MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Michael,

Feeling lucky :p Just PM with your Email address and I'll forward the file

PS good luck :rolleyes:

John

Well, I guess we have 4 out of 4 now :)

Since I was feeling lucky too, I did the update on Windows 7 Professional 64bit... no problems here.

I confirmed the version (v0.90 / v0.91) and was able to make different "Jitter Reduction" settings for COAX1 & 2.

My MDAC is from the first batch to arrive in Germany, early february.

Also I did notice that upgrading firmware makes me kind of hungry. Maybe time has come to start the barbecue season... :cool:

Well, I guess we have 4 out of 4 now :)

Since I was feeling lucky too, I did the update on Windows 7 Professional 64bit... no problems here.

I confirmed the version (v0.90 / v0.91) and was able to make different "Jitter Reduction" settings for COAX1 & 2.

My MDAC is from the first batch to arrive in Germany, early february.

Also I did notice that upgrading firmware makes me kind of hungry. Maybe time has come to start the barbecue season... :cool:

Thats great :)

So that's 4 down, 9996 more to go :)

Is EVERYONE using windows 7 64bits these days?

John

T6 (Although it seems a little loose with my driver set).

T7 is too large...

If you "remove" the black finish from the screw head, then just use a "permanent" black marker pen to touch-up the black, this is how its done during production.

John

Thanks John.

Mine is Silver so should be OK.

I'm using WinXPsp2 and happy to try the new firmware if your offer of a fast replacement front still stands if it bricks.

Also, could you point me in the direction of the full upgrade procedure.

Let me know and I'll PM you my email address.

Thats great :)

So that's 4 down, 9996 more to go :)

Is EVERYONE using windows 7 64bits these days?

John

Can I have a go?
Like they say: every day you should do at least one thing that scares you...!

My one is also from the first UK batch

T6 (Although it seems a little loose with my driver set).

T7 is too large...

If you "remove" the black finish from the screw head, then just use a "permanent" black marker pen to touch-up the black, this is how its done during production.

John

Kef told me they use a black china wax pencil. I have one of these and they work fantastically for touching up any "sprayed black" finish.

Not me, I spend all day testing software on W7 and 2008 R2, and come home to my trusty little netbook with XP Home, serves me true ;)

Another MDAC goes 0.91/0.91. UK-bought unit from a month or two ago (no idea how long it's been on a shelf though), XP updated with no drama.

Thanks JohnW!

/dom

If the level of white noise is adjusted by the level control, then its being "Limited" in amplitude - thus indicates a digital miss-lock into the input data stream - confirm by changing inputs. I cannot say what the issue might have been as we have had no reports of a similar issue - and we now have well over 10K units in the field with users. I suggest to keep the D3E Mode enabled.

As the noise is being limited by the gain level - then you will not damage your power-amps etc.

If it was an odd misslock event - then the new software with DPLL settings may resolve the issue - but its so hard to comment based upon a single report out of many thousands of hours use (across many users).

If the unit works reliably without external force on the headphone jack, then then I don't see the issue.

The headphone jack has a "Jack detect switch" which detects the jack inserted - if the jack is not FULLY seated home the the MDAC will not enable the headphones - this is the relay you hear clicking. Unless the MDAC is overtly sensitive the position of the jack - then this does not sound like an issue.

Thanks John,

Had to enter the whole post again, as my first try got lost.. The original heading read "Mdac issues?" (with a question mark).

Glad to hear that you don't think I need to worry about blowing my speakers or hearing :) And on the phones out. Just wanted to make sure I don't have a unit with a weakness that might develop over time (Don't worry, I woun't keen pulling the cord to the left!).

Btw. Come to think of it, I think someone here did posted about a noise event similar to mine, no?

Anyway, my unit is coming on song and is clearly very competent. I still have about a week to decide if it tickles my fancy or goes back to sender. Will post my findings then.

Cheers

I received my MDAC in February this year from a UK dealer. I am keen to update the Firmware when it becomes available. Is it likely that I may have a unit with the older display type that might fail during the update or where these units only amongst the first UK batch?

JohnW: has anything been done to 'tweak' the sound/effects of the filters with this latest firmware revision? Reason I ask is I'd swear my MDAC is sounding better than before the upgrade. All the settings remain stock (as they were before the upgrade), and I'm using USB still. Whilst the sound was very good before, it's now doing that blossoming out of the speakers thing with ease (i.e. it sounds like the speakers aren't there at all!), and just sounding more enjoyable than before. My one criticism of MDAC before was that it could occasionally sound ever so slightly 'mechanical' or analytical, but it now sounds so involving and 'right' - like analogue. Perhaps the incorrect filter settings were loaded for some reason on my example (even though I stuck with USB, which I believe is meant to be free from the incorrectly displayed settings bug), and I'm only now hearing the proper Optimal Transient XP filter or something?

