advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never know what may be up John's sleeve - depending on what's already squeezed onto the MDAC2 board. Perhaps a case of 'Be careful what you wish for.....'
(Although 'Cuinas' John's DAC is remarkably quiet!)
I would be happy to have a face off between my Ciunas USB isolation devices & any other USB cleaners/reconditioners as I've said on my isolation devices tour thread a couple of times

I feel we will never see our MDAC2...

I came to the same conclusion some months ago. If one materialises, it will be a pleasant surprise. No bitterness on my part, however. Funding a start-up, which is effectively what we have done with the MDAC2 and Detox, is a risky business and I always assume, and did in this case, that there is a good chance of a 100% loss with any such venture.

I have to say that, even if MDAC2 should materialise, whether or not I will complete the purchase will depend upon the final cost (which, to my great surprise, is not yet known). I have moved on and neither MDAC2 nor Detox figure in my future plans. I doubt that they would be better than my current DAC (Mytek Manhattan II) anyway.

AFAIK this was never about funding a ‘start up business’ from the outset ... I still believe this is going to happen so let’s hope you’re wrong

AFAIK this was never about funding a ‘start up business’ from the outset ... I still believe this is going to happen so let’s hope you’re wrong
Strictly speaking you are indeed correct, but as the processes involved appeared very similar to those in many start-ups, I assumed the degree of risk to be similar.

I came to the same conclusion some months ago. If one materialises, it will be a pleasant surprise. No bitterness on my part, however. Funding a start-up, which is effectively what we have done with the MDAC2 and Detox, is a risky business and I always assume, and did in this case, that there is a good chance of a 100% loss with any such venture.

I have to say that, even if MDAC2 should materialise, whether or not I will complete the purchase will depend upon the final cost (which, to my great surprise, is not yet known). I have moved on and neither MDAC2 nor Detox figure in my future plans. I doubt that they would be better than my current DAC (Mytek Manhattan II) anyway.

The original estimated price was, I think, around £200 - though I expect the new board to be much, much, more expensive than that (so not what I signed up for). If the design is finalised then I’m surprised John hasn’t been able to come up with an estimate of what ‘at cost’ is likely to be.

Rather like yourself I’ll decide whether to proceed once I see the cost, also like yourself I’ve mentally written off the £5-600 I’ve contributed to the project. If nothing else I’ve learned a lesson and won’t be making the same mistake again.

If I’d have known it was going to take so many years to (possibly) come to fruition I’d never have signed up in the first place. It seems remarkable that after four years we have nothing, but Project are able to release John’s designs in a matter of months.

If I’d have known it was going to take so many years to (possibly) come to fruition I’d never have signed up in the first place.

Neither would I, but unfortunately, predicting the future is always a matter of guess work!

It seems remarkable that after four years we have nothing, but Project are able to release John’s designs in a matter of months.

Yes, curious isn't it ...

How's the Mini Streamer working out for you Rune?
It is working really well.
The hardware is done and the software does almost everything you could ask for even rip and plays CD if you attach a USB drive.
Guess this is a feature for those still suspicions about streaming.
The software has been pretty stable during my testing. Yes there are a few bugs/usability issues. But they will get fixed.
Believe me that it is a big advantage for us that there is a commercial partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back