advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to bother John, he has enough going on at the moment, but does anyone know what size(s) Torx screwdriver head I need to open the M-DAC?

Not planing to open my M-DAC yet but just want to be ready, just in case I need to at some future date.

Wilky, did you have a "day of release" unit in the UK? If so we can compare serial numbers as well. If not, I am okay to test this for John also if he can send a replacement front panel that quickly.

Hi Jon.

My unit actually came from Plutox who very kindly offered the unit to me (at his original price) as he ended up with two. One via the 'group buy' and one via a dealer.

Serial no is AH00 1842BJB007*

Wow, been fighting your Firewall to send our little EXE file... 3rd time lucky I hope...

Let us know if your the first to brick your unit :)

As before - USB ready etc

This version just adds DPLL setting in the Menu under "Jitter Rejection" and fixes the Digital filter load issue.

John

Hi John.

Unzipped file (via downloaded 7 zip utility) and transferred to laptop to flash the main and front board processors.
All very quick and easy as reported by Jonstatt.

Display shows V0.91/V0.91.

However, the unit shows jitter Rejection and Automatic in that menu but I can't access the high/med/low to adjust the input DPLL required for Opt 2 (or any other SPDIF input).

Am I missing something?

E.g. the Samsung Freeview/BR player which exhibited the fluctuating sample frequency is now dropping out on audio (as before the original Beta mainboard firmware).

At least it hasn't turned into a doorstop. :D

Dave.

Hi Jon.

My unit actually came from Plutox who very kindly offered the unit to me (at his original price) as he ended up with two. One via the 'group buy' and one via a dealer.

Serial no is AH00 1842BJB007*

Hi John.

Unzipped file (via downloaded 7 zip utility) and transferred to laptop to flash the main and front board processors.
All very quick and easy as reported by Jonstatt.

Display shows V0.91/V0.91.

However, the unit shows jitter Rejection and Automatic in that menu but I can't access the high/med/low to adjust the input DPLL required for Opt 2 (or any other SPDIF input).

Am I missing something?

E.g. the Samsung Freeview/BR player which exhibited the fluctuating sample frequency is now dropping out on audio (as before the original Beta mainboard firmware).

At least it hasn't turned into a doorstop. :D

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Basically there is a separate DPLL setting for each SPDIF input.

You will notice that you don't have the DPLL setting option for USB - as its Async operation.

So for each SPDIF input you can go to the menu to set the DPLL BW (each is set and stored separately).

John

I've just updated my MDAC also, using Win7 64-bit (decided not to risk my laptop/XP in the end as it's a bit of an oldie). Touch wood seems to be fine.

New software readout says V0.91/V0.91.

Do you need the serial number John, or would that be a waste of time from the response you gave earlier?

Now to have a listen :)

Cheers,

- John

I've just updated my MDAC also, using Win7 64-bit (decided not to risk my laptop/XP in the end as it's a bit of an oldie). Touch wood seems to be fine.

New software readout says V0.91/V0.91.

Do you need the serial number John, or would that be a waste of time from the response you gave earlier?

Now to have a listen :)

Cheers,

- John

Wow - Good, 3 out of 3 OK :)

Thank you, No need for serial number - it would all be random anyway :)

Thanks for the update,

John

Hi John.

From you earlier description that what I'd assumed you meant and that the DPLL was selectable for each individual SPDIF input (only).
The problem is that when selecting Jitter Rejection in the menu (in this case on Opt 2) it doesn't allow me any further. Just a straight choice of Jitter Rejection or Automatic - not even a sniff at gaining a chance to select low/med/high.

Dave.

Hi John.

From you earlier description that what I'd assumed you meant and that the DPLL was selectable for each individual SPDIF input (only).
The problem is that when selecting Jitter Rejection in the menu (in this case on Opt 2) it doesn't allow me any further. Just a straight choice of Jitter Rejection or Automatic - not even a sniff at gaining a chance to select low/med/high.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

You have to push the knob to allow selection - then turn the knob to select your choice,

Works here...

John

Tried that and it just goes straight to the next menu selection - say LSB Restoration etc..

I'll go back and try again, but one other anomaly, when scrolling slowly through the menu the Jitter Rejection/Automatic was completely missing as a selectable option.
I pressed the Menu button and scrolled again and it showed up again.

Dave.

Tried that and it just goes straight to the next menu selection - say LSB Restoration etc..

I'll go back and try again, but one other anomaly, when scrolling slowly through the menu the Jitter Rejection/Automatic was completely missing as a selectable option.
I pressed the Menu button and scrolled again and it showed up again.

Dave.

Try reseting the MDAC by holding down Sel up and down buttons upon power-up and hold down until the unit fully powers up.

The option will only be there for SPDIF inputs (not USB),

Also once you have selected the required DPLL BW, push the knob to confirm your selection.

Hope this works...

John

Hi John.

Panic over - just me being a plank and not going into menu to change from Automatic to low/med/high.

All working a sweet as a nut.

Send our thanks to Dom as well...

Dave.

Hi John.

Panic over - just me being a plank and not going into menu to change from Automatic to low/med/high.

All working a sweet as a nut.

Send our thanks to Dom as well...

Dave.

Hi Dave,

No problem, its a new feature so just need to get up speed on how it works...

Even I had to turn to my unit to confirm how to select the option :)

Don't forget this is still a beta - the official release is pending (and pending and pending) - but at least you have confirmed your units' not got the duff revision MCU :) there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

John

Hi Dave,

No problem, its a new feature so just need to get up speed on how it works...

Even I had to turn to my unit to confirm how to select the option :)

Don't forget this is still a beta - the official release is pending (and pending and pending) - but at least you have confirmed your units' not got the duff revision MCU :) there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

John

Too true.

Others might take some comfort when they check their serial numbers and find it's higher than mine.
Hopefully it would be less likely to have the early front panel MCU.

Don't want to bother John, he has enough going on at the moment, but does anyone know what size(s) Torx screwdriver head I need to open the M-DAC?

Not planing to open my M-DAC yet but just want to be ready, just in case I need to at some future date.

T6 (Although it seems a little loose with my driver set).

T7 is too large...

If you "remove" the black finish from the screw head, then just use a "permanent" black marker pen to touch-up the black, this is how its done during production.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back