advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MDAC2 cannot be operated without its PSU - the PSU is not an option. For those who can DIY a PSU then I can provide information, but its a 6/7 Rail PSU and thus far more complex then usual - also care must be taken in its construction as the Digital / Analogue domains are galvanically isolated.
I was thinking about using the mdac PSU but it seams that would be impossible, well it's no big deal for me.

The big step in sound quality comes when going from PCM to DSD - there's little sonic improvement going from 96KHz, 192KHz and then 384KHz - but a big difference when the Decimation / oversampling filters are removed from the signal chain (with DSD).

You keep pushing for higher then 768KHz but this is crazy (768KHz is already "madness"), I know of no recordings or even Audio grade ADC that samples this fast - forget DSP at this rate.

IMO, for sound quality only native DSD brings a us closer.
Yea the mdac2 adc would have to match it, i plan to do some recordings myself using earthworks QTC50 or better. Maybe we could do our own hifi recordings and share it between each other?

The main advantage with dsd recordings is that the recording company cannot destroy the music kn order to win the loudness war, PCM at 768KS/s should be transparent. In general it is very difficult to find suitable recordings for HIFI systems http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Is the "MDAC2 with Dual ESS9028PRo DAC PCB" designed to replace a standard MDAC PCB? Because i don't have an MDAC anymore, or can we buy an alternative housing for the new MDAC2?

As the MDAC2 starts to finally come together - the path to FDAC is also clearer, the MDAC2 will be released in "Stages":-

MDAC2 with Dual ESS9028PRo DAC PCB

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator

FDAC based on MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator and Tube output stage.

Each step of the MDAC2 path will (hopefully) be user upgradable by exchanging internal PCB's.

Also the MDAC2 external PSU will be offered in two versions, the initial design will be "Just" a HQ PSU, with a later version with internal CDRom slot loader + SDD Drive bay and front panel mounted USB port (for USB Flash drives) to form a complete solution with the MDAC2+ Streamer.

WRT the streamer I need to stress we use the RPi CM3 module - this is designed for industrial applications where we can design the I/O etc.

The Linked RPi type "Computer" board is useless for our application as they cannot be incorporated into a "professional" design forgot about clock-lock etc.

If you look at the linked Board you can see the I/O connectors cannot be arrange onto a rear panel - and also these board does not support a 24Bit LCD interface.

Using the CM3 we can design the streamer PCB for lowest EMC and other factors that allow an "optimised" audio solution.

Later we would like to use the iMX6 but thats further down the road.

John, is it possible to integrate a second line input in the PSU case? I need 2x IN (home theatre and phono). For phono i can use the ADC input on the back of the MDAC2. But the MDAC2´missing home theatre input would be a reason to wait for the FDAC...

"Also the MDAC2 external PSU will be offered in two versions, the initial design will be "Just" a HQ PSU, with a later version with internal CDRom slot loader + SDD Drive bay and front panel mounted USB port (for USB Flash drives) to form a complete solution with the MDAC2+ Streamer."

As the MDAC2 starts to finally come together - the path to FDAC is also clearer, the MDAC2 will be released in "Stages":-

MDAC2 with Dual ESS9028PRo DAC PCB

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC

MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator

FDAC based on MDAC2 with "Dacapo Anniversary" Discrete DAC + FPGA Modulator and Tube output stage.

Each step of the MDAC2 path will (hopefully) be user upgradable by exchanging internal PCB's.

Also the MDAC2 external PSU will be offered in two versions, the initial design will be "Just" a HQ PSU, with a later version with internal CDRom slot loader + SDD Drive bay and front panel mounted USB port (for USB Flash drives) to form a complete solution with the MDAC2+ Streamer.

John, as you are increasing the features of the FDAC (discrete DAC, tube output stage), I'm assuming the access to the MM/MC input option will become more expensive. Any thoughts on making that option available for the MDAC2?

Well, I guess it also means there is more time to save up money :)

John, as you are increasing the features of the FDAC (discrete DAC, tube output stage), I'm assuming the access to the MM/MC input option will become more expensive. Any thoughts on making that option available for the MDAC2?

Well, I guess it also means there is more time to save up money :)

Vinz,

We did discuss internally the option to build in an MM / MC stage into the PSU as an option - but sadly no space in the MDAC2 itself.

We still have this idea on the cards - but the HQ PSU with CD slot loader and SDD drive bay will come first on the "options list".

John, is it possible to integrate a second line input in the PSU case? I need 2x IN (home theatre and phono). For phono i can use the ADC input on the back of the MDAC2. But the MDAC2´missing home theatre input would be a reason to wait for the FDAC...

"Also the MDAC2 external PSU will be offered in two versions, the initial design will be "Just" a HQ PSU, with a later version with internal CDRom slot loader + SDD Drive bay and front panel mounted USB port (for USB Flash drives) to form a complete solution with the MDAC2+ Streamer."

We could do as an option... but it will come later.

Hey John, so we've nearly come full circle. I was just looking back to when we first chatted back in 2008 over on DIY Audio. My Dacapo had just died and you described what the new DaCapo 2 would be like. From that moment it's been hook,line and sinker for me. The sound of the Dacapo was incredible and very, very special. The way it communicated music was palpable.

Yes, its was a massive surprise to Jarek how Dacapo I designed back in 1991/2 just kill's the ESS based DAC's - so much for the march of progress!

I fear what I'd "feel" if when we listen to the MDAC2 + "Dacapo Anniversary" DAC option it sounded worst then the original design!!! that would not bode well for 25 years of extra knowledge! :eek: :rolleyes:

Sorry for not posting much recently - we have a trip to the UK pending next week and we where within 10cm of flooding out the lab a few days ago!!! so there's been a big clean-up and also arranging future flood protection (Monday the diggers arrive).

The streamer software is coming along nicely - there have been many project developments, I'll try and post more once I have time to breath.

Tuesday night I'll be free for a few drinks if anyone local to Huntingdon (staying at the George hotel), we can demo the streamer... with me will also be Jarek and Michelangelo (from Volumio).

Tuesday night I'll be free for a few drinks if anyone local to Huntingdon (staying at the George hotel), we can demo the streamer... with me will also be Jarek and Michelangelo (from Volumio).

I'm quite close, and would love to meet you both, and see the streamer..

Derek

Derek,

OK great lets meet Tuesday evening :) Jarek and Michelangelo will also be with me, so you can get an introduction to Volumio from Michelangelo :) ...

George Hotel
Huntingdon
PE29 3AB

+44 (0)1480 432444

Hi John,

I'm working and staying in Milton Keynes next week so not very far away, I would love to come and meet you.

Nick

Nick - great, once we have numbers we can arrange a meal or some such... but certainly meet in the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back