advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that you think the chassis for the streamer is nice enough to display, as the finish was a concern of John's. ... John has high finish standards so I reckon even the below-par Detox chassis will be good enough for most...as long as the ports and knobs line up correctly.:D
I don't know how much of the design of the physical build of the miniDAC (the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) was down to John, but it's worth noting that it is very fine. The chassis is not flashy, or overtly decorative. But it is elegant, clean, respectable, quality, well-finished. Certainly nice enough to display. And with the ports and knobs lining up very precisely. The chassis, connectors and knob and pcb mounting are simple but solid, sound. Internally, the pcb layout is dense but tidy, with attention given to a pcb copper shield between USB input and analogue output.

Yes, there are some awkward aspects to the Detox's chassis (extreme shielding), but not to the other products' chassis.

Yes volumio was preinstalled so no fiddling with linux for those that just want something simple and get going instantly by either connection a UBS stick/harddrive or pointing to a network share.

My long term plan is Roon not Volumio but I will test it for some more days to test functionality and stability now with about 27,000 tracks added.
Think that a 2400 album library is a reasonable size to test with. Much bigger then I would use Roon or LMS.

The UI sometimes get a little unresponsive but nothing serious. Music play back has been stable so far. I have mainly played 24 high res tracks.

Yes volumio was preinstalled so no fiddling with linux for those that just want something simple and get going instantly by either connection a UBS stick/harddrive or pointing to a network share.

My long term plan is Roon not Volumio but I will test it for some more days to test functionality and stability now with about 27,000 tracks added.
Think that a 2400 album library is a reasonable size to test with. Much bigger then I would use Roon or LMS.

The UI sometimes get a little unresponsive but nothing serious. Music play back has been stable so far. I have mainly played 24 high res tracks.

The install should already support ROON - its not certified yet so you will get a message as such & also supports Tidal.... I'm not sure how well the ROON integration works, but its in the process of being updated to the latest ROON SDK.

I wonder how 24000 Albums works!!! Wow!

I don't know how much of the design of the physical build of the miniDAC (the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital) was down to John, but it's worth noting that it is very fine. The chassis is not flashy, or overtly decorative. But it is elegant, clean, respectable, quality, well-finished. Certainly nice enough to display. And with the ports and knobs lining up very precisely. The chassis, connectors and knob and pcb mounting are simple but solid, sound. Internally, the pcb layout is dense but tidy, with attention given to a pcb copper shield between USB input and analogue output.

Yes, there are some awkward aspects to the Detox's chassis (extreme shielding), but not to the other products' chassis.

Jarek and myself designed the whole Pro-Ject DAC including the mechanical (based on the pre-existing S-line), the chassis are very well made in Slovakia - but I understand that the vendor is only allowed to work for Heinz which is a shame.

I back in contact with the Chinese vendors for both the Detox and DevDAC Chassis so the ball is set into motion.

The install should already support ROON - its not certified yet so you will get a message as such & also supports Tidal.... I'm not sure how well the ROON integration works, but its in the process of being updated to the latest ROON SDK.

I wonder how 24000 Albums works!!! Wow!
I can see that Tidan is supported and I will test that.
But there is no reference to Roon in the UI and if it was running my Roon Server would see it, that is why I wanted to ssh into it and just install RoonBridge my self, but the default volumio user/password does not work.

But there is no reference to Roon in the UI and if it was running my Roon Server would see it, that is why I wanted to ssh into it and just install RoonBridge my self, but the default volumio user/password does not work.

There is a small bug that's being corrected with the new ROON SDK, the Streamer doesn’t show up in Roon unless you have the DAC hooked up to the Streamer prior to booting up.

So try rebooting with the DAC connected prior to booting up...

There is a small bug that's been corrected with the new ROON SDK, the Streamer doesn’t show up in Roon unless you have the DAC hooked up to the Streamer prior to booting up.

So try rebooted with the DAC connected prior to booting up...
Sweet! I can now confirm that Roon is working. :cool:

I think it is Squeezelite is the only essential features missing.

For other streaming software I think it is OK to say that the user is on there own as long as the GPIO setup and what network driver is need for building your own solution.

Noted, I'll findout the password for you - but if you want to flash new software to the Streamers eMMC memory you can do that directly using the RPi eMMC bootloader app - once the CM3 eMMC memory is visible on your PC, then just use Etcher to upload the files.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/.../compu.../cm-emmc-flashing.md

Put the MiniStreamer into "Boot Mode" :-

1. Connect the MiniStreamer to your PC via the Mini USB connector

2. Power Up the MiniStreamer

3. Hold the rear Boot Button on the streamer for a few seconds until the Power / Standby LED starts to flash Red

4. Run the RPiBoot program on your PC and the Streamers internal eMMC memory will be visible on your PC as a drive

5. Use Etcher to transfer files to the streamers internal eMMC memory

Sweet! I can now confirm that Roon is working. :cool:

I think it is Squeezelite is the only essential features missing.

For other streaming software I think it is OK to say that the user is on there own as long as the GPIO setup and what network driver is need for building your own solution.
I think it's a plugin in volumio. maybe try the forum

There is a volumio plugin for Squeezelite, look under the plugins tab.

Ah! Hadn't realised that. I have a RPi3 'in stock' so I may build a volumio RPi to compare with my Mo0de RPi, which works brilliantly, but building a Mo0de SD card is a PITA.

Is there a 'plug and play' Volumio RPi ISO out there?

For the past 6 months its been nothing but snow and Winter weather here in Czech, then last week the Sun finally came out and for the past few days I've been thinking of switching on the AirCon - totally nuts!!! What happened to Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back