advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
win 7 could sure get bitperfect with ASIO3ALL player using foobar. Just make sure your foobar vol slider is at max, disable all sound enhancement(fader etc) and take away all DSP.

has anyone got the bitperfect test passed on win7 and foobar?
I remember a post from Domink some time ago claiming it was not possible on win7

I searched in the forum and many people passed the test using Win7. I failed with both WASAPI and ASIO4ALL, now I resetted and I start again form the beginning, starting with WASAPI then ASIO4ALL

Question for JohnW: As I understand it, this new in-progress add-on for the M-DAC (the M-PAX?) is not only a PSU but will contain analogue inputs too? Hope I've got that correct. This being the case, would it be a possibility to route the digitised analogue input to the SPDIF output on the M-DAC? That way one could also use it as a very high quality ADC for archiving LPs, cassettes etc. One more useful item to put onto its CV ;)

Cheers,

- John

Hi to all and happy new year! I am new to the site and also new to Audiolab's M-DAC which I just ordered from the local, in Greece, distributor. The question is, do I have to check something in peticular in terms of firmware versions etc in order to be sure that I have the latest and more robust, if any?

I thank you in advanced
Thomas

As I understand it, this new in-progress add-on for the M-DAC (the M-PAX?) is not only a PSU but will contain analogue inputs too? Hope I've got that correct. This being the case, would it be a possibility to route the digitised analogue input to the SPDIF output on the M-DAC?
Wishful thinking! There is no analogue to digital conversion, just an analogue pass-through facility, sort of bypassing the "DAC in the middle".

JW has said that an ADC will come in due course.

Ah I see - thanks PlutoX. Nice to know there will be an ADC making an appearance at some point though.

ADL,

Are you sure you have set your Asio Buffer size to 2048 Samples!!

Yes

win 7 could sure get bitperfect with ASIO3ALL player using foobar. Just make sure your foobar vol slider is at max, disable all sound enhancement(fader etc) and take away all DSP.

Yes. I followed mdac manual isntructions.
One strange thing compared to the manual, is that, when I configure ASIO V2 driver, I cannot set the bit depth, I have a text that "value will be chosen automatically"

which filter settings are recommended to get the most of the HF extension/definition - if any of them really affects it. thanks!

One strange thing compared to the manual, is that, when I configure ASIO V2 driver, I cannot set the bit depth, I have a text that "value will be chosen automatically"
It is the nature of ASIO that the bit depth is implicit*. Where in the manual does it suggest otherwise?

* this is consistent with the fact that Foobar's bit depth setting is greyed-out when you select an ASIO output option.

It is the nature of ASIO that the bit depth is implicit*. Where in the manual does it suggest otherwise?

* this is consistent with the fact that Foobar's bit depth setting is greyed-out when you select an ASIO output option.

Page 13 of the mdac manual, top right

Page 13 of the mdac manual, top right
That screen grab doesn't conform to a recent version of Foobar, in which all the available output devices are prefixed by the audio output method in use - in this case ASIO : ASIO4ALL v2 In any case, unless the computer being used for playback is quite low powered, with Vista or W7 you're better off choosing the WASAPI option provided it's stable (for USB you would need to set a buffer size of 50 - 100mS, probably nearer the lower end of that range).

Likewise, recent versions of Foobar grey-out the bit-depth option when an ASIO output is selected because ASIO's internals deal with that aspect of the configuration. However, you are looking at page 13 of the M-DAC manual and it isn't until page 14 that you are introduced to ASIO4ALL! Note the screen grab at the bottom right of page 13 which shows DS : Audiolab M-DAC. The DS prefix implies that they are taking you through all the steps in a logical progression - get the M-DAC playing successfully via Windows standard output method before introducing the complications of ASIO4ALL!

Has anyone who preordered from Planet of Sound (the NA distributor) heard more up-to-date information about when they'll be getting the first batch? I ordered a silver unit so I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer, but their website is still talking about Dec 31 for the first black units and hasn't been updated.

I've emailed but haven't heard back yet, and thought I'd ask here before calling...

Thanks!

Planet of Sound's feedback as of early January was ranging from mid to late January. I'm sure that's to be taken with a grain of salt, i.e. I'm not holding my breath.
I've been waiting patiently since mid-October.

PoSD on the M-DAC as of 01/03/12: "We are still expecting the lack MDAC units to arrive mid January (between the 13th - 20th)". Going to have Elpac build a custom regulated unit before 1. sending it out to cryo treat 2. adding a Shunyata Venom 3 (or better) power cord...

mwa100-elpac-power-supplies-350x262.jpg

Want to see how it would compare to the stock adapter and the forthcoming M-PAX (for which I have already earmarked a cryo treated PS Audio Jewel C7). That said...

• Is the M-DAC mini-DIN 9 the larger 9b standard?
  • Does the mini-DIN 9 have a bar, or indentations?
  • What are the nine output pin assignments of the mini-DIN connector?
  • What are the output current (A) and voltage specs on the stock M-DAC power supply?
  • Perhaps an owner would be so kind as to post a few macro shots of the stock adapter :) ?

Replacing a linear power supply with a switch mode power supply is seldom a good idea, especially when the device has not been designed for a SMPS

What's the skinny on the lack of MDAC units available? Every online shop I emailed today said the cannot give an exact date for new stock arriving, but it'll be sometime mid-Feb. Did Audiolab just severely underestimate demand for this product or something? Frustrating as I was ready to order this week!

- John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back