advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that my setup is quieter when using XLR compared to RCA. I have my MDAC connected to Focal CMS 50 monitors. I would have expected the XLR connection to be louder.

I'm trying to find out if this is due to the MDAC, the amplifier gain on the monitors, or the cables. The RCA cables I use are Techlink Wires XS, I have two sets of XLR cables: a pair of Van Dammes and a pair of Fisual Havanas. If I could eliminate the MDAC as the cause that would be something. Does the MDAC have a lower output on the balanced XLR? According to the manual it would seem that it has a higher output on XLR. Could someone confirm this?

Many thanks

I have noticed that my setup is quieter when using XLR compared to RCA.

Is this in a good way or in a bad way ?

It should be quieter in a 'less distortion way'.

I'm assuming that you are looking at the voltage output of RCA Vs XLR being 2.25 and 4.5 Vrms respectively and thinking that more voltage should equal more dB (louder volume) output.

There is more to fully balanced dual differential signals than that.

Over to someone who can explain the concepts in a concise manner......

Full (52pcs) kit's performance.

For me it is important to find out now, so everyone else can made up their mind for the final FDAC (or Superior) order.

Michael,

I have the "Package" pricing back from Nick with discount and its £372.06 + vat and he will create a specific order code for us :)

A question for John, showing my complete ignorance.

I recall there was some discussion about performance of the MDAC being degraded if signal was taken from both the XLR and RCA outs at the same time, I think for people running subs.

I want to have my MDAC plugged in to an amp on the XLR, and a headphone amp on the RCA. If I turn off the amp/headphone amp which is not in use, will my performance on the device I'm using be degraded? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Thanks,

Switching off a connected device might be even worst as any Opamp on the devices input will then present a non linear "back to back" diode type load which is not good sonically or for the Opamp....

Two more questions for John: BobL mentions that his Regen(s) are more effective with a better psu. So it makes sense to take the Regen's +7.5V from my new 5-rail MDAC box.
IIRC the Detox will require +12V. Is that correct?

The Regen requires 9V DC - (Centre Pin positive)

Second, using the Regen when the laptop is acting as a Radio or TV source always results in a loud burst of white noise sooner or later, so it has to be taken out of the chain every time, which is a pita. Is this likely to be a pathetic BT bandwidth issue and will I therefore have the same problem with the FDAC + Detox? Thanks

You will no issue with Detox's as it very well shielded and filtered.

is the idea that a few prototype units are produced beforehand, these are tested and approved and then (assuming they are OK) the (mainstream) production units are produced?

TO means units that are manufactured on the production line but in say 10 Pcs Qty (normally you might produce say 100 to 1K Pcs) - just to confirm design and production stability and weed out any remaining issues.

I have noticed that my setup is quieter when using XLR compared to RCA. I have my MDAC connected to Focal CMS 50 monitors. I would have expected the XLR connection to be louder.

I'm trying to find out if this is due to the MDAC, the amplifier gain on the monitors, or the cables. The RCA cables I use are Techlink Wires XS, I have two sets of XLR cables: a pair of Van Dammes and a pair of Fisual Havanas. If I could eliminate the MDAC as the cause that would be something. Does the MDAC have a lower output on the balanced XLR? According to the manual it would seem that it has a higher output on XLR. Could someone confirm this?

Many thanks

Each phase of the MDAC's output is 2Vrms - (3Vrms with +3dB), I suspect the lower level is related to gain scaling on the speakers balanced inputs.

Is this in a good way or in a bad way ?

It should be quieter in a 'less distortion way'.

I'm assuming that you are looking at the voltage output of RCA Vs XLR being 2.25 and 4.5 Vrms respectively and thinking that more voltage should equal more dB (louder volume) output.

There is more to fully balanced dual differential signals than that.

Over to someone who can explain the concepts in a concise manner......

I meant quieter volume wise :)

Yes, I was looking at the Vrms values in the manual and assumed it equated to dB levels. Thanks for pointing out that it is not that simple.

Interesting so that's about £8 each a lot better than the £16 I have paid in the past on another issue how many rsisters are in the MC stage that might need to be bulk foils as well?

I suspect the MC stage to be even more sensitive of Resistor types due to the Gain and EQ circuits...

In the next few weeks I'll be starting the "Latest" MC design based upon the experience gained with the Superior PCB - I'll answer that soon...

Michael,

I have the "Package" pricing back from Nick with discount and its £372.06 + vat and he will create a specific order code for us :)

I'll order as soon as I get the order code. I couldn't find anything in the shop yet.

Yes, I've been playing in the shop for the last 15 minutes :)

Shipment via FEDEX Int. Priority Courier -Trackable & Secure, 1 day

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back