advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, any chance of one with an ADC for recording purposes. The MDAC. Is really very impressive but I am still having to use an Audigy 2NX for ADC duties.

Yes we have something big in the works :) - its higher end, more "Reference Grade" really (but still sub 1K).

For most users, the only real need for a very high quality ADC is to archive LP's (and Master Tape) - so with that in mind we are doing something rather special....

John

Yes we have something big in the works :) - its higher end, more "Reference Grade" really (but still sub 1K).

John

This is what makes you one of the most interesting designers out there IMO, doing something that's inventive, breaks the mould, that's better specified and has better SQ than the competition for sensible money.
It's good to do something that when a competitor or peer sees what you've created, it messes with their heads a bit! lol

Hi Arthur,

Long time no hear, good to hear from you again :) I was searching my desk yesterday and came across your attenuators - OPS!!!! I'll try to get them out this weekend.

Yes, the "Budget DAC" has full remote... I cannot reveal who its for until its "Officially released" :) but it will be in the next 2-3 months... as soon as I can get some progress on the PCB layout :(

No need for the software update yet - we will have to perform it for the M-PAX upgrade later.

John[/QUOTE

Hi John. Cheers for the attenuators, you're a gentleman sir. :)

I'm most intrigued by the new 'budget' dac.

I have three teenage friends that I've weened off ipod docks and now have them on decent amps and speakers.

They are however still using itunes from the headphone out of their laptops :eek::eek: quite grewsome at times!

The new dac will be cheap enough for a Xmas present, they'll then be set for years and converted to the cause. Excellent stuff. :)

For most users, the only real need for a very high quality ADC is to archive LP's (and Master Tape) - so with that in mind we are doing something rather special....

John

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Timescales?

If a units bricked it will need it front panel processor replaced - I happen to have 5 MDAC's here I could send you a replacement front panel.

The "Audiolab" release build will tidy up the Bit Perfect test and indicate "Error" when the MDAC is forced to flush its USB buffer on receipt of incomplete USB packets (an issue that can effect certain versions of MAC hardware).

All other "additional" features will be built into the Lakewest build...

Unless you have an issue with your MDAC, then there's no need to update your software.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the file.

Well, strictly speaking right now I don't need the update - aside from the bug fix. But I'll have to do it at one stage either for the MPAX one or the Lakewest one that turns the display off (and maybe has source renaming ;-) ). Will the MPAX one be able to have the standalone MDAC Lakewest feature set too?

So, I'm probably better getting it out of the way and trying it - especially as you've kindly proposed one of the panels from your stock 5 units should the worst happen :)

I've had a few drinks in the gloroius sunshine we're having in in South-East UK - so i'll try it tomorrow when more sober!

Cheers,

Ben

John what's happening with the update? I've been away for a few days and all sorts seem to be happening. I'm not in a mad rush but so uld prefer your features rather than a basi c audiolab update.

Cheers

John what's happening with the update? I've been away for a few days and all sorts seem to be happening. I'm not in a mad rush but so uld prefer your features rather than a basi c audiolab update.

Cheers

Hi Mark,

Still in Beta version, adds the DPLL options in the menu & Fixes the Digital Filter load issue.

Its really just been "released" to confirm if MDAC owners have units with problematic front panel MCU's that will result in a "Bricked" unit. Without tempting fate, so far we have had no reports of "Bricked" MDAC's.

The official Audiolab software is still pending while Dominik tidy's up the Bit-perfect test. The Lakewest build will follow with the additional features.

John

Hi John

Thanks for the upgrade file.

All appears to be well and updated very quickly without any problems, using WinXPsp2.

Now reporting v0.91/v0.91 +17.4v.

Is that 6 out of 6?

Thanks for the update - more then 6 out of 6 as I've had a few PFM contact me offline....

Good news, but I worry about the few...

It took Dom some time (too long) but its seems fairly stable :)

John

Dear John, my mdac has:
V0.90/v0.90, +15.3V.
Bought on end of december.
Someone tested this combination?

Thanks for the update - more then 6 out of 6 as I've had a few PFM contact me offline....

Good news, but I worry about the few...

It took Dom some time (too long) but its seems fairly stable :)

John

I'm sure I speak for all here in saying we are impressed with the level of support you/Dom are providing but it does seem to be unfair if IAG/Audiolab are not covering your costs, or at least contributing to the cost, of fixing any/the few rogue units, rather than leaving it all to you/Dom.

At least when you start selling equipment under your own 'Lakewest' brand you will get the full benefits flowing from the first class support I know you/Dom will continue to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back