advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to expand ?

Well the pro's and con's can be simply defined with the word - incompatability.

I wish to use this, to control that, should be simple in this day and age - no.

The Lightning DS is good but only available on Apple devices,so I had to borrow one, a year ago..
I would prefer to use the GUI of JRiver on my laptop though.

I believe Auralic have a team of 3 dedicated software guys working on support and development, yet it has taken over a year to enable desktop control of the device, with no control of the library as yet.

I tripped over a comment on a forum this afternoon which stated "Calculus is simpler than computer audio "

I agree there is a myriad of media players, servers and renderers all vying to dominate using their own protocols and software solutions. A mountain of hardware all using it's own operating systems with constant updates.

It's not an area that I would wish to join looking for solutions.

Having said that my system works well and has great sound quality, though any problems with the Wi-Fi network means -no music..

This is a useful read with UPNP/Open Home a third of the way down.

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/homenet-audio.html

One of the advantages of building a few Detox boards (without chassis) is to gain working "production" experience of the Detox design - the same advantage gain with the Ministreamer Beta units.

Sadly, the UK pricing for the Detox chassis was inaffordable as expected - so China and dealing with the quality control repercussions is the only route forward.

To be quite honest this scares me as I'm facing QC issues even with the simple Ministreamer chassis - you really have to be on top of vendors everyday to keep them in check, just reminds me of the reasons that kept me in Asia since 1992...

John, we don't need to know what aspects of the production "scare" you. We need you, as the designer, to make a CLEAR and DEFINITIVE DECISION on the way forward. Anything else is just messing about. And we've had enough of that.

Last edited:
Matt,

For Detox there is no choice but to move forward with CNC chassis from China - and build in a 50% reject rate... Hopefully this will be high enough to cover the end reject rates.

John, I'm pleased to hear that a final decision has been made WRT the Detox box. Is this now on order?

John, I'm pleased to hear that a final decision has been made WRT the Detox box. Is this now on order?
Me as well.

Hopefully the reject rate is pleasantly well below your estimated 50%.

Will be interested to hear what the CNC box will cost assuming the 50% reject rate as a worst case.

Hallo John

If the Detox Production starts I think it is the right time to give a summary of the Product.
* For what is it for?
* What are the features with / without connected Lakewest HW?
* Future plans for the Detox ( e.g.: integraton in FDAC / always a stand alone Tool)?
* Price ;-) ?
a.s.o.
Thank you

Fred,

The Detox order book is closed and I have no plans to build anymore more units beyond those who have already sponsored the development.

With the need to complete the other designs, I don't have the time to commit to production beyond building the PFM development sponsor units - I've personally invested into the mini SMT line as I see it as the only practical method to meet the PFM development commitments, not with any longer-term "production" plans.

Once the PFM units are shipped, I'll access the situation and decide on a future path.

I did ask for a reason. I am one of the FDAC / Detox sponsors.
The plan was to start with a standard Detox plus MDAC2 and then later a FDAC.
I am still with the FDAC. But the journey for the MDAC2 is soooooo loooooong ongoing. I need a new DAC now. To bridge the time until then I am building a DIYaudio R2R DAC. I am not sure if the Detox is useful for this DAC. I don't think so.
My understanding is a kind of Detox is part of the FDAC. My understanding is also that the only implementation of the MDAC2 that will exist, is the basis of the FDAC.
Is this FDAC-Detox a reuse of the Detox or new / integrated HW within the FDAC?

We have reached a mile stone :cool:

Here is what I have just posted on FB:

My first impression of the streamer is that it is smaller than I expected the box is the same size as my Hugo DAC and looks nice enough to be on display, but will probably given its size be hidden behind something.

Getting it up and running was a breeze, but I guess some will want a quick start guide which can be found here:

https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/Quick_Start_Guide

I think it does all the basic stuff that you can expect from a streamer as well as Internet Radio, Bluetooth, Spotify and Airplay.

The most fail prof way is just connecting a USB stick or a USB HD with music.

I am right now testing it with the wireless network which is very stable and there are no problem streaming PCM 192khz or DSD64 with or without DoP.

Right now I am adding 27,000 tracks from a network Share on my NAS to see how it handles a medium large music collection including cover art.

I will return with how it goes when it is done.

My first impression of the streamer is that it is smaller than I expected the box is the same size as my Hugo DAC and looks nice enough to be on display, but will probably given its size be hidden behind something.

Getting it up and running was a breeze, but I guess some will want a quick start guide which can be found here:

I think it does all the basic stuff that you can expect from a streamer as well as Internet Radio, Bluetooth, Spotify and Airplay.

The most fail prof way is just connecting a USB stick or a USB HD with music.

I am right now testing it with the wireless network which is very stable and there are no problem streaming PCM 192khz or DSD64 with or without DoP.

Right now I am adding 27,000 tracks from a network Share on my NAS to see how it handles a medium large music collection including cover art.

I will return with how it goes when it is done.
It's interesting that you think the chassis for the streamer is nice enough to display, as the finish was a concern of John's. From your report the software seems good enough and must have passed the 5-minute JW test. John has high finish standards so I reckon even the below-par Detox chassis will be good enough for most...as long as the ports and knobs line up correctly.:D

Does it come with volumio preinstalled or with some basic linux or something?

I'd assumed it was effectively sealing the screens that was the issue with the Detox cases. In which case I'd probably settle for slightly less than perfection. Just this once.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back