advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad truth is because I have nothing else better to do. The ES9018 sits right behind the OLED display. Replacing the RCA-type digital input sockets is going to be tougher than what I had imagined, may very well leave well enough alone there. Less the front panel, the unit looks good to go for cryo treatment as well (cursory examination did not reveal the use of hot glue/silicone/epoxy anywhere). Only issue may be with what appears to be thermal paste at the heatsink locations...

The Lelons are a specifically designed custom low-ESR and high ripple capacitors, similar in rated value to Panasonic FC caps. Silmics are not a suitable replacement for these parts. You can't just swap components and expect them to sound better you have to know why you are removing and replacing things. Best leave it alone before you void your warranty.

6800655209_2d3d1c1068_b.jpg

rest of set

The Silmic IIs are quite an old design now...
And still one of the best caps. Depending on application, of course.

I'm quite curious to hear from John if swapping out the caps (especially the ones closest to the 9018) for oscons will be beneficial.

And still one of the best caps. Depending on application, of course.

I'm quite curious to hear from John if swapping out the caps (especially the ones closest to the 9018) for oscons will be beneficial.

I'd never use them in the signal path - always found them veiled sounding, robbing the sound of it's edge/detail. Of course some would like this. Much prefer Cerafines.

Of course the joy of the MDAC is there are no caps in the signal path :)

the unit looks good to go for cryo treatment as well
again, Why?

plug it in
turn it on
listen to music
sit back - relax and enjoy

with the money saved:
- buy some CDs
- download some HD tracks
- buy some wine (or other drink of your choice)

:)

^ what he said! :)

And who knows what negative effects cryo-ing will have on the less than hair-thin tracks inside the various ICs/chips? Or the caps? I'd leave WELL alone. If you're already getting the urge to replace caps, cryo-treat the DAC etc etc perhaps you need to look at getting a different unit, one you will be happy with and not feel the need to tweak?

Excellent! I have already examined the internals without taking additional shots, was considering swapping out some of the Lelon caps for Elna Silmic II equivalents, or better. It is tight in there, but workable...

img9282.jpg

Adam

I must agree you are simply the best!
Would you mind posting pictures of the power supply unit as well?

Thanks

By comparison here's the Weiss.

Thanks for the most interesting visual comparison, sq225917.
There seems to be quite a bit of digital silicon inside the Weiss, in addition to the Sabre chip. Wonder what is it for, do they apply that much digital processing outside the Sabre?

Thanks for the most interesting visual comparison, sq225917.
There seems to be quite a bit of digital silicon inside the Weiss, in addition to the Sabre chip. Wonder what is it for, do they apply that much digital processing outside the Sabre?
we don't know what's on the other side of the mdac board

sq225917, can you show/tell us?

I just stuck an rca isolator between my sub/amp & now the sub can not make the M-DAC's USB connection fail, which is great, but it added a noticeable hum to the sub :rolleyes:

Anyone have an idea why this could be?

Im going to try a different rca isolator tomorrow, maybe this one is faulty, it works in that its stopped the M-Dac's USB connection being affected by the subs rca connection, but if an isolator creates a hum in your system its kind of self defeating really

If i use the rca isolator at the amps end the hum through the sub is quite loud, if i use it at the subs end its a bit quieter, if that info makes any difference...

Hopefully the isolator i pick up tomorrow works in the same way, as in it stops the USB connection failing, but hopefully it doesn't create a hum like this one

Im glad im getting there in some way, i might just have to live with the hum for now i guess, better than the sub causing the USB connection to fail & the music stopping completely ;)

If i use the rca isolator at the amps end the hum through the sub is quite loud, if i use it at the subs end its a bit quieter, if that info makes any difference...

Hopefully the isolator i pick up tomorrow works in the same way, as in it stops the USB connection failing, but hopefully it doesn't create a hum like this one

Im glad im getting there in some way, i might just have to live with the hum for now i guess, better than the sub causing the USB connection to fail & the music stopping completely ;)

Chronic,

Your PCB's on test, it will be sent on Friday - sorry for the delay.

Have to drive 1400km tomorrow to collect a pair of Martin Logan CLS2 - so looking forward to having a decent system once again... So will send out you board as soon as I return,

John

Hi Chronic.

I know you're in London, but anywhere near Battersea?
I'll be up there on Sunday and could drop my Mdac off for you to try and pick it up a few hours later.

At last it might prove if you Mdac is causing the problem via the USB ground as John has suggested.

Send me a PM.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back