advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And still one of the best caps. Depending on application, of course.

I'm quite curious to hear from John if swapping out the caps (especially the ones closest to the 9018) for oscons will be beneficial.

The Lelon OCRz we use around the ESS are really very very good, I consider them better then OSCONs.

Also consider that the Step response of the regulators is optimized with the Lelon caps - changing the capacitors will upset the regulators - they might become unstable... too many variables to be sure...

If you really wanted you could change the capacitors on the PSU card - although the Lelons used are not the worst - but there's no harm in trying at your own risk...

John

Chronic,

Your PCB's on test, it will be sent on Friday - sorry for the delay.

Have to drive 1400km tomorrow to collect a pair of Martin Logan CLS2 - so looking forward to having a decent system once again... So will send out you board as soon as I return,

John

Nearly a thousand miles in a day John???

Are any speakers worth that?

What power amp will you be using? I hear they like a good thrashing those electrostatics.

Chronic,

Your PCB's on test, it will be sent on Friday - sorry for the delay.

Have to drive 1400km tomorrow to collect a pair of Martin Logan CLS2 - so looking forward to having a decent system once again... So will send out you board as soon as I return,

John

Thanks John, hopefully the PCB will sort it all out, right now since removing the USB isolator the only culprit causing the USB to reset is the sub, nothing else is triggering it anymore.

Im just trying to find another solution to allow the sub to play properly until the PCB gets here really

Enjoy your speakers they look amazing!

Hi Chronic.
I know you're in London, but anywhere near Battersea?
I'll be up there on Sunday and could drop my Mdac off for you to try and pick it up a few hours later.

At last it might prove if you Mdac is causing the problem via the USB ground as John has suggested.

Send me a PM.

Dave.

Thanks for the offer, it would be good to definitively know if it is the PCB, im about an hour from battersea so i will give you a shout, it just depends on if im free on sunday, i'll PM you :)

Given that using the rca isolator on my sub stops the USB connection failing, but this isolator creates a nasty hum, has anyone got a simple DIY solution to isolating the rca connection myself?

Nearly a thousand miles in a day John???

Are any speakers worth that?

What power amp will you be using? I hear they like a good thrashing those electrostatics.

Not looking forward, its like -20Deg C Snow and Ice...

Well we recently drove from Bucky in Scotland to Czech Rep. near Bruno in 22 hours non stop, slept at the Eurostar terminal for a couple of hours - security gave me the grief as to what we where doing so long at the terminal until I explained we had just driven down from Scotland... that was really not a fun drive...

When we visit the UK we have to drive as we can only fly our dogs Cargo – and there no way I’m checking them in!!! yet we are allowed to have our dogs under 5kg with us in the cabin anywhere else in the world (except Hong Kong and Australia, again due to the legacy British connections).

Martin logan CLS's are one of the best speaker I’ve ever heard (expect there non existent Bass) – they are also one of the very worst loads - 1ohm at 20kHz, a great test for the little M-Amp :)

John

Hey John, does this mean you're going to be back up this way sooner than the end of Feb? If so, give me a shout & we can organise the CDQ... ta.

Martin logan CLS's are one of the best speaker I’ve ever heard (expect there non existent Bass) – they are also one of the very worst loads - 1ohm at 20kHz, a great test for the little M-Amp :)

John

A couple of ML Descent subwoofers will sort the bass out, I'm sure, but like quads, the apparent bass seems very room dependent, you need a really big room, and an understanding family!

Well we recently drove from Bucky in Scotland to Czech Rep. near Bruno in 22 hours non stop, slept at the Eurostar terminal for a couple of hours - security gave me the grief as to what we where doing so long at the terminal until I explained we had just driven down from Scotland... that was really not a fun drive...

When we visit the UK we have to drive as we can only fly our dogs Cargo – and there no way I’m checking them in!!! yet we are allowed to have our dogs under 5kg with us in the cabin anywhere else in the world (except Hong Kong and Australia, again due to the legacy British connections).

John

You must love the punishment John :eek:

If the Mamp can drive those great big football fields I'll be having a pair please :)

So how about an M Sub too then? :D

Wow - that's one hell drive for a pair of speakers, but I guess you really can't really entrust them with a carrier to deliver them with the safe handling they'd require.

I've been researching ML speakers a bit and really keen on a pair of the new Ethos with built in powered sub. They still present a 1ohm load at 20kHz so if you little M-amp is optimized for ML electrostats then put me down for a pair (any update on ETA?).

re the underside of the Mdac, sorry i thought I'd mentioned it, there's no silicon underneath, it's all on the top. The big chunk in the Weiss is the Dice firewire controller, a very temperamental chip.

Would you mind posting pictures of the power supply unit as well?

881 grams = 31.1 oz = 1.9 lbs

img9284t.jpg

W x H x D = ~4.0" x ~2.25" x ~2.5"

img9286j.jpg

Well-built linear (AC-AC) power supply

img9288hd.jpg

Molded side grips, rubber feet and strain reliefs

img9289x.jpg

Custom 9-pin (b) mini-DIN with strain relief

img9291v.jpg

Soft prong plating easily marred by triple-wipe receptacle contacts

img9292l.jpg

About to replace the molded AC connector with a Wattgate 330i AG...

Hey John, does this mean you're going to be back up this way sooner than the end of Feb? If so, give me a shout & we can organise the CDQ... ta.

Hi JTC,

No, we are only driving to Germany and back... atleast its warmed up a little this morning -16DegC!

I must really love HiFi ;)

You must love the punishment John :eek:

And that's what she said... ;)

If the Mamp can drive those great big football fields I'll be having a pair please :)

Well that's the intention - find the worst load I can think off :) well also - I really miss my first pair of CLS2's I've had since early 90's until the humidity in Asia killed them.

They are the most revealing speakers I've ever heard, like a massive pair of headphones. No other speaker comes close - not even any of the later ML speakers...

So how about an M Sub too then? :D

Not unless we can find a really good acoustics designer... but then a servo controlled Bass Driver / sub woofer system does appeal...

According to some retailers in Germany the M-DAC will become available next week. Can't wait to get one...

No, we are only driving to Germany and back...

John, where do you pickup your CLS2? Recently I came across a pair of black CLS2 offered near Heidelberg.

Michael

John, is there any way to hook up some quality vishay nudes/caddocks to the rca and/or xlr outputs for fixed variable attenuation without causing any impedance mismatch/misc problems? Or using a good TKD pot? Is that possible? Stock gain is too high for me to use a low-enough digital attenuation so as not to impact sound quality..

I know that there are some commercial in-line attenuators being sold but being the skeptic i am, don't trust what's going inside those pieces. All i need is the analog attenuation to run DAC direct in to power amp. Have no need (or rather, can't afford) for the extra PSU frills in the MPAX

John, is there any way to hook up some quality vishay nudes/caddocks to the rca and/or xlr outputs for fixed variable attenuation without causing any impedance mismatch/misc problems? Or using a good TKD pot? Is that possible? Stock gain is too high for me to use a low-enough digital attenuation so as not to impact sound quality..

I know that there are some commercial in-line attenuators being sold but being the skeptic i am, don't trust what's going inside those pieces. All i need is the analog attenuation to run DAC direct in to power amp. Have no need (or rather, can't afford) for the extra PSU frills in the MPAX

I'm also interested in a good solution here

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back