advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news.

Any comment on the SQ from the nice new ESS's in the ministreamer DAC ?
The MiniStreamer is the standalone streamer/Detox lite (USB purifier/isolator) and does not have a DAC.

What you are thinking about is the DevDAC with odd shaped MDAC2 Streamer PCB which I have not received.

I think John wants to ship the remaining Beta MiniStramers first.

I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on DevDAC and this and compare it to the Hugo DAC.

John has said ministreamer available for £300 plus shipping. I have just posted the following at facebook:

GBP300 sounds to be similar to expected price of Detox, once expensive Detox chassis plus chassis rejects is included. Would it be better now to scrap the Detox project, accepting that all of that development experience has been deployed into Ministreamer, and that the detoxifying achieved by the ministreamer is adequate? Ship ministreamer/detoxifier instead?

John has said ministreamer available for £300 plus shipping. I have just posted the following at facebook:

GBP300 sounds to be similar to expected price of Detox, once expensive Detox chassis plus chassis rejects is included. Would it be better now to scrap the Detox project, accepting that all of that development experience has been deployed into Ministreamer, and that the detoxifying achieved by the ministreamer is adequate? Ship ministreamer/detoxifier instead?

NOT for me. "As Designed" DETOX please.

I've lost the thread of what the relationship was supposed to be between the ministreamer or streamer or whatever and the mdac2 now. Are they supposed to be connected by usb? Does the streamer thing have a clock connection with the mdac2 a la detox or is it as far as an mdac2 is concerned , just another usb source?

No the MiniStreamer is a standalone streamer in a chassis and is not used with MDAC2.
There is another odd shaped PCB for MDAC2 or DevDAC this is the streamer you want if you are getting MDAC2. It will be clock locked to the MDAC2 which is the best solution.
On the other hand if you want a standalone streamer in another system then MiniStreamer is of interest

No the MiniStreamer is a standalone streamer in a chassis and is not used with MDAC2.
There is another odd shaped PCB for MDAC2 or DevDAC this is the streamer you want if you are getting MDAC2. It will be clock locked to the MDAC2 which is the best solution.
On the other hand if you want a standalone streamer in another system then MiniStreamer is of interest
Why? There's a load of good streamers out there with established functionality. This one sounds so much better?

The MiniStreamer is the standalone streamer/Detox lite (USB purifier/isolator) and does not have a DAC.

What you are thinking about is the DevDAC with odd shaped MDAC2 Streamer PCB which I have not received.

I think John wants to ship the remaining Beta MiniStramers first.

I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on DevDAC and this and compare it to the Hugo DAC.

Jareks now has a complete DevDAC / MDAC2 Streamer PCB set and is working on the firmware. We are in the process of designing a front panel so that the DAC can be operated "Stand alone" without the Streamer software.

I hope to have a Prototype at Munich - but I'm waiting on confirmation from the Chassis vendor, its going to be tight.

Jareks now has a complete DevDAC / MDAC2 Streamer PCB set and is working on the firmware. We are in the process of designing a front panel so that the DAC can be operated "Stand alone" without the Streamer software.

I hope to have a Prototype at Munich - but I'm waiting on confirmation from the Chassis vendor, its going to be tight.
Sounds like there is a good chance that I can get the DevDAC / streamer shortly after Munich :)
Will it be possible to use a IR remote or is that too much to ask for :D
I do not mind a chassis in a beta state, just like the MiniStramer.

Why? There's a load of good streamers out there with established functionality. This one sounds so much better?
You could say the same for any category.
There are lots of streamers but many of them are expensive because you pay more for marketing and streamer software development not the streamer hardware.
Can you give examples?

MiniStreamer+lifetime Roon subscription is hard to beat. Both hardware wise and software wise.
The time of hifi brands developing their own streamer software is ending it is too expensive and the result is at best mediocre.
Volumio + RoonReady is cost effective and does not require a big development effort compared to building something from scratch.

How does the ministreamer connect to a DAC, via USB ?

Via USB (as Rune has answered :) ) The advantage of the USB connection is that with ASync USB the DAC is Clock Master so you have a "Jitter Free" audio interface unlike SPDIF, also the USB interface supports HiRes (384KHz and DSD).

The MiniStreamer has an external USB input that can be connected to your PC etc. so you can select Streamer or External "Detoxed" USB routed to the DAC.

The Streamer has 3 functions:-

1. Streamer :)

2. USB Detox

3. HQ low noise 5.2V PSU (for external powered DAC's).

The advantage of the MiniStreamer is that it allows us to test the software for the MDAC2 using existing DAC's, Gain production experience and bring in funds.

Sounds like there is a good chance that I can get the DevDAC / streamer shortly after Munich :)
Will it be possible to use a IR remote or is that too much to ask for :D
I do not mind a chassis in a beta state, just like the MiniStramer.

IR Remote detector is included with the Chassis / Front panel - we will make it compatible with either the MDAC Handset or the original Apple Remote.

You have the Universal Chassis rendering in your FB PM.

Last edited:
John, is the MDAC 2 going to use the same 10 pin power input connector on the PCB ?

If so do you have the part number/make.

I'm embarking on some super regulators to clean up the output from my Calex supplies.

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back