Of course this could all be one big placebo effect of course as I've changed something (updated the firmware!), but I really would swear it's sounding better than before.

Intriguing!

Whatever the reason, I'm a very happy chappy this evening! Ta! :)

- John

Hi John,

Mine was a Dec batch UK one. Could be at risk, but I'd need to flash it for the MPAX at the very least.

I'll wait until the release version then bite the bullet. My only worry would be sourcing a replacement if there's a shortage.

What to do!

Ben

I can test the patch, first NA batch, XP SP3 virtualized under Arch Linux 64 (should work). PM me the link!

Can I have a go?
Like they say: every day you should do at least one thing that scares you...!

My one is also from the first UK batch

Hi tim,

File sent - good luck (did the SBT arrive yet?)

I scare myself every morning when I look in the mirror!

But this link is even more scary - this young lady is a university student!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmlMlSnEoc4

The ladys math skills just about match my writing & spelling abilities... Oh dear...

If I where the lady's Husband, I'd be scared to come home now!!! - He's in trouble, apparently shes a fast runner!

John

Hi John,

Mine was a Dec batch UK one. Could be at risk, but I'd need to flash it for the MPAX at the very least.

I'll wait until the release version then bite the bullet. My only worry would be sourcing a replacement if there's a shortage.

What to do!

Ben

Hi Ben,

There's only one way to find out - send me a PM and Ill forward the file.

John

JohnW: has anything been done to 'tweak' the sound/effects of the filters with this latest firmware revision? Reason I ask is I'd swear my MDAC is sounding better than before the upgrade. All the settings remain stock (as they were before the upgrade), and I'm using USB still. Whilst the sound was very good before, it's now doing that blossoming out of the speakers thing with ease (i.e. it sounds like the speakers aren't there at all!), and just sounding more enjoyable than before. My one criticism of MDAC before was that it could occasionally sound ever so slightly 'mechanical' or analytical, but it now sounds so involving and 'right' - like analogue. Perhaps the incorrect filter settings were loaded for some reason on my example (even though I stuck with USB, which I believe is meant to be free from the incorrectly displayed settings bug), and I'm only now hearing the proper Optimal Transient XP filter or something?

Of course this could all be one big placebo effect of course as I've changed something (updated the firmware!), but I really would swear it's sounding better than before.

Intriguing!

Whatever the reason, I'm a very happy chappy this evening! Ta! :)

- John

Hi John,

Its very possible the filter missloaded - hard to say.

You could try the filters (try the fast filter first) - and see if you can recreate the prior SQ.

John

Thanks John,

Had to enter the whole post again, as my first try got lost.. The original heading read "Mdac issues?" (with a question mark).

Glad to hear that you don't think I need to worry about blowing my speakers or hearing :) And on the phones out. Just wanted to make sure I don't have a unit with a weakness that might develop over time (Don't worry, I woun't keen pulling the cord to the left!).

Btw. Come to think of it, I think someone here did posted about a noise event similar to mine, no?

Anyway, my unit is coming on song and is clearly very competent. I still have about a week to decide if it tickles my fancy or goes back to sender. Will post my findings then.

Cheers

As long as its not overtly sensitive to position of the Headphone jack, then I'd not worry about it. If the MDAC fails outside of the warranty period with this issue, then I personally repair it for you FOC, but I don't believe it will.

John

I received my MDAC in February this year from a UK dealer. I am keen to update the Firmware when it becomes available. Is it likely that I may have a unit with the older display type that might fail during the update or where these units only amongst the first UK batch?

We simply don't know where the panel Dominik has came from. There is a chance that its an early prototype panel - we don't actually own a production version of the MDAC!

I've got 5 units back from IAG UK for fault diagnosis - and non of these have the early version MCU...

All I can say is that we will insure future production batch will not have the early Rev. MCU fitted.

5 out of 5 PFM users units have programmed OK - but we simply just don't know :(

John

Kef told me they use a black china wax pencil. I have one of these and they work fantastically for touching up any "sprayed black" finish.

Oh - the tricks of the trade ;)

Black screw heads are a pain during product and service...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back