advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John
In order to bi-amp some speakers you would need 2 sets of outputs coming out of the MDAC. You could use the balanced and single ended outputs but I'd prefer to use a Y cable to split and duplicate the balanced outputs. Is there any problem with doing that - presumably it halves the current going to each amplifier - ?

I use XLR Y splitters to feed my TC amps and sub.
Neutric have some 'large' boots which allow 2x XLR cables into 1 plug.

Designacable.com

John
In order to bi-amp some speakers you would need 2 sets of outputs coming out of the MDAC. You could use the balanced and single ended outputs but I'd prefer to use a Y cable to split and duplicate the balanced outputs. Is there any problem with doing that - presumably it halves the current going to each amplifier - ?
Its not current that feeds the power amps, but voltage. A y-cable does not change voltage ( significantly). The MDAC outputs voltage changes.

Its not current that feeds the power amps, but voltage. A y-cable does not change voltage ( significantly). The MDAC outputs voltage changes.
Yes I know it's voltage that is the variable and determines volume from the power amp, but what I don't know is whether the input current level has an effect on the amount of current the power amp can deliver.

Yes I know it's voltage that is the variable and determines volume from the power amp, but what I don't know is whether the input current level has an effect on the amount of current the power amp can deliver.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the current output from the MDAC will affect the current output from your power amps.

Some people use this line level output to run headphones, in that case a y-cable may cause a volume decrease if two headphones were attached....but I don't think anybody does that.

I eventually got the shed roof fixed and have now put Volumio onto my RPi3 and it works well via the built in audio, but, although Volumio recognises the MDAC, and I've selected that as my output, but, it doesn't work. The MDAC doesn't seem to be seeing any output from Volumio. Has anyone got Volumio working with the MDAC? If so, how? I note the the MDAC isn't on the Volumio compatibility list.

MDAC works here.... you need to turnoff the I2S option in Volumio - we have a customized version with quite a few differences so we have a different setup screen.

Hi John any news on post 1459 Page73 ? Thanks.
I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

I really hope its the same power connector and pin layout as the MDAC as I have the MCRU PSU which I'd like to use until the FDAC turns up and this uses the original MDAC layout.

MDAC works here.... you need to turnoff the I2S option in Volumio - we have a customized version with quite a few differences so we have a different setup screen.
I tried switching off I2S and selected MDAC which had appeared, but no joy. Not going to have chance to try it again for a couple of weeks, but as long as I know it 'should' work, I can probably get it to work... my RPi with Moode and Squeezelite is working fine, for now.

I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

I really hope its the same power connector and pin layout as the MDAC as I have the MCRU PSU which I'd like to use until the FDAC turns up and this uses the original MDAC layout.

I am referring to the connector on the PCB internally, as I have bypassed the internal PSU smoothing/rectification and on/off switch board.

I now wish to reduce the ripple from the 5 rail Calex supplies from their 5 millivolts down to 4 microvolts using super regulator chips.

If this brings the same level of improvement that adding the Calex supplies did I will be well pleased.

Paul,

Sorry for the delay responding, I need to think about the answer as the MDAC2 has different PSU requirements to MDAC and I'm trying to workout how we can reuse a modified MDAC supply.

Basically the MDAC2 will not need the negative supplys....

I am arriving also arriving Thursday evening and leaving Sunday morning. I hope we will meet. Who else will be there?
I have a meeting on Thursday evening - but will be around from the Wednesday evening to Sunday - we should arrange a PFM meal :) but I'm sure we will be walking around the show as a Group.

I'll have the MiniStreamers and maybe the DevDAC so we can test with Michelangelo and give him feedback....

Rune, bring your Ministreamer and I'll update to the latest spec.

The MDAC could drive speakers directly, so it will not have a problem driving a pair of Amps. Best to use a single XLR cable and split at the AMP end (just removes the extra Cable capacitance loading).

I have a meeting on Thursday evening - but will be around from the Wednesday evening to Sunday - we should arrange a PFM meal :) but I'm sure we will be walking around the show as a Group.

I'll have the MiniStreamers and maybe the DevDAC so we can test with Michelangelo and give him feedback....

Rune, bring your Ministreamer and I'll update to the latest spec.
Yes, I will bring my MiniStreamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back