advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the Renata as mayor/councilor subplot?

Renata's doing well as a councilor - Its like a breath of fresh air with our new major - it no longer feels like the village is being run by the KGB!!!

The only worry is that elections are in October again ("We" only had a short-term in office due to over throwing the old regime mid-term) - so we have to go though the elections again very soon.... Its pressure as it be a total disaster if the old regime got back into power... as the Brexit and the US elections have shown you can never tell...

Mini-Streamers are about to be posted to a few lucky ones, next update from FaceBook “DevDAC & MDAC2 with chassis + Front Panel will be ready for Munich”

Mini-Streamers are about to be posted to a few lucky ones, next update from FaceBook “DevDAC & MDAC2 with chassis + Front Panel will be ready for Munich”
Does that mean that subscribers will be receiving their mdac2s by Munich or that some prototype, mockup or pre-production sample will be shown to someone?

Are these the mini streamers that were sent out about a month ago? I keep losing track.

<moderating>

I’ve removed a few troll posts and thread-craps. The mod team are consciously attempting to keep our distance here and allow all stakeholders a platform to voice their opinions without showing editorial bias, but I draw the line at onlookers who have no part in the project trying to prod people for effect. That is very clearly trolling, very clearly thread-crapping, and will be moderated in accordance with the AUP.

Lead software contender at the moment is OpenHome

OpenHome Streaming Audio

We think OpenHome is the most complete, most capable and most accessible platform for top quality digital audio streaming available to developers today.

A mature technology deployed in some of the highest quality digital streamers available on the market, OpenHome lets you enjoy audiophile quality digital music streamed from your networked music library, internet radio or premium quality digital streaming services such as Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify.

OpenHome makes it easy to listen to your music all around the home, in perfect synchronisation. Players remember your playlists allowing you to see what’s playing, add to the playlists and change audio volume on any device, in any room from any controller.

With gapless playback, support for a wide range of audio formats and up to 192kHz audio, OpenHome brings you high quality audio streaming in the most flexible and accessible way. It is an open technology based around interoperability allowing you to mix and match your favourite devices from different manufacturers whilst retaining all the functionality and quality you want from your multi-room setup.

Imagine your music anywhere in the home - high quality, beautifully synchronised, on any device.

The marketing sounds great, and it works very well with Auralics Lightning software.

There are however many if's and but's.

Don't blame John, he can't help himself, compromises aren't in his book, so it's never going to be good enough. Remember he promised to design the best DAC he could, well it's never gonna be the best, always something that can be improved.

Yes but what really bothers/worries me is that we are now talking about designs that were done/completed some years ago, including the Detox, and because of the production issues we will end up with products that quite frankly will have been superseded in design/performance just because of the time it has taken to actually produce anything. Or will the likely conclusion be reached that they are out of date and more up to date/designs need to be designed/manufactured to take advantage of the current chipsets etc and so we start again?

OK, Noted - I could maybe consider running a batch of PCB's and the customer installs it into a chassis when they are available.

The complication is the main regulator is mounted onto the chassis base for heatsinking, I'd need to consider a method to heating that can be removed when the chassis are ready...

The problem is that is a fine solution for those who can deal with a PCB only option. Depending on how many individuals that applies to it leaves the rest more than likely having to pay extra because the numbers required for the case is now smaller.

Once again to satisfy the vocal few more options are being considered with all the potential issues that goes with that. If the Detox is going to happen it should be just the one option or, as has been previously suggested, perhaps it is time to just scrap it and allow the funds to be transferred. How about putting that up as an option!

One of the advantages of building a few Detox boards (without chassis) is to gain working "production" experience of the Detox design - the same advantage gain with the Ministreamer Beta units.

Sadly, the UK pricing for the Detox chassis was inaffordable as expected - so China and dealing with the quality control repercussions is the only route forward.

To be quite honest this scares me as I'm facing QC issues even with the simple Ministreamer chassis - you really have to be on top of vendors everyday to keep them in check, just reminds me of the reasons that kept me in Asia since 1992...

<moderating>

I’ve removed a few troll posts and thread-craps. The mod team are consciously attempting to keep our distance here and allow all stakeholders a platform to voice their opinions without showing editorial bias, but I draw the line at onlookers who have no part in the project trying to prod people for effect. That is very clearly trolling, very clearly thread-crapping, and will be moderated in accordance with the AUP.
Excellent intervention, and we all know which loser was doing the crapping. Good riddance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back