / MDAC / USB Full Speed issue - once I get his DAC back to him!!!! I'm getting backed up here as MDAC's arrive but no resistors...

If the cheapie is as good as the others I will keep it and send the others back.

Optical or coax?

What do you use yourself?

Hard to say!!! with Clock-Lock I'd go with Optical.

Technically (due to RF and Ground Isolation) I'd say Optical, but many say they prefer Coax...

I may have found the culprit....
The only thing changed when I put the L2 MDAC back was that I disconnected the LSP wiring. Mine are suitable for biwiring so there's a small wire between woofer and tweeter connections. I used teflon insulated silverplated copper for those. Possibly when putting it back I connected to the oxidised bits. Yesterday I replaced the wire with "normal" copper and I notice a difference with the current DAC (less harshness / fatigue).
Not sure but it might be an explanation.
Still curious: it might be both...

From my side it be nice to blame the Speakers!!! - but lets see, your DAC's still not arrived, guessing the flood situation is causing slight delays, I VERY keen to A/B it against our L2MDAC reference unit!

Lets just see (hear)....

I may have found the culprit....
The only thing changed when I put the L2 MDAC back was that I disconnected the LSP wiring. Mine are suitable for biwiring so there's a small wire between woofer and tweeter connections. I used teflon insulated silverplated copper for those. Possibly when putting it back I connected to the oxidised bits. Yesterday I replaced the wire with "normal" copper and I notice a difference with the current DAC (less harshness / fatigue).
Not sure but it might be an explanation.
Still curious: it might be both...

Bevare of silverplated copper wire in high resolution systems, I cannot use it in any of my horn speakers, and I don't like it for interconnect or speakerwire either
I use pure "softened" silver ( heated to red hot ) or pure copper wire only. Solid core preferably

just my experience, and I don't think its minor differences!

Hi John,

Two good things have happend this week, I've got new job and you've said you'll be able to make the AV bypass selectable from the menu!

I know the upgrade list is huge, but I don't mind waiting. Can you put me down for an L2 upgrade with AV bypass?

I've found the original box too for shipping :)

What's the current wait?

Ben

Now I'm considering buying a small netbook with Atom oder AMD processor because the notebook is a bit too big and sometimes noisy on the HIFI shelf :eek: and XP will be running out soon.
Did I get that right that there are issues with Linux and MDac over USB, or was that only the NAS you wrote about? Because small netbooks are often offered with Ubuntu now (12.04 seems to be the one often mentioned).
The issue is present on Ubuntu 13.04 and is relevant to any system that uses the ehci driver, ie. all common desktops/laptops, basically anything x86-based. I have not yet confirmed that the problem happens on every controller (as I lack more hardware), but you can easily try booting Ubuntu 13.04 (live cd/usb) and playing something via the MDAC.

About buying a netbook - please start another thread, there are various factors and market changes every few months. The resulting discussion (with flamewar about SQ vs CPU power) would be mostly offtopic in this thread.

Jirij's been promoted to our resident Linux expert!!! - I know he will be looking into the Linux / MDAC / USB Full Speed issue - once I get his DAC back to him!!!! I'm getting backed up here as MDAC's arrive but no resistors...
Well I'm no USB wizard, that area is still pretty new to me, but I will do what I can.

Bevare of silverplated copper wire in high resolution systems, I cannot use it in any of my horn speakers, and I don't like it for interconnect or speakerwire either
I use pure "softened" silver ( heated to red hot ) or pure copper wire only. Solid core preferably
I have some Van Damme based Designacable (XLR) on my shopping list for which an official Van Damme page states "Combination of silver plated and plain ultra pure oxygen free copper conductors for unsurpassed sound quality". Your comment, along with some older negative feedback for silver plated cables, made me worried - has anyone tried this particular cable? Van Damme doesn't seem to offer copper-only variant.
(in short, if it's more complicated than a simple answer, please use PM / let me know, so I can start a new thread)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Loads of people use silver plated copper wire and are happy with it. Don't get hung up, its just one man's opinion (which he is perfectly entitled to of course).

Silver wire does sound "Brighter" or more "open" - depends upon system matching if this a good or bad thing :)

Well I'm no USB wizard, that area is still pretty new to me, but I will do what I can.

After meeting with you - I'm confident you will get to the bottom of it :)

I have some Van Damme based Designacable (XLR) on my shopping list for which an official Van Damme page states "Combination of silver plated and plain ultra pure oxygen free copper conductors for unsurpassed sound quality". Your comment, along with some older negative feedback for silver plated cables, made me worried - has anyone tried this particular cable? Van Damme doesn't seem to offer copper-only variant.

Guess your thinking about using with MIMP?

Suggest you wait and we can have a listening session here and try various cables - I'm just as keen as you to find a cost effective - sensible solution :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
(in short, if it's more complicated than a simple answer, please use PM / let me know, so I can start a new thread)[/QUOTE]

No need to worry if it works in your system, and no I have not heard that particular cable

the silver plated copper cables I've heard screams and screech, only the mechanical tightness and insulation type holds back this to some degree

in fact whenever i read silver plated copper, In my head its translated to something very close to "listening fatigue"

Recipe for total disaster: multiple strands of silver plated copper, loosely put into a
teflon tube, this will destroy the sound from any system but the ones equipped with mediocre quality dome tweeters

Silver wire does sound "Brighter" or more "open" - depends upon system matching if this a good or bad thing :)

agreed, but silver plated is very different to both copper and silver, it doesn't combine the best of both worlds
softened silver ( like Steen Duelund used to make them ) sounds not as bright as normal pure silver, but very neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back