advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00110001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really want to sacrifice 20% of FDAC potential to save what in hifi is very little money?

If we were talking about losing 20% of the overall FDAC performance then I'd agree with you, but we aren't, it's just the impact of these resistors. That said if the conclusion is that having a full set of bulk foils seriously raises the performance then I'll be paying. Thanks to Fusion for taking the financial risk of finding out.

If we were talking about losing 20% of the overall FDAC performance then I'd agree with you, but we aren't, it's just the impact of these resistors. That said if the conclusion is that having a full set of bulk foils seriously raises the performance then I'll be paying. Thanks to Fusion for taking the financial risk of finding out.

Yes also my thanks to Fusion for taking the risk.

I am looking forward to Johns findings on the performance of the full pack of bulk foils.

Interesting that you have put two Regens in series / cascade. Do you hear much better SQ compared to using only one Regen (just curious) ?.

From what I remember when I put them in, and for what it means, I thought that the second one added another "30%" improvement, though it was a bit dependent on which USB cable went where. There were similar reports from others at the time. (This setup might seem a bit extravagant, but those of us who were early adopters of the first version got a special deal on the Mk 2 replacement.)

Sounds very interesting John.

Is it still possible to join the Detox project ?.

Thanks.
Which reminds me. What exactly is happening with the detox? As I understand it the design is complete (again?) and production is estimated for October (?). Is everything in hand? production booked, prototypes delivered etc.

Well, maybe the basic (12pcs) or reduced (20pcs) kit will deliver 80% resp. 90% of the full (52pcs) kit's performance.

For me it is important to find out now, so everyone else can made up their mind for the final FDAC (or Superior) order.

Michael,

Thank you for your support for all those interested in the very best from the FDAC / Superior :)

I Emailed Nick late afternoon Monday, and waiting for his reply...

What exactly is happening with the detox? As I understand it the design is complete (again?) and production is estimated for October (?). Is everything in hand? production booked, prototypes delivered etc.

I plan a production visit in October to China for the Detox... these past couple of weeks have been devoted to Superior / FDAC.

Well, maybe the basic (12pcs) or reduced (20pcs) kit will deliver 80% resp. 90% of the full (52pcs) kit's performance.

For me it is important to find out now, so everyone else can made up their mind for the final FDAC (or Superior) order.

Yes, I will also investigate a "intermediate" more affordable Z-Foil update package for the FDAC / MDAC Superior.

BTW these are the updated values, 0.4W Charcroft Z-Foils :-

620R x4

47R x4

100R x16

470R x4

200R x8

10R x8

33K x8

I plan a production visit in October to China for the Detox... these past couple of weeks have been devoted to Superior / FDAC.
Excellent. Does a production visit mean that it will be in production then, with you supervising, or is it a meeting to discuss production?

A question for John, showing my complete ignorance.

I recall there was some discussion about performance of the MDAC being degraded if signal was taken from both the XLR and RCA outs at the same time, I think for people running subs.

I want to have my MDAC plugged in to an amp on the XLR, and a headphone amp on the RCA. If I turn off the amp/headphone amp which is not in use, will my performance on the device I'm using be degraded? I'm guessing the answer is no.

Thanks,

Two more questions for John: BobL mentions that his Regen(s) are more effective with a better psu. So it makes sense to take the Regen's +7.5V from my new 5-rail MDAC box.
IIRC the Detox will require +12V. Is that correct?

Second, using the Regen when the laptop is acting as a Radio or TV source always results in a loud burst of white noise sooner or later, so it has to be taken out of the chain every time, which is a pita. Is this likely to be a pathetic BT bandwidth issue and will I therefore have the same problem with the FDAC + Detox?
Thanks

Excellent. Does a production visit mean that it will be in production then, with you supervising, or is it a meeting to discuss production?

HOPEFULLY to approve the T0 units then stay for the first production batch.

HOPEFULLY to approve the T0 units then stay for the first production batch.
is the idea that a few prototype units are produced beforehand, these are tested and approved and then (assuming they are OK) the (mainstream) production units are produced?

I seem to remember some talk of this before but have forgotten the details.

Sorry to pester but it has occurred to me that it might be useful to know where we are in terms of each little step. if you could bear it it would be nice to know what steps need to occur for each of the projects [Detox, superior, F-dac] to get them into our living rooms. We could then tick them off like an advent calendar (OK you don't tick off an advent calendar but you know what I mean.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back