advertisement

MDAC first listen (part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oktane

Feature request if it's technically possible to implement:
- Ability to disable/mute the RCA/XLR outputs independently

I run my active speakers from the XLRs and intend to run a headphone amp from the RCA outputs (not simultaneously, of course). If I have all the gear connected to XLR outputs shut down, I guess it won't be detrimental to the sound quality when using the RCA outputs?

Well I have had my MDac for two weeks now and I'm more than happy !
Someone said I sounded like I had just given birth!
Possibly because I bought a Synology NAS and spent a week messing about trying to get it to work, but now I have I'm in audio heaven.
Using NAS (Accurip FLAC)>MDac>Yamaha AS2000>Celestion A6s.

So how much should i spend on a USB cable? I see they go to about £800 !!!
and do I need a USB isolator?
Why not just make a USB cable with no power feed conductors? would this not solve most of the problem.

Can I nominate John for a knighthood? :)

Ps. book me in for an MPax.

Well, if a generic freebie USB cable passes the M-DAC's bitperfect test, I can't honestly see how a more expensive cable would be any better sonically...

As for the isolator, it's best to try for yourself and see what you think. They're quite cheap after all.

Possibly because I bought a Synology NAS and spent a week messing about trying to get it to work, but now I have I'm in audio heaven.

Why not just make a USB cable with no power feed conductors? would this not solve most of the problem.

How are you running the NAS to the M-DAC ?

Remember if you go for an isolator you will need 2 of those £800 USB cables ;)

Feature request if it's technically possible to implement:
- Ability to disable/mute the RCA/XLR outputs independently

I run my active speakers from the XLRs and intend to run a headphone amp from the RCA outputs (not simultaneously, of course). If I have all the gear connected to XLR outputs shut down, I guess it won't be detrimental to the sound quality when using the RCA outputs?

Unfortunately the RCA and XLR's are hardwired internally and cannot be separated.

Why not use the front headphone jack into your external head phone amp..

Have you tried the MDAC's headphone amplifier - the MDAC's CROSS output stage will help linearize the headphone drivers via Current feedback.

John

I'm running the NaS via USB to MDac and wondered why a USB cable with only the 2 data conductors connected wouldnt largely solve the issue of needing an isolator.
Has anyone made a USB cable?
I read a long article comparing USB cables and the author concluded that there were benefits of higher spec. cable.

Unfortunately the RCA and XLR's are hardwired internally and cannot be separated.

Why not use the front headphone jack into your external head phone amp..

Have you tried the MDAC's headphone amplifier - the MDAC's CROSS output stage will help linearize the headphone drivers via Current feedback.

John

That's what I kind of figured.

I will definitely try the internal amplifier when I get my Sennheiser HD 800 -- it would be truly superb if I didn't have to resort to my external unit.

Many thanks for your great customer service, JohnW.

I have been having problems with 24/96 on coaxial with my Marantz NA7004... however, the minute I changed to optical, the signal synch without issues....

so I don't know if its a hardware or a software issue.... let's hope the new firmware clears it all ....

Try the next release of the software, coming the end of this week and there's a good chance it should resolve the issue.

I'm running the NaS via USB to MDac and wondered why a USB cable with only the 2 data conductors connected wouldnt largely solve the issue of needing an isolator.
Has anyone made a USB cable?
I read a long article comparing USB cables and the author concluded that there were benefits of higher spec. cable.

While USB Power is not used to "power" the MDAC - it is used to signal the Host Device (PC) is present (Plug-in).

In a non isolated system, you need the Ground connection to maintain a controlled potential between MDAC and Host...

John

Buy an USB isolator (about GBP35) and use cheap USB cables - Pls. don't waste your funds on expensive USB cables!

Hi John

Not been following the thread for a while, when is the MPax due to be out, no rush, just curious
James

Hi James,

First tool parts for the casework should be ready around 20th March - Looking forward :)

I'm currently working on a budget DAC - so I've not started the PCB layout for the M-PAX yet...

The budget DAC uses the same Feedforward PSU design that I've developed for the MPAX so at least it will give me a chance to test the circuit architecture :)

John, many thanks for such speedy advice, I'll put the cable money towards 2 of your power amps instead!!

How is volume control going to work on the phono inputs of the M-Pax?.

The NAS stores the music and is connected to the M-DAC via USB.

The NAS is also connected to the 'networwork' via ethernet and can be controlled with any network enabled product PC,Tablet, I Phone. I currently have a wireless Pc until funds permit and I needed to prove that it works!.

It does.......brilliantly.

Its a Synology DS211J ( £150) which can take 2x 2TB hard drives (£ 100 each)
set up in a raid 1 array so if one drive goes belly up I wont loose 2000 Cd's and all my DVd's .

How is volume control going to work on the phono inputs of the M-Pax?.

There's a communication BUS between the MDAC and MPAX - the MDAC will recognises the MPAX and shares the volume control reasonability’s.

Normally the MPAX Analogue inputs are designed for AV bypass duty's (no Gain Control),fFor full analogue gain control on the Analogue input you will require the additional MPAX full range Step-attenuator option (which can be retrofitted at any time by the owner) – target price is GBP100.

The "Full range" attenuator operates from +6dB to -80dB or so...

You will need a Phono Preamplifier if you want to use with a turntable as the MPAX is line level only.

John

The NAS stores the music and is connected to the M-DAC via USB.

The NAS is also connected to the 'networwork' via ethernet and can be controlled with any network enabled product PC,Tablet, I Phone. I currently have a wireless Pc until funds permit and I needed to prove that it works!.

It does.......brilliantly.

Its a Synology DS211J ( £150) which can take 2x 2TB hard drives (£ 100 each)
set up in a raid 1 array so if one drive goes belly up I wont loose 2000 Cd's and all my DVd's .

Thanks for the reply, so what software are you using on the NAS to play the music ?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back