advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shouldn't take more than a week from sending out to receiving boards and stencils.
Stencils possibly. The complexity of the etch, how many you want and how much you're willing to pay for turnaround will determine how long it'll take to get boards. Just hope the design doesn't use MLC caps as there's a bit of a shortage of these parts just now with lead times of up to 20 weeks.

He was hung up on the streamer boards waiting for parts put dev back a few weeks. This was a few months back

John, ignoring the unhelpful circular frustrations being expressed above are you able to give a statement about how you intend to proceed?

I know your plan was to stick to updates on Facebook, but having heard Tony’s views it would be good to hear an acknowledgment and response to that please.

I am still interested in updates surrrounding progress and I am not on Facebook.

It shouldn't take more than a week from sending out to receiving boards and stencils.
Perhaps if taken literally but we have many times before been (supposedly) as near to completion as we are now. There have in the past been excuses and/or redefinitions of the project (eventually what happens first is that the deadline spins past). How long it ought to take is irrelvant. If that were a consideration we would have had one years ago.

This project jumped the shark ages ago, at the very latest when it was no ready for Munich 2017, but more likely when it was not ready by the summer holidays (I can;t now remember whethe rthat was 2016, or 2015).

From where I stand it has been the case for years that there is no good reason to suppose that this will ever happen. Call it bayesian probability or common sense. I hope I'm wrong but I try to not to let hope get in the way of reason.

We have already been very badly let down. Nothing is ever going to make up for that, but actually having something delivered albeit late would somewhat mitigate the pain. As it stands I fear that, whatever the orginal intention, the pressure of producing something good enough to warrant the years of dicking around will only add to the pressure which have hitherto lead to the final act of completion being put off ad nauseam. Already the whole discrete dac thing is looking a bit out of date to me. FPGAs themselves date and the smart money in perfectionism seems now to be on doing it all in software to arbitrary precision with HQplayer or something and using a relatively simple dsd dac with a usb input to convert to analogue.

I'm looking at that fpga 16x oversampling filter on diyaudio with a keen eye. I think the smart money is looking at building block dacs. Input board, filter, conversion, output stage as discrete blocks that can be adjusted to taste.

I have TDA1541A design in the works, using a sample rate converter to present it with the correct data format, it's looking like it will be finished before the MDAC2 board!.

The TDA1541A is what I was in for (Kevin at Audioceller was going to sort one out for me) before I joined this project. Apparently it measures terribly but I know it sounds sublime (implemented well) like Vinyl to my ears every time I went there with various DACs to try defeat it and never succeeded

John said his DAC would not sound like that, but be full bodied and I concluded ‘better’ as handling higher sample rates :)

I still wait, believing this will all happen, as frustrating as it is and I do understand why there is so much venting, but I don’t think John is going to respond to negativity... he has promised no more re-designs

Already the whole discrete dac thing is looking a bit out of date to me. FPGAs themselves date and the smart money in perfectionism seems now to be on doing it all in software to arbitrary precision with HQplayer or something and using a relatively simple dsd dac with a usb input to convert to analogue.
Not sure you are correct that discrete DAC's look dated.

If you look at the trend among really expensive DAC's from the likes of MSB, DCS etc. they are now doing discrete DAC's.
Also read a few reviews of a more price friendly discrete DAC the HoloAudio or a few HQ player threads about the same.

Then it looks like the smart money is on discrete DAC's ;)

And John is adding transformers to his discrete design for attenuation, which sounds really smart to me! :cool:

P.S. having the streamer integrated is also a really smart move and puts it at the cutting edge.

Not sure you are correct that discrete DAC's look dated.

If you look at the trend among really expensive DAC's from the likes of MSB, DCS etc. they are now doing discrete DAC's.
Also read a few reviews of a more price friendly discrete DAC the HoloAudio or a few HQ player threads about the same.

Then it looks like the smart money is on discrete DAC's ;)

And John is adding transformers to his discrete design for attenuation, which sounds really smart to me! :cool:

P.S. having the streamer integrated is also a really smart move and puts it at the cutting edge.

Yep been using discrete DSD DAC, good USB card/streamer and HQPlayer since 2016. Not even a Chord DAVE could see it off, and i had it around twice (unless searing treble is your thing). At this point Westlake's finest will be a bonus when it arrives as a result.

The Bruno Putzey designed Mola Mola DAC uses Discrete DAC circuitry. I’ve heard it and it would have to be on a shortlist of the best DACs currently available. Just as John has envisaged for the MDAC2, BP sees it being improved in the future via firmware updates.

The new standalone Tambaqui BP/Bart van Lamm’s dac arrives here next week, I am genuinely interested to hear and compare it to Benchmark, RME, Weiss etc.
Keith

The new standalone Tambaqui BP/Bart van Lamm’s dac arrives here next week, I am genuinely interested to hear and compare it to Benchmark, RME, Weiss etc.
Keith

Surely the Tambaqui can’t possibly sound different to any other competently engineered DAC so given its likely preposterous price how can you justify stocking it? Unless somehow, miraculously, all the other identically-sounding DACS you have been selling are suddenly not so competently engineered after all?

I don’t really expect it to be any different, but five or six years ago when I discussed it with BP it looked an interesting design, it has attenuation and it’s Roon ready so I can use it here.
Keith

I don’t really expect it to be any different, but five or six years ago when I discussed it with BP it looked an interesting design, it has attenuation and it’s Roon ready so I can use it here.
Keith
Just as long as you only bought it in on the basis of an unsighted A-B comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back