advertisement

MDAC first listen (part XXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTC

PFM Villager...
Quick question (to save me spending 23763 hours reading the 2873233 posts that have been added to this topic since last I read it):

Has anyone received their L2 MDAC and reviewed it? I have what would be considered a L1 MDAC and I'm just curious to get owners' feedback on the L2 mods.

Quick question (to save me spending 23763 hours reading the 2873233 posts that have been added to this topic since last I read it):

Has anyone received their L2 MDAC and reviewed it? I have what would be considered a L1 MDAC and I'm just curious to get owners' feedback on the L2 mods.

Since its only been about a month since the first batch was sent to john I don't think you need to go through that many posts. There have been a couple of quick reviews that praise the L2 version. A few more myself included should be getting them back by the end f the week so keep reading.

Looking forward to getting my MDAC back as it was pretty dam good before. I trust john to do a good job as he has shown nothing less than total dedication in the pursuit of sound quality

Looks like I should be able to put in a lot of listening time with the new M-DAC when its ready.

I managed to break my ankle while Kiteboarding performing a trick but landing way to hot in shallow water :(

With the amount of time I have off my foot I should be able to hopefully pick up on all differences and convert them to words on a self review.

Without writing cheques that my auditory memory cannot cash, I'd say the L2 MDAC is pretty bloody good. However, there are too few L1 units around to make a comparison readily possible unless people put themselves out to organise one.

Without writing cheques that my auditory memory cannot cash, I'd say the L2 MDAC is pretty bloody good. However, there are too few L1 units around to make a comparison readily possible unless people put themselves out to organise one.

I have an L1 8200 CDQ. The comparison will be interesting.

I have an L1 8200 CDQ. The comparison will be interesting.

How similar is the M-DAC to any kind of CDQ? Is the output stage not entirely different? I thought the CDQ mod. package was basically the transformer and display.

What else?

Looks like I should be able to put in a lot of listening time with the new M-DAC when its ready.

I managed to break my ankle while Kiteboarding performing a trick but landing way to hot in shallow water :(

With the amount of time I have off my foot I should be able to hopefully pick up on all differences and convert them to words on a self review.

Where do you kite?
Simon (BEST Kiteboarding)

How similar is the M-DAC to any kind of CDQ? Is the output stage not entirely different? I thought the CDQ mod. package was basically the transformer and display.

What else?

Mine has had 2 mods: transformer + display in September 2011 then the Sovereign or L1 mods a year later to the day while I was over in the CZ.

Any recollection of the detail, in the context of a CDQ?

In the context of a CDQ I recall improvements in dynamics and bass drive but the improvements in texture, focus and nuance derived from the L1 mods to the MDAC were largely absent.

Is it possible to buy a second spare conventional power supply for an M-dac, for the next year I am going to be working a couple of days a week at a second location and it would be easier to leave a power supply there and just carry the M-dac with me

Nicely put!

Hi John,

Question; before and now also after the L2 upgrade, I've got the rare issue that upon switching to the tv input coax1, I hear a loud pink noise coming out of both RCA connected speakers. Switching inputs doesn't help, only turning the mdac off and on. It happens really rarely, once in a month or so. Any idea?

As there is no toroidal transformer in the M-dac, would it be of no benefit to connect it to the mains through my DC blocker?

Might doing so cause any damage conceivably?

My mains supply is pretty grubby.

Cheers.

There's no chance it can do any harm Arthur, and it might give the psu and regs an easier time of it, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back