advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone taking an MDAC to the Scalford show, since I'd like to hear one :)

Failing that, anyone fancy lending me one so I could do a DAC shootout in my room?

Tim

yes, provided that
  • Both standard and "special" ports are operating correctly and configured identically
  • You can tell them apart to a statistically significant degree (i.e. considerably better than pure chance would permit)
I use a perfectly standard Asus netbook (2GB memory) fed via wi-fi from a straightforward NAS device. Quite frankly I am horrified at the extent to which some vendors, catalysed by paranoid audiofools, are perverting the whole concept of cheap, simple computer audio into something more appropriate to a Harry Potter story than audio technology.

Yes agreed, its all hearsay until surely enough people ( and not just vendors ) praise its worth or you listen to it personally.

Still haven't read what it does differently compared to say a usb isolating device such as the Olimex.

Isolating its power supply and being separate from the motherboard is surely as positive step , but we are being subjective here without the ablity to prove sonic benefits. Falling into the same argument of how much jitter reduction is audible.

Theres a graph on the auralti website which shows noise reduction when the Sotm filters are in place , but no such details on the USB card.

I'm going to build a server specific for music server duties as detailed previously without the Sotm device. I'll then either keep reading the evidence and will see if I can try before I buy.

The squeezebox touch is not as good via optical to challenge my laptop usb interface. If Johns mods improve the SBT jitter via optical then I'll stick with the SBT. Will hold fire on the Sotm components for a while.

Yes agreed, its all hearsay until surely enough people ( and not just vendors ) praise its worth or you listen to it personally.

Still haven't read what it does differently compared to say a usb isolating device such as the Olimex.

Isolating its power supply and being separate from the motherboard is surely as positive step , but we are being subjective here without the ablity to prove sonic benefits. Falling into the same argument of how much jitter reduction is audible.

Theres a graph on the auralti website which shows noise reduction when the Sotm filters are in place , but no such details on the USB card.

I'm going to build a server specific for music server duties as detailed previously without the Sotm device. I'll then either keep reading the evidence and will see if I can try before I buy.

The squeezebox touch is not as good via optical to challenge my laptop usb interface. If Johns mods improve the SBT jitter via optical then I'll stick with the SBT. Will hold fire on the Sotm components for a while.

I've bought one and an M2Evo...

Waiting for some other kit till I actually build the server. Happy to lend them over once I have had a chance to do some testing.

Not convinced anything is going to be gained out of it so... If I thought there was would be useful to have a second ear!

I've bought one and an M2Evo...

Waiting for some other kit till I actually build the server. Happy to lend them over once I have had a chance to do some testing.

Not convinced anything is going to be gained out of it so... If I thought there was would be useful to have a second ear!

Sometimes you have to be brave and jump in with both feet. I'm assuming your refering to the Sotm usb card did you go for any of the filters for hhd/ssd and fan ?

Will be manic for me for the next few weeks as other half is expecting in 10 days, but once I get my build sorted I'll be in touch.

did reset to factory settings - got 1 more input working, toslink 2.
so now it's only spdif 2 frozen. maybe i try to change cables:)

That seems so odd??

I thought that if the reboot worked at all then it would work on everything. A cable swap is worth a try, just in case. And perhaps one more reset?

If not then I think a swap out for a new one when they arrive perhaps?

Hi John,

I ordered M-DAC yesterday and I read the manual online.

I don’t know what I have to use with Windows Seven and Foobar v.1.1.10:

- WASAPI (on pag.17);
- ASIO4ALL (on pag.14-16)

What do you suggest?

And could you tell me, please, where is the Bitperferc Test Files from the Audiolab website? I can’t find it.

Thank you.
Stefano.

Couldn't resist any longer - have just placed an order for MDAC from Frank Harvey's online shop (hope that's a safe bet - feedback looks pretty good). Just hope there isn't too much of a stock wait - reading all these positive reviews it's going to be painful if there's no stock for a few weeks!

- John

Hi John,

I ordered M-DAC yesterday and I read the manual online.

I don’t know what I have to use with Windows Seven and Foobar v.1.1.10:

- WASAPI (on pag.17);
- ASIO4ALL (on pag.14-16)

What do you suggest?

From my understanding on Windows 7 your best bet is WASAPI.

Thanks John loving the dac using now as you suggested.

One quick question on cable connection from my SB Touch to the dac should it coaxial or toslink? What length?

Is Belden based cable a good choice?

Thanks

Wayne

Couldn't resist any longer - have just placed an order for MDAC from Frank Harvey's online shop (hope that's a safe bet - feedback looks pretty good). Just hope there isn't too much of a stock wait - reading all these positive reviews it's going to be painful if there's no stock for a few weeks!

- John

No worries with Frank Harvey's great dealer !

@Tank121 - I believe optical to be better due to better isolation no electrical connectivity

OK mystery of a troubled coax 2 input solved - and I'm an idiot it's official now.

So the whole RCA female chinch (which should accept male RCA chinch attached to digital cable) is missing from the input - it's just a plastic base there.

Could be it's gone in transit (I'll check the box), pulled with a tight male chinch out or it's just a world known, Chinese QC.

Whatever it is, ain't a big deal to sort it out.

Phew! I've thought it's some major bug inside so this is a bit of revelation...

it'll be inside the cable you used first. Remove it, scrape inside of metal barrel with sandpaper, put superglue over black plastic stub on back of dac and push metal tube home- leave for ten minutes.

Did my TAG Mclaren amps like that years ago- exactly the same blocks.

Don't get too excited - I've been waiting since the beginning of December for mine (from a UK dealer). I think it's just a matter of the next shipment being imminent, but perhaps your dealer might have some stock.

Anyway, I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait. It's easy to get seduced by the prospect of Amazon and next day deliveries on almost anything so that when you do have to wait you get a little impatient... just hope I get it soon as I'd hoped to have it last week but to no avail...

When I returned my MDAC (which suffered from what seems to be a relay problem), I was quoted a delay of 4-5 weeks, implying that UK dealers will be restocked late Jan/early Feb. Let's hope for the former!

This delay is quite frustrating - dealers should mention in all ads that there is a stock problem (to be fair one does state on their site that stock won't be in until 25th Jan). I guess these MDACs must be manufactured in batches, rather than a constant stream of units being made? Or perhaps some of these (minor) QC problems are being investigated? I just don't see why it takes over a month to ramp up production and get more units out there, but then again I know nowt about manufacturing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back