advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered mine exactly 3.5 months ago....AND IT ARRIVES TODAY (IN LOCAL TRANSIT) :) ... UPDATE: M-DAC has been (finally) delivered :D ...

mdaci.jpg

Good for you !

More pictures please

Here's a new version of Bitperfect Test that might help get a pass even if there is some fade-in or missing samples right from the beginning of streaming as it may be with Sonos etc. It comes with a guide which hopefully explains the procedure clearly enough. If you have any suggestions on how to improve the guide - please send them in. This will sooner or later find it's way on Audiolab website, but it's here for you now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53172137/M-DAC Bitperfect Test.zip

More pictures please
Soon, soon :) .... Had to first verify that the unit behaved as expected...
Short of the iffy RCA-type input sockets (yes, my unit is afflicted), no issues thus far with digital coax in...

img9272so.jpg

img9275c.jpg

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the guide...
I had to restart the Bitperfect test from the menu option for each test file, perhaps a mention that the Bitperfect test necessitates a menu reset (Menu > Mute) if a failure is incurred. I was in the midst of passing 16/44, cut the test short and retested 16/44 without resetting, thus putting me in an endless loop of failure. Confounding circumstances until I realized that a reset was required in between failures. Knowing this, 16/44 (WAV/FLAC) and 24/96 (WAV/FLAC) both passed under OSS4 and ALSA :D . Also might want to mention:

java -jar "/path/to/M-DAC Bitperfect Test Generator.jar"

...as an alternative method to running the file generator.

SUGGESTION: Option to disable optical (TOSLINK) out as I noticed the port being illuminated red regardless of use.
SUGGESTION: Option to skip certain filters as it is a small burden to have to cycle through everything in order to get to what you want.

Soon, soon :) .... Had to first verify that the unit behaved as expected...
Short of the iffy RCA input plugs (yes, my unit is afflicted)

RCA input?

What's the issue with the RCA plugs?

I've had a pair of very tight fitting cables (mark grant's) on & off a few times without a hint of an issue?

Rather the RCA-type digital input sockets. All three are loose and in need of the super glue fix. The RCA analog output sockets are comparatively beefy and appear to be well-built...

Rather the RCA-type digital input sockets. All three are loose and in need of the super glue fix. The RCA analog output sockets are comparatively beefy and appear to be well-built...

Surely that's something Audiolab should be doing at the factory. Users shouldn't have to superglue the phono barrels on a new unit. Not good!

Gave up waiting for an MDAC to arrive at the dealers. Luckily managed to purchase a brand-new silver (huzzahhh!) MDAC from Ducatiman for a bargain price however. Hopefully should get that some point next week. Hope the dodgy phono's are the only case of bad QC from China... Hoping the guarantee on mine will be transferable to myself, from Ducatiman as it's still a brand new/un-opened unit. Not quite sure how that works out.

- John

Hoping the guarantee on mine will be transferable to myself, from Ducatiman as it's still a brand new/un-opened unit. Not quite sure how that works out.

I don't want to put words into his mouth, but the impression I got from Steve on the helpdesk was that he could do it for a unit swap, but that they wouldn't normally transfer to another person. Worth contacting him though.

Hi Ben,

:) That it - just help me to push Dominik to work on the software update! :)

And when he's finished that one, can he please start work on another update to direct the spdif inputs out from the USB to a PC for SACD ripping ;);)

Hi Ben,

:) That it - just help me to push Dominik to work on the software update! :)

Hopefully my silver unit (which supposed to be shipped sometime in March/ April) by that time will have new Firmware installed. Or at least the firmware will be ready by then ....fingers cross ...;)

Nice pics :cool:

BTW (and off-topic) LOVE the St Marys Church sunset photos - stunning!!! I really need to get off my backside and get experimenting with my Nikon D5000.

- john

Hi John, hope your settling into your new lab.

Couple of questions,

Would it be possible to provide 2 * stereo RCA bypass in the MPAX (so 4 L/R in all) ? I'm tempted in trying out some quality RCA's (avail at a bargain price), but unfortunately will not have the opportunity to buy them in a split arrangment.

A few posts a while back were sceptic about true balanced designs. My AV power amp (Marantz MM8003) is more than likely one of those that are not. Even though it offers XLR inputs. What are the pro's and cons of not using them in conjunction with your design ?

Did you conclude about the possibility of a mini-itx housing in the new transport or would it be a separate box ?

Cheers for your help .

I'll strip mine today for Internals
Excellent! I have already examined the internals without taking additional shots, was considering swapping out some of the Lelon caps for Elna Silmic II equivalents, or better. It is tight in there, but workable...

img9282.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